• Fast is Fine, Accuracy is Final

New tee just dropped. Shop now!

Grab yours

Sidearms & Scatterguns Benelli M4

AngryKoala

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2020
Picked a Benelli M4 up at the LGS. I am wondering what mods you guys made to yours and how you like the mods? I already bought the extended charging handle and I'm looking for the paddle release (out of stock everywhere).

Interested to see what was done and how it impacted function and feel.

What are you trying to do with it?

I would leave it stock, maybe add the M4 stock if it doesn't already have it.

They are kind of novelty gun and alot of their value resides in provenance of the M1014. The funny thing is the only people who carry them are gate guards protecting CONUS locations like the Navy Band or 8th Street. You saw some in the early days of GWOT with outdated MOTEs, becuase the lost intiutional knowledge that a shotgun is a poor subsitute for a Carbine as a fighting gun. There is some legit use as a breacher but there are more specialized tools for those roles, and the units with dedicated breachers have a much bigger toolbox to pull from.

What are you trying to do with it?

I would leave it stock, maybe add the M4 stock if it doesn't already have it.

They are kind of novelty gun and alot of their value resides in provenance of the M1014. The funny thing is the only people who carry them are gate guards protecting CONUS locations like the Navy Band or 8th Street. You saw some in the early days of GWOT with outdated MOTEs, becuase the lost intiutional knowledge that a shotgun is a poor subsitute for a Carbine as a fighting gun. There is some legit use as a breacher but there are more specialized tools for those roles, and the units with dedicated breachers have a much bigger toolbox to pull from.

One of the tools to protect my home with. I probably won't replace the stock as I don't intend on wearing body armor all day in my home haha so the stock will stay the same.

I was looking at an mlok handguard for it but have heard negatives for each one that is on the market.

Buy an AR or 4 and keep them stashed around the house. 11.5" with a brace is hard to beat indoors.

It is superior as a HD weapon in every way shape and form. A book could be written on why its a bad idea and ignorance / inexperience perpetuate these ideas.

An exception could be made if you live in Brown Bear country, but those that do, already know whats up.

Buy an AR or 4 and keep them stashed around the house. 11.5" with a brace is hard to beat indoors.

It is superior as a HD weapon in every way shape and form. A book could be written on why its a bad idea and ignorance / inexperience perpetuate these ideas.

An exception could be made if you live in Brown Bear country, but those that do, already know whats up.

Already have that. It is one of the tools to safe guard the home.

GGG over sized bolt release
GGG over sized bolt handle
Benelli extended mag tube
Ava Tactical flash light mount
Modlite PLHV2
Scalaworks RMR mount
RMR type 2

Forgot 3 items:
Velcro elastic side saddle 8 shell
Collapsible stock. Need to find someone to put a notch in a more useful length. Stock position aren’t great.
Tritium sights

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh
Modlite PLHV2
Scalaworks RMR mount
RMR type 2

What handguard? Seems the 14" Urbino is insane to put on and take off but the 11" gets praise.

Like the list I have 2 of those done, can't find the bolt release anywhere. My astigmatism and red dots do not go well together. Maybe a 1x spitfire might do the trick.

Great list!!

That sucks that you can't get your hands on the bolt release, that is by far the most useful mod on mine by far.

Went with this flashlight mount:

My tape switch is Gorilla Glue epoxied to the left half of the stock handguard; has held on for several years, multiple range sessions, and two shotgun courses. What pops out all the time is the silly cable off the back of the flashlight, usually by the third round of 00 buck. I have yet to find a permanent solution for that.

Kept stock handguards, got a Mesa Tactical side saddle, large A2 birdcage charging handle, and GGG's bolt release. Also SBS'd it, 14" barrel, collapsible stock, and a Freedom Fighter Tactical trigger kit to meet 922 reqs.

Ah yea forgot about the side saddle, I still have to order that. I keep seeing trigger kits for it but I don't get it. Trigger seems fine to me.

Good ideas and there are some mlok cable holders that might work if I change the handguard for the light.

Reactions: Noob Sammich
What handguard? Seems the 14" Urbino is insane to put on and take off but the 11" gets praise.

Like the list I have 2 of those done, can't find the bolt release anywhere. My astigmatism and red dots do not go well together. Maybe a 1x spitfire might do the trick.

Great list!!
Stock handguard IMO

forgot 3 items. Added them in my post above

Last edited:
That sucks that you can't get your hands on the bolt release, that is by far the most useful mod on mine by far.

Went with this flashlight mount:

My tape switch is Gorilla Glue epoxied to the left half of the stock handguard; has held on for several years, multiple range sessions, and two shotgun courses. What pops out all the time is the silly cable off the back of the flashlight, usually by the third round of 00 buck. I have yet to find a permanent solution for that.

