Beginner! Critique my reloading stuff and what else should i buy?

That is why I'm trying the 108 grain Scenar bullets from Lupua. However, a lady on the 65grendalDOTcom site had a recipe for her 123's and I can cover this 108 grain load with a dime. But that is with TAC powder
Well, I've loaded 123 SST over tac yesterday in 6 or 7 different charge weights that go up to 28.9. Hopefully I get some time soon to go see how they perform.

there is a difference in performance (tightness of groups) in FLAT base bullets vs the boat tail bullets. The SHOCK WAVE or gas wave starts to pass the bullet due to leakage around the boat tail and upsets the flight somewhat or some such stuff.
go to duckduckgoDOT com and type in flat base vs boat tail.
A lot of it depends on what distance you want to be shooting at too. They made note of the fact that bench rest shooters are using flat based bullets in one of the many articles.
I kind of gave up on the Hornady 123 bullets. I had LOUSY luck with the 120 Gold Dots which really bummed me out. So far, my tightest group in the 6.5 grendel has been the 108 scenar by Lupua.
I have had a hard time in the last POST COHVHID BS years due to basically the "shut down in 2019/2020", then we moved from AZ to TX in 21, then getting bullets, powder, primers, etc is all "oh due to the s uppy chain and KOHVHID etc etc". I've been trying to buy some H4895 powder for going on 4 years now. I've been playing with the Grendel loads using IMR 4064 (not to bad) Varget (slow speed) and now TAC (slow speed again). Oh well, I guess if you hit the bad guy at 2300 FPS he might put a pause on the battle!
IMHO, back when I was in Nam in 68, that 55 grain pill did NOT kill the enemy. Yeah he died maybe a half hour later after he shot you and your buddies with his 30 caliber weapon. That is part of the reason I've converted an AR to Grendel. You can't beat the 223 for Over (or Across) the Course shooting matches though with 77 and 80 grain bullets.

Reactions: stello1001
Hey all,

I'm gonna want to get into reloading very soon. Do you guys care to share any constructive criticism and lemme know what I'm missing?

Cartridges I shoot include:
6.5 man bun
6.5 grendel

I have plenty of accurate match ammo for most my rifles. My 2 bolt grendels are the ones that shoot poorly with factory ammo so I want to start loading grendel ammo.
I am trying to make ammo that will be consistent, hopefully sub MOA. I don't necessarily need sub half MOA out of these rifles. They are hunting rifles and might occasionally plink with them just for fun.

I have:

Equipment -
Rock chucker Supreme
And the dies pictured below

Components -
Varget
Blc2
Ramshot Tac
Plenty of 1x fired hornady brass
New starline brass
Wolf and federal primers small & large
130 AR hybrids
123 SST
123 AMAX
120 AMAX
120 match burners

I need a way to dump powder, a priming tool, maybe some calipers.

Can somebody recommend specific models of these that you have found to like the best or work the best?

What else am I missing?
View attachment 8423243
Left to right:
RCBS 6.5 GRENDEL SEAT 21
LEE 6.5 GRENDEL
RCBS 6.5 GRENDEL FL 21

That is what they say

** edit to add**

I should probably mention, I will probably start with blc2 and Tac using AMAX and SST bullets. Plan is to do OCW but that is later once I've actually loaded some rounds. I'm trying to get set up right now.
i have a rcbs hand primer i am selling

i'm old .i like this one

Attachments

• 61daurPyYQL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61daurPyYQL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18
the info on where to buy this is:
Monadnock Machine
Raymond Simard
45 Cobb Meadow Rd
Dublin, NH 03444
Dear Ray,
Enclosed are the two pieces of brass. One is fired from my new rifle, and one is brand new brass untouched.
Please make me a new monadnock cutting tool with the spindle. I already have the interchangeable sleeve.
Enclosed is a check for $45.00 to include the shipping and handling.
The case is a 6.5 Grendel. Enclosed is a “print” of the case from my Sierra manual number 6 (2019 edition)
Thanks Ray, Always a pleasure to do business with you.
Sincerely,
Robert xxxxx

That is a carbide cutter and they last forever. I've been using these since 2002 or so when another Highpower shooter told me about them. Be SURE to buy the FINGER PROTECTOR sleeve, that will FIT all the tools you buy. I have a cutter for .223, 243, 25-06, 308, 6.5 Grendel and 6.5x284.
you might want to call him to be sure that the price is the same.
(603) 563-8359
Good Luck
Bob

Did you ever weigh the powder from the individual factory cases instead of just dumping the powder? I was just curious whether they were reasonably consistent or wildly inconsistent.

