• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best .308 Win Dies.

Re: Best .308 Win Dies.

Why are the Forster and Redding dies considered well above RCBS?

While I perfer the design of the Forster bullet seating die over the RCBS, my RCBS dies have a much better finish and are less prone to rusting than my Forster and Redding dies. I recently purchased a Forster bump die and the interior had some surface rust and the die threads are so poor that appears it could have be cut with a chisel. The surface of the threads are covered in chatter marks and the peaks of the threads are chipped. The threads are much, much worse than any Lee die I've ever seen. I don't think it is unique to this die, as I returned the first die for these reasons and the replacement was just as bad.

I wish I could return the die to Forster for exchange.

"Were these gages not good enough?"

The gages you picture are quite good enough. And your good results with the Lee Collet Neck die match my own. It's amazing how quickly a good runout gage properly used can change fixed ideas of who makes the "best" dies!

The Redding seaters are very good. They should be, they're direct copies of Foster's and work exactly the same. I prefer the originals for the lower price with no loss of quality.

All of the micrometer seater heads are a user convinience only, they add nothing to the quality of the ammo they will load.

On average, Foster's (so far) uncopied height adjustable expander button leaves sized/expanded necks almost as straight as the Lee collet.

But my favorite sizer combo is a body die used with the Lee neck die. Add a Forster seater and it doesn't get any better with threaded dies. And a Lee FCD if I want to crimp bullets.

So called "competiton shellholders" are a useless gimmic in my opinion. If I want to change how much I bump a shoulder I adjust the die according to a case length gage, not change the shell holder!

Redding is #1 in my book for fit and finish.
The Forster look like somebody made them in a dimly lit basement.
Another note on the Forster's die, I have rebuilt engines from the block up and was cleaner then after trying to clean a forster
die right out of the box.

"Why are the Forster and Redding dies considered well above RCBS?"

Design.

I often chuckle when I read someone saying "X brand of dies (presses, etc.) are made to tighter tolerances." I have to wonder if they know what that really means in application. SAAMI tolerances are a <span style="text-decoration: underline">range</span>, NOT a specific point. Meaning, inside die dimensions start at a specific maximum diameter and length and are allowed to be smaller in both ways by a certain amount of change. Anything between the max and minumum dimension is fully "in tolerance". How well any die matches our camber is important but it's luck, not brand, if any specific set actually matches what we need.

So, I wonder - in which direction would a "tighter tolerance die" go? What would most folks want, more towards the maximum size or the minimum size? And which measurement do they think would be most critical, lengths or diameters? Or do they really have any idea at all?

Statisticaly, no one of anything means anything, we need a lot of samples to establish any legitimate base line. I've measured several dozen die sets from all makers (except Dillon, just don't have any, don't know anyone who does). Only ONE sizer die was "out of tolerance", for being too small, and that company didn't last long, it died some 35 or more years ago. All current die makers use chamber reamers from common makers and they all achieve SAAMI tolerances, no more and no less.

Paying more for shiny exteriors or purty knurling is fine if that turns someone on. It doesn't me, I only care, a lot, about the internal dimensions because that's where my ammo is made. For the insides, I simply cannot find any (average) superiority for any brand. Okay, EXCEPT for Forsters and Reddings and that's because of their excellant designs, not tolerances. All the rest work the same because the working parts are basically designed the same.

Individual die exceptions, good and bad, can happen but they ARE exceptions, not the average. A well matched rifle and conventional die set will work together as well aa the most costly die sets, and my concentricity gage proves it, but that's NOT the typical, average result.

Well, two nearly irrelivant design exceptions to sameness are the current seating dies with short sliding bullet sleeves, Hornady's ND and RCBS' "comp/gold metal" dies. But, that doesn't much matter because they load no better than conventonal dies, not on average. Few today know those short sleeve seater designs are NOT new. Both the Hornady short sleeve and the RCBS sleeve with a window are only copies of dies made in the 60s. Neat then, neat now, but they offered nothing useful to accuracy then and they still don't - the sleeves are too sloppy!

SO - if we don't buy Forster BR pr Redding Comp dies it really doesn't matter what we get. But that's not bad, all our makers produce quality dies(on average, of course).

And all any press does is push cases into and pull them out of a die; they ALL do that quite well. Some presses have more mechanical leverage, allow faster die changes, work faster(progressives & auto indexing turrets), have better lever ergonomics, handle spent primers better, etc. But the ammo that can be made on any of them depends on <span style="font-style: italic">the skill of the user</span>, the components chosen and the design of the dies.

No accuracy magic lies in the brand of any of our tools. IMHO.

I am new to rifle reloading and have never used a single stage setup, although I have been reloading pistol ammo on my Dillon 550b for a year now. After having taken an interest in rifle shooting I am looking for the best setup which will allow me to produce the most accurate ammo I can. I am looking at buying the Forster co-ax press based on the wealth of positive reviews and need recommendations for which die set will be the best for loading long range (600-1000 yard) ammo. 

- Would the Redding competition bushing 3 die neck sizing set for 308 get me started, or are other dies a better choice, also which bushing would I need to buy to use with this setup?

-  If I decide to load hunting ammo on this press, which dies would I be required to use.

I appreciate any info which can help me get started in the long range shooting sports
smile.gif

I didn't read all the replies but having recently switched to a redding type S FL bushing die I must say I'm impressed.

This die does EVERYTHING

It's a FL size die

It can be a neck die

It can be a bump die

AND it takes bushings to prevent overworking my nice lapua cases.

The Lee collet is also quite good, but it does tend to be a bit fiddly to setup on a press with compound leverage and at some point you'll need another die to push the shoulder back to some degree.

Actually, for the most part, if a die isn't faulty, it's suitable. Some special instances require unconventional neck and/or base dimension considerations; otherwise, it's more of a generic/SAAMI thing for me.

I think that identifying dies that aren't up to snuff is rather more to the point.

So; I ask what dies are unsuitable, and why.

Greg

Lee. Yes , they're inexpensive, but I still get great results. My 308 Win shoots .5 or better and thats a factory Rem 700. How can anyone gripe about that! And the Lee collet NS dies are way underrated. When you've got them dialed in....they're sweet.