Kept stock handguards, got a Mesa Tactical side saddle, large A2 birdcage charging handle, and GGG's bolt release. Also SBS'd it, 14" barrel, collapsible stock, and a Freedom Fighter Tactical trigger kit to meet 922 reqs.
This is the light mount that I went with. Instead of a tape switch, I replaced the tail cap with one from Arisaka that eliminates the constant on position.
No Velcro, no cables.

Reactions: Noob Sammich
fun gun!
if you are just using it for HD then i would add a light although i suppose how you run it depends on the size and layout of your property.

No that would be Beretta. Due to the unreliable nature of inertia actioned shotguns, they used Berettas gas piston design in order to make something that would pass the trials.
right m2 is inertia, m4 is a piston driven shotgun.
this is why i would prefer an m4 to an m2 for combat or home defense, but i didn't already know it was baretta's deisgn.

fun gun!
if you are just using it for HD then i would add a light although i suppose how you run it depends on the size and layout of your property.

Plan on it, have to choose a handguard. Going to go with a surefire over a Modlite. I like the flood of the surefire vs. the long throw of the modlite.

right m2 is inertia, m4 is a piston driven shotgun.
this is why i would prefer an m4 to an m2 for combat or home defense, but i didn't already know it was baretta's deisgn.
Correct.

Inertia guns are much more finicky when it comes to ammo choice, the way the gun is held as well as hanging anything off of it that disrupts the recoil pulse and can cause malfunctions. Not to mention they recoil significantly more than a gas gun. Something like a 1201FP for M1S90 will just beat the living shit out of you shooting a few slugs and the other inertia guns like the M2 will beat the shit out of you after a round of 100-200 clays.

The only real benefit is depending on the gas gun, you need to clean them every 500+ rounds. Newer designs are much easier and faster to clean.

I will still take a nice A303, 390, or SX2 over just about any semi auto on the market today. The build quality and materials is leaps and bounds over what they spit out today. If they were still building those same guns today, with inflation and labors costs they would be over $3K. Those guns will last generations.

The only real choice if you want a new 3 gun/blaster IMO. The M4 is twice the price is really other than its history, doesn't bring anything to the table to be worth it.

When it comes to shotguns, when beretta is an option, its usually the answer.
the new mossberg 940 jm pro might actually be another affordable option, if they got everything right on the redesigned gas system.

Dont waste your time. Mossberg is the savage of shotgun world. Outside of the m590 there isint s gun they make worth owning.

They been trying to make a semi auto thats not a piece of shit for 30 years....buy something you know will run and hold up long term instead.

Reactions: 308pirate
Dont waste your time. Mossberg is the savage of shotgun world. Outside of the m590 there isint s gun they make worth owning.

They been trying to make a semi auto thats not a piece of shit for 30 years....buy something you know will run and hold up long term instead.

Trying to get ahold of the 590a1 as well. I'll have to look into the Beretta after I break in the benelli. Pretty happy with the purchase, great quality aesthetically (ill see how she shoots soon).

May even look into some of those other options you mentioned....because why not haha.

meh, i have had some version of a mossberg 500 for over 30 years and have never had a failure or issue with them, 90% of the shooting done out in the desert where it can get pretty dirty if there is any wind. admittedly, i don't recall dropping them onto any rocks or anything like that.
it isn't the slickest action, but i have seen a failed extractor in a 870 that somebody always brought.

I lucked into a factory M4 SBS with the collapsable stock about 12 years ago. I added a Surefire railed forend (now extinct item) so I could put on a light. As mentioned above, the notch positions on the stock could use a few more options but I like it anyway. If you plop a quality red dot or similar on top, that stocks works fine, but cranking your face down enough for the irons can be challenging. I tend to like the shorter stock length when wearing armor/etc.

Are you guys having reliability with light buck loads or even birdshot? My old M1 would eat anything, including birdshot all day long. This one is 100% for slugs and full recoil buckshot but can be "iffy" with the reduced recoil LE buckshot by Federal and won't cycle bird shot at all. I was kind of hoping it would do any and all like my old M1.

Honestly haven't shot it that much over the years - maybe a few hundred rounds of full power stuff.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
Might surprise people but between these:
Beretta 1301
M4
Scattergun 870
Tac13
Tac14
Beretta A400 28”
Beretta AL391 28”
My fave is the Tac13. Recoil, handling (duh), reliability, load flexibility. Superb

I lucked into a factory M4 SBS with the collapsable stock about 12 years ago. I added a Surefire railed forend (now extinct item) so I could put on a light. As mentioned above, the notch positions on the stock could use a few more options but I like it anyway. If you plop a quality red dot or similar on top, that stocks works fine, but cranking your face down enough for the irons can be challenging. I tend to like the shorter stock length when wearing armor/etc.

Are you guys having reliability with light buck loads or even birdshot? My old M1 would eat anything, including birdshot all day long. This one is 100% for slugs and full recoil buckshot but can be "iffy" with the reduced recoil LE buckshot by Federal and won't cycle bird shot at all. I was kind of hoping it would do any and all like my old M1.

