• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best 10/22 barrel for $200 or under?

Ghillie Zen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
The Black Lodge
In order to save some money and get my family more interested in shooting, I've decided to spend more time and focus on my 10/22s. I have a few of them with various modifications
wink.gif
but I'd like to put together a dedicated rig made strictly for target shooting 100-150 yds.

For the time being, I have a hogue OM stock w/ a harris and a descent scope I can use, but I'd really like to try out a new target barrel.

Currently, outside of a pile of standard tapered barrels, I have a butler creek 20" target barrel that I can use, but was wondering what barrels are out there for around $200 or under that would out perform my current target barrel.

Any advise would be welcome; brand, length, twist, weight, etc....

Re: Best 10/22 barrel for $200 or under?

The Butler Creek I have on a 10/22 does fine. And I have always heard good things about Green Mountain barrels. Shilen makes good ones also but they are usually over the $200.00 mark.

+1 on Green Mountain. I have several and they are match grade accurate. You can get several twist rates and chambers from them also. At long range I'd think about a stinger barrel. It's chambered and has a twist rate set up for the CCI stingers and they have enough speed to beat the wind a little better than standard velocity ammo.

Also, have you thought about a 17HM2. I've shot mine out pass 300 and it groups better than any 22LR I have at farther ranges.

Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Green Mountain. I have several and they are match grade accurate. You can get several twist rates and chambers from them also. At long range I'd think about a stinger barrel. It's chambered and has a twist rate set up for the CCI stingers and they have enough speed to beat the wind a little better than standard velocity ammo.

Also, have you thought about a 17HM2. I've shot mine out pass 300 and it groups better than any 22LR I have at farther ranges.

Donald </div></div>

Don,
I've played around with 17s before, awesome little round, but I'd prefer to stay with 22 lrs that are fairly cheap and easy to find in bulk at the local shops. Is there a twist that works better with common ammo (around 1250 fps) such as remington, federal, etc...?

Phil, thanks for the link, good stuff.......

GZ most of the common barrel makers use 16 or 17 twist for their 22LR barrels. There's some 15 twist also but they tend to work better with the faster ammo. If your going to shoot Bulk 22 ammo I'd go with the Green Mountain barrel at about 18 inches. There's not much lost of speed because of friction and they tend to stabilize the faster 40 grain bullets well. Many other makers also produce top quality also so I don't want to sound like I'm not for them it's just I've used the Green Mountain barrels and like them. I've got a Tactical Solutions in a Sako Quad and it's shooting as well as the Lilja match grade barrel I bought for it. I've never had one in a Ruger so I don't know how they work in that weapon. Donald

I have a tactical solutions and it works great, very accurate. Bought it because they offer a threaded version, saved me the $75 to have my smith thread it.

It is a very accurate barrel.

I'll cast a vote for Whistle Pig barrels in Oregon. Less than $200 shipped and light. Mine has a Midway Corelite stock and with a std SS or CM barrel is WAY-WAY nose heavy. If purely a bench rifle then it's ok but if you plan on dual purpose I would use the aluminum with sleeve. My WP is accurate and no issues. With scope IIRC it's barely over 6lbs. FUN again....

Dave

Have the Tactical Solutions barrel. It is light and accurate. However, the aluminum around the barrel sleeve seems to be eroding.

The Lilja barrel on my Quad is super accurate, I bet their 10/22 barrel is killer too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stringer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had $200 for a 10/22 barrel, there wouldn't even be a moment of hesitation--Kidd.

That said, I like my GM fine. </div></div>
I agree 1000% Kidd Innovations is THE BEST 10/22 barrel made hands down. I have three custom 10/22's one is a Majestic barrel, one is Volquartsen, and then there is the Kidd. It will shoot as good as the other two at twice the distance (seriously). Mine is shooting one hole 10 shot groups @ 75yds this is no joke, and will repeat over and over again. If you want the best Kidd is the best.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a tactical solutions and it works great, very accurate. Bought it because they offer a threaded version, saved me the $75 to have my smith thread it.

It is a very accurate barrel. </div></div>

I have a tactical solutions as well, got mine fluted and thread when I ordered it. These are extremely light weight and very accurate. The finish quality is top notch as well.

I have a GM barrel and it's certainly better than my old stock barrel. For me on my current set up it's good enough. GM offers great value. I also have a Shaw which is a bit more expensive than the GM and about the same accuracy. Not much more expensive - but based on value GM is a bit better. Then there's the Kidd which is currently on sale @ $160. I do not own this one but Kidd has an incredible reputation on the RFC board. So if I started a new build today from scratch, it would be a Kidd barrel for me.