Reading over this thread and your post reminded me of something.

I may need to pull bullets off my 1st set of reloads. My FA hand primer is new and so I haven't developed "a feel" for it yet. I ended up seating the primers a little proud and don't want to shoot them as such.

I'm guessing I'll have to pull bullets, dump powder, re-seat primers, and go from there. Unless any more experienced reloaders know if it's safe to seat primers deeper on charged cases?

Technically, the surface area on the FA primer stem is much larger than that of the firing pin, so perhaps it's totally safe but I'd like to know if other people do this or it's a NO!

Anyhow, can you recommend a bullet puller? I've been seeing the hornady a lot and may try it out. I'd probably also use it to pull factory ammo apart and evenly distribute the powder throughout all the cases for a more consistent charge across all rounds.

I'm guessing I'll have to pull bullets, dump powder, re-seat primers, and go from there. Unless any more experienced reloaders know if it's safe to seat primers deeper on charged cases?
I’ve done it before, but it makes me very nervous and it’s the most gentle handle pull. If it’s more than one or two, I’d pull the bullets and try again. You might also have to/want to resize the necks before you reseat. Depends on starting fit/how anal you want to be.

Anyhow, can you recommend a bullet puller?
Hornady can lock. No mess and no noise. Dont waste your time with any of the kinetic hammer types.

the primers HAVE TO BE flush or below the back of the case. If they are protruding that is BAD news!
DO not try to push the primer IN further on a loaded round. If the primer ignites, the CASE WILL RUPTURE and tear your hands up and possibly your eyes.
If it is just one or two rounds, I'd just dispose of them properly. It is NOT WORTH the risk of getting hurt! Ammo is CHEAP, Hands and EYES are NOT replaceable.

Hey all,

I'm gonna want to get into reloading very soon. Do you guys care to share any constructive criticism and lemme know what I'm missing?

Cartridges I shoot include:
6.5 man bun
6.5 grendel

I have plenty of accurate match ammo for most my rifles. My 2 bolt grendels are the ones that shoot poorly with factory ammo so I want to start loading grendel ammo.
I am trying to make ammo that will be consistent, hopefully sub MOA. I don't necessarily need sub half MOA out of these rifles. They are hunting rifles and might occasionally plink with them just for fun.

I have:

Equipment -
Rock chucker Supreme
And the dies pictured below

Components -
Varget
Blc2
Ramshot Tac
Plenty of 1x fired hornady brass
New starline brass
Wolf and federal primers small & large
130 AR hybrids
123 SST
123 AMAX
120 AMAX
120 match burners

I need a way to dump powder, a priming tool, maybe some calipers.

Can somebody recommend specific models of these that you have found to like the best or work the best?

What else am I missing?
View attachment 8423243
Left to right:
RCBS 6.5 GRENDEL SEAT 21
LEE 6.5 GRENDEL
RCBS 6.5 GRENDEL FL 21

That is what they say

** edit to add**

I should probably mention, I will probably start with blc2 and Tac using AMAX and SST bullets. Plan is to do OCW but that is later once I've actually loaded some rounds. I'm trying to get set up right now.
If you don’t pick up the reloading manuals there are online versions. I use Hornady app quite a bit, also there is a Sierra app with reloading info. Tons of data and stuff online, some of it conflicting.
Oh, and I also use the Vihta Vouri (?) app also. Good info.
There are 2 Hornady apps. One for reloading and the other is a shooting solutions app that will come in handy. Lots of stuff on YouTube from Hornady on reloading as well as how to use the shooting.

I've been messing with the Grendel loads since 2019 with very poor results and then finally I got this recipe from a lady over at 65Grendel.com.
I had to altar it to what bullets, etc, that I was able to buy but here it is. Remember all disclaimers apply, reduce the loads 10% and work up from there. My chamber / rifle is different then yours.
TAC by Ramshot powder 27.8 and 27.2 108 Gr Scenar LUpua bullet

27.2 Gr TAC H 2467 L 2336 AVG 2401 Ext SPRD 131 SD 92 cover 4 with a Quarter last one opened up

27.7 Gr TAC H 2452 L 2425 AVG 2438 Ext Sprd 26 SD 13.1 ß all 5 bullets you could cover with a dime!

2.221 overall length. CCI 41 starline brass 2nd firing cut to 1.510 Palmetto armory rifle w/ 1 in 8 twist SS

Timney Trigger drop in 3 pound pull

I can't get any of 3 different rifles with about 8 different powders etc to work with ANY of the Hornady 123 grain bullets. the 120 Gold Dots don't group well either.

Reactions: Bbracken667