Honestly haven't shot it that much over the years - maybe a few hundred rounds of full power stuff.
I shoot the Federal LE low recoil 00 Buck exclusively through mine. So far it has been 100% reliable with this load.
I’ve never cleaned or lubed it.

I shoot the Federal LE low recoil 00 Buck exclusively through mine. So far it has been 100% reliable with this load.
I’ve never cleaned or lubed it.
And this is what I'd like mine to do. Maybe time for a trip back to Benelli to see what's up. I bought it after hearing how it'd eat that stuff up but mine definitely won't. I've tried their lube, good old clp, slip2000, etc.... can't get through a tube of the LE stuff and the full power, while an approved option, isn't my friend after a decent range session.

And this is what I'd like mine to do. Maybe time for a trip back to Benelli to see what's up. I bought it after hearing how it'd eat that stuff up but mine definitely won't. I've tried their lube, good old clp, slip2000, etc.... can't get through a tube of the LE stuff and the full power, while an approved option, isn't my friend after a decent range session.

Do you have the limb saver on yours?

There’s not a big difference. One of those I’d add if you’re bored and want to experiment.
A spacer is needed to make the Limbsaver work without cutting a hole in the pad. Not sure if anyone is making one now, I had Limbsaver do one. It added LOP but works well.

There’s not a big difference. One of those I’d add if you’re bored and want to experiment.
A spacer is needed to make the Limbsaver work without cutting a hole in the pad. Not sure if anyone is making one now, I had Limbsaver do one. It added LOP but works well.

A future possibility. I'll see how I like the LOP first. Thank you for the reply.

Reactions: mrtoyz
I did carrier comp titanium mag tube, spring, and follower, GG&G or carrier comp charging handle (I forget which), Mesa Urbino stock, Scalarworks mount with RMR RM06, TTI safety, TTI bolt release, and more recently an Agency Arms forend. I haven’t shot it since the forend but it’s my favorite shotgun I’ve ever owned. I’ve got a handout chokes for it and it the assortment of chokes it can literally do anything a shotgun can do.

Several years ago my son bought a NIB Factory SBRed Benelli M4 . The dealer told him it was a surplus M4 from a USMC contract. The dealer told him Benelli only wanted him to sell these M4s to Law Enforcement but there really were no restrictions on who he sold them too as long as they were transferred through the ATF.

It is a real nice weapon.

Modlite PLHV2
Scalaworks RMR mount
RMR type 2

Forgot 3 items:
Velcro elastic side saddle 8 shell
Collapsible stock. Need to find someone to put a notch in a more useful length. Stock position aren’t great.
Tritium sights
Would you mind posting a pic if you have it? I'm looking at maybe adding some mods to mine and want to see how it looks with your setup.

Issues come when you hang shit off the side, especially reciever shell holders, shoot weak side, off barricades or limp wrist them. M4 doesn't have this problem becuase its a gas gun, not inertia driven. M1 M2 and M3's all have the same issues, in addition to 1201FP's.

I like short barrel shotguns. However they are not the "cone of death" out the muzzle many believe them to be; to be effective they have to be well aimed at short distances. This 14" M4 Entry is one of my favorites, but I can almost keep up the down range lead density using a 14" Mossberg 590A1 or 14" Wilson Combat Rem 870. In my opinion a short barrel 5.56 AR is a safer choice for home defense in close civilian quarters as the penetration thru interior drywalls etc is less than a 9 mm. A few of my favorite assemblies; the Aasgard Defense forward shell holders are particularly handy.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.31.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.24.21 PM.png
IMG_4372a copy.jpg
IMG_3356Mossberg 590A1 with Asgard Defense Forward Shell Holder Photos copy.JPG
IMG_3347Mossberg 590A1 with Asgard Defense Forward Shell Holder Photos copy.JPG
DSCN2164a copy.jpg
DSCN2155A copy.jpg

Correct.

Inertia guns are much more finicky when it comes to ammo choice, the way the gun is held as well as hanging anything off of it that disrupts the recoil pulse and can cause malfunctions. Not to mention they recoil significantly more than a gas gun. Something like a 1201FP for M1S90 will just beat the living shit out of you shooting a few slugs and the other inertia guns like the M2 will beat the shit out of you after a round of 100-200 clays.

The only real benefit is depending on the gas gun, you need to clean them every 500+ rounds. Newer designs are much easier and faster to clean.

I will still take a nice A303, 390, or SX2 over just about any semi auto on the market today. The build quality and materials is leaps and bounds over what they spit out today. If they were still building those same guns today, with inflation and labors costs they would be over $3K. Those guns will last generations.
What do you think of the newer Berettas like the 391 and A400? I had a SX2 and regret selling the dang thing.