<span style="font-weight: bold">KIDD</span> I have his barrel and trigger, I have to say they are the best I have ever used replaced. I replaced VQ barrel and trigger. Hope this helps.

The Butler Creek barrel will do fine.

I did a project about dozen years back where I built identical 10/22 target rifles for my Marine Corps League Shooting Team.

BC target barrels and black plastic stocks. Volquartsen trigger internals and oversized mag release. Tasco rings and Tasco 3-9X40 Lumina scopes. Four spare Ruger magazines each.

Good guns for serious shooting. There's better available, but these seemed quite cost-effective for our purposes.

Greg

So you guys with Kidd barrels..... They really are the shit? Any comparison to the general GM tubes, or is that a completely dumb question? Can anyone compare it to other high-end tubes (the Skeeter Quantum, Pac-nor/Shilen/Lilja tubes?)

I've debated pulling the trigger on a lightweight, but I really don't have any complaints with my current GM barrel.

I have built guns for other guys with GM barrels they are OK but there is really no comparison. The last one I got said Adams & Bennett on the label on the box. That says something there. I used to shoot a lot of rimfire and KIDD is the best barrel I have ever shot period. The Volquartsen is probably the next best I have shot and both are made from Lothar Walther blanks. With the sale on the KIDD barrels right now for $160 I thinking of getting another myself.

I noticed alot of you guys have mentioned that you like light barrels. I've had a set-up with a light target barrel before, but for me, the heavy barrel just feels better and makes the rifle feel more stable, especially from the standing and seated positions.

One thing I've learned in life is to always be open to opposing opinions, so does anyone have a good argument for why they prefer a light barrel? There are some obvious pros to a lighter barrel, but I'd like to hear what y'all think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have built guns for other guys with GM barrels they are OK but there is really no comparison. The last one I got said Adams & Bennett on the label on the box. That says something there. I used to shoot a lot of rimfire and KIDD is the best barrel I have ever shot period. The Volquartsen is probably the next best I have shot and both are made from Lothar Walther blanks. With the sale on the KIDD barrels right now for $160 I thinking of getting another myself.</div></div>

'ppreciate the info. Kidd's stuff is no joke, and I didn't figure it would "suck". Was just wondering if there was a quantifiable difference over some of the other high-end offerings. At that price point, it's perhaps a no-brainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing I've learned in life is to always be open to opposing opinions, so does anyone have a good argument for why they prefer a light barrel? There are some obvious pros to a lighter barrel, but I'd like to hear what y'all think.</div></div>

Well.. I suppose it would kinda come down to what you want to do with your 10/22. Mine is set up for straight utility. It rides in my truck, gets beat to shit, travels with me when I'm out on my farm, and is usually the first thing grabbed when I encounter something worth shooting. For that role, handy/dandy is what it's all about. I did the long/heavy "ultimate" thing and it was fun for a while, but was too much of a pain to drag along and thus always got left behind. Honestly, if I wanted another long/heavy precision rig to be shot off the ground I'd go for a Annie or something and skip a lot of bullshit; and I've already done that.

For illustration, this is more/less my current iteration (my apologies for the terrible pic):

IMG_2107.jpg

I definately put my 10/22s through some abuse. There the type of gun that is fun to beat on, shoot a shitload of ammo through and take on little treks through the woods for small game.

This is the one I want to put the barrel on. I was also thinking about switching to a knoxx stock.

102_3702.jpg

My butler creek 16" loves velociters, so i cant complain but my buddys got a kidd and easily out shoots mine....That said i got a good deal on mine and only shoot squirrels with it.

I have a tactical solutions barrel after shooting 4 competitions pulled it off. Installed a kidd night and day, the kidd is the best shooting 22 that I have. It will out shoot my Annie. Side note it does have the kidd trigger and bolt.

