• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bergara BMP or HMR Pro?

Moe0001

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2017
Hi there! I'm new to the forum and I have a question. I'm vexed between the Bergara BMP, chassis rifle, or the HMR Pro, which comes in their regular stock but has improved barrel and their TriggerTech trigger.
Looking at both in 6.5CM
BMP- chassis, 24" 4140 chromoly steel barrel
HMR Pro- regular stock, 24" 416 stainless barrel and improved trigger.
My understanding is that the 416 steel makes for crisper rifling and can inherently be more accurate while the 4140 is better at mitigating heat and has longer barrel life... I'm sure there's some knowledgeable peeps here. What are your thoughts and do you think there would be a noticeable difference between the two. They are both about the same price point and I will be reloading. It's for long range to very long range Target shooting and I'm becoming very interested in trying PRS style competitions.
Thanks

Reactions: MarkBlue
Don't have a HMR, but just picked up an Approach in .308 as a lighter weight, but precision capable hunting rifle. Concur that the premier action and Trigger Tech trigger are worthwhile. Factory 8-40 screws mounting screws, all stainless action, excellent fit and finish.

Don't have a HMR, but just picked up an Approach in .308 as a lighter weight, but precision capable hunting rifle. Concur that the premier action and Trigger Tech trigger are worthwhile. Factory 8-40 screws mounting screws, all stainless action, excellent fit and finish.
How do you like the Approach?

I have the LRP in 308 and a Ridge in 6.5 creedmoor. As others have said, the premier action is so much better.

I think for the barrel, the better trigger, and better action, the premier is worth it if you can swing the price difference.

Reactions: MarkBlue
How do you like the Approach?

Noting that I am by no means a high end long distance guy I am very fond of it so far. The rifle shot a .265 factory 3 shot "proof" group with 168 FGMM. I only have quick zeroing rounds and 4 groups testing 175 vs 168 FGMM through it (3 Round). Best was a .519 worst was a .875. No rear bag as I forgot it. I actually think with a 1:10 twist it will shoot the 175's better, particularly given that it touched 2 of three in the two 175 groups then threw one a bit. Probably a clear indication of my skill level not being up to par with the rifle.

Other points worth noting:

Terrain Stock is definitely good to go for my use. It is notched to allow long OAL rounds from magazine. Very smooth bolt, though a little drag on Magpul AICS mags until I sanded them a little with fine grit. Added front Seekins rail for Atlas. PST2 3-15 mounted in Seekins, Larue Base, Heathen Brake weighing in at around 10.5 lbs so a heavy but hike-able rifle.
IMG_0260.jpg
IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg

Reactions: MarkBlue and S_R