I have a Jim Calrk built rifle that will shoot MOA @100 with Win PP. He also sells the bbl only.
To get a 100yd 10-22 you will need the trigger, bolt, and bbl tuned or relpaced.
Try a Clark bbl, trigger by TTShooter, and bolt by Randy@ CPC.
Bed the action, float the bbl, and try different ammo and you can get it to shoot MOA@100.
OR you can just buy a CZ 452 bolt rifle and have a out of the box 100yd 22.
Coach

I currently have a Tactical Solutions barrel on my 10/22 but I haven't really shot it for accuracy since I got it. I really just bought it for plinking. I had a Shilen barrel on the gun before, and it was extremely accurate with the ammo it liked (Wolf/SK) even with most bulk ammo it turned in some impressive groups. Midway has the barrel I used currently for just a hair under $200.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=122207

I have a tac sol barrel on my hogue stock that I use for hunting and verrrry accurate. I also just ordered the Kidd barrel which they have on sale for 20% off or $160, which is a greeaat buy.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Lothar-Walther barrel.

I don't have any L-W 10/22 barrels, I don't know what they charge, but I'm pretty sure that whatever they will sell you will perform to any standard you ask of them.

More than likely, a fair proportion of the barrels that are named in this topic had their origins with L-W, anyway.

They don't just make barrels, they make them to spec. They make more of them than any other maker, worldwide, period. What you order, you pay for, and you get.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed alot of you guys have mentioned that you like light barrels.... so does anyone have a good argument for why they prefer a light barrel? </div></div>

Yup. My last iteration was a Butler Creek heavy blued barrel in a Hogue stock, factory receiver with a bunch of VQ/Power Custom parts and some tuning by me. Trigger is nice and light, but the rifle was pretty heavy and also muzzle-heavy due to the .920 barrel. Since the rifle's primary use is walk 'n' pop sage rat shooting, I wanted something lighter. I put a Tactical Solutions fluted & threaded barrel on it, and it weighs about half what it did and balances better. The TS barrel is plenty accurate for rats (and grouses) and the threads fit my AAC Pilot perfectly. Suits my needs.

1911fan

I put a Tactical Solutions barrel on a 10/22 last week. It definitely is alot lighter that a regular .920 barrel And is very accurate too. Mine isn't threaded though. I have a Shilen 22 in. varmint contour on the way to put on another 10/22.

I didn't know these were on sale; I just ordered 2 about 2 minutes ago.

I don't even need a barrel right now. I have 3 Clarks and a VQ.

This is a steal!

My dealer, who has been shooting hot rodded 10/22s for over 20 years talked to Tony Kidd a few months ago and asked if one length shot better than the others. Although all are outstanding, the 20" seems a little better than the others.

If you're thinking about a new barrel, DON'T MISS THIS!

Just because a blank is made by L-W (or any other source) does not imply it's the best available. Customers determine and order particular specs, and L-W gives them what they order.

They are (IMHO) the masters of the numerics game. Everything they make is measured to assess conformity with spec. That data is recorded and retained. I know that if I order a barrel that is to a previous spec, it will equal that earlier spec.

That's where their advantage lies. Very, very little of what they do is an unknown quantity.

That's worth money to me. I would rather order direct from L-W than from a middleman; whose specs may or may not be adjusted to meet a price point.

All of this is mildly academic. So many of the factors which make a .22lr barrel shoot well are contained in the ammunition that barrel specs affect accuracy only at somewhat of a remove. Bore finish becomes less crucial than bore lubricant. Barrel whip is nearly nonexistent so taper and stiffness make less difference. Once length reaches 16-18" max velocity is achieved, so additional length may be detrimental to velocity, and shorter or longer length may equally serve to improve accuracy by making transonic velocities less likely.

Much of what is intuitive with centerfire ballistics becomes counterintuitive with subsonic rimfires.

Greg

I have had several ER Shaws and feel the shoot very well and were priced great I dont think I have ever paid more than 135 for one

I put a 18" threaded for suppresor ER Shaw on my 10/22 and have had great results with it. The price is certainly within your range, I paid $115 for it. The finish on the barrel is very nice and after 3-400 rounds without cleaning it was producing clean patches after a 10 minute solvent soak, two passes with the bore brush, and about 12 dry patches it was clean. The fit with the receiver was excellent with no play. I have bought other less expensive barrels such as Butler Creek and had some pretty good shooting 10/22's and bought higher end custom jobs that did not perform as well as the Butler Creek. Good luck on your quest and let us know what you end up with and how it shoots.

I just got my Kidd yesterday, and I'm really impressed with it. Even poor, rapid, shooting on my part results in sub-MOA groups at 50 yards. I'll be trying it out on longer distance ranges soon. They're currently on sale for $160.

Did you get the 20 inch bull?

Has anyone used a Yankee Hill Machine Co. threaded barrel? If so how do they compare to Tactical Solutions?

Thanks

I have used the Green Mountain barrels and have had good results with them!!