• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best Anti-Cant Device

Yachtee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
New Orleans, LA, USA
I am looking for an anti cant device for an illuminated IOR Valdada 40mm tube. I recently saw one on a SH members stick that was mounted to the side of the scope and also had an angle indicator as opposed to the level being mounted to the side of the scope. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Best Anti-Cant Device

I have one from us optics that mounts on the rail and folds in. Little expensive but does the job. I can see it with my left eye as my right eye looks through the scope. I have one that mounts on top of the scope that was cheaper but I dont like it as much as the other.

+1 for Deros Level Grouse

I like to mount directly to the scope because I think it is better to square it directly to the scope as opposed to squaring the scope to the rail, then squaring the rail to the mount, then attaching the device. Too many places for error to add up. But I am anal.

With the Deros Level Grouse, I never have to focus on the indicator. It comes on when I am canted and I can see it through both eyes.

Does anyone know a good thread that talks about how to compensate for angle? I have always shot on flat level ground at targets at the same elevation. I might go with the ALSI if their are no objections but if i can get the money I am definitely getting the Deros.

The easiest way I know to figure the angles is with a MilDot Master, because everthing else involves math, my next rifle will have a Tubb level just aft of the muzzle brake, I never trusted my USO level, and the MountsPlus was even worse, cheap and easy is a B-Square which is what I'm using right now.

BTW, the ASLI prolly won't fit your 40mm tube w/o modification. But they do make a mount like this...

images.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where to buy the Deros Level Grouse. My google searches are coming up with nothing.
</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1339532

Only buy from Cheese when they are in stock, the manufacturer is known for not delivering on time, so Cheese is your man.

Please do tell why you think their scopes are over-priced. Keep in mind they are made in the good ole US of A! The only feature I find overpriced on USO scopes is the 34mm tube.

I am using US OPTICS anti cant device that swivels for transportation and it's the best I know and it's also conveniant for transportation.
But it conects to the picatinny rail and not the scope tube

I never got to post a review of the Deros Level Grouse I wrote a while back. Here goes:

Pro's
- Easy to use. If you shoot with both eyes open, you can very easily monitor your cant while focusing on the target.
- Very easily learned. After a couple of sessions, I instinctively knew what to do to right the rifle without thinking about right or left.
- Very accurate. You can order versions that vary from .2 degrees of cant to .5 degrees of cant. Supposedly this is more accurate than the bubble levels available, but I couldn't figure out a way to test.

Issues
- Because it is electronic, there is always the potential for failure. There is a space for a spare set of batteries, so they thought about that.
- Battery casing design. I managed to overtorque the battery compartment which bent the batteries, which caused the device to stop functioning. By swapping battery positions, I was able to get it to work again, but it took some jiggering. It seems like it would be easy enough to stop the compartment from torqueing down by stopping the threads at the right distance. This might have also been my fault as I did not store the spare batteries in the compartment like I was supposed to.
- Toggle Switch appears flimsy. It is a tiny metal toggle. I would think a plastic toggle would be better.
- There is no demarcation for the type of level grouse it is. It comes in 2X2 (for .2 degrees on either side), 3X3, 4X4, and 5X5. I have a 2X2 for target shooting and a 3X3 for field shooting / hunting. I just need to remember which is which and I don't like doing things by memory.
- I leave it on all the time. I have a similar problem with illuminated reticles, but it is even more difficult to tell when the switch is in the right position.
- Because the lights turn off when there is no cant, when the device is not working properly, you might think that you are level when you are not. This has happened to me on a number of occasion.
- Because the device lights up, it might give away your position. This is a complaint that I have seen a lot, so I included it, but I don't think it makes sense. First of all, there is a "stealth" mode that makes the light very dim. Secondly, if it is dark enough that the light from the device could give away your position, you won't be able to see a bubble level anyway. Solution: turn the device off.

I know that based on the long list of con's, it sounds like I am not a fan. But that is because it is a unique device that could be improved. I think it is an improvement on the bubble level mainly because you can maintain focus on the target while keeping an eye on your cant. For me, that is worth all of the potential issues. Further, since you can still operate with a failed anti-cant device, field failure just isn't that big of a deal, so those risks are all minor. That is my thinking, yours may different and that is fine.

I recommend this device.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please do tell why you think their scopes are over-priced. Keep in mind they are made in the good ole US of A! The only feature I find overpriced on USO scopes is the 34mm tube. </div></div>

Value....what you get and what you have to pay for it. For a bit less change, I think you are getting an similar scope with Nightforce. Well, I think you are getting a better scope. The very things that many people like about USO, the ability to customize, is what makes me prefer Nightforce. Customization makes it difficult to maintain QC and raises prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where to buy the Deros Level Grouse. My google searches are coming up with nothing.
</div></div>

I do have several of the Tactical 3x3 units in stock.
http://www.phoenixtactical.com/index.php...lvfftlc2q60eu70
I tried a unit out about a year ago after reading Jacob Gottfredson's article in Precision Shooting Magazine Link: http://www.alamofourstar.com/download/Precision%20Shooting%20Mag.pdf
I thought I had a good handle on using a bubble level. I "knew" my rifle was level, then I double checked what I "knew" was right with the DLG and found out that I was wrong on several occasions.
I have been using one ever since.
You can send a PM or call us at 901-289-1110 if interested in one.

PS...I mount mine with a cheap scope ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> my next rifle will have a Tubb level just aft of the muzzle brake, </div></div>

I got the USO and there is not enough room to mount it forward of the rear ring so I mounted it just aft of the front ring, that little extra distance makes is much easy to see and use than the B Square next to the rear ring.

I understand now how ever further out is much better.

For field use I can't think of a more simple, rugged and practical design than Surgeon Rifles new scope rings w/ bubble level. My only concern would be the possibility that you would have to raise your head to view the level - so far, I have heard that is not the case - but I have not used them personally. Will be putting them on my Surgeon build in about two months.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/new-precision-rings-with-level-from-surgeon-rifles/

I've used the USO anti-cant. The fold away moves too much so i went to the rigid and I've had much more success. I mount the unit just in fornt of the one piece scope mount so it can be seen just by shifting your sight slightly to the right and looking around the scope.

I built two of these back in 2007 and still use one on my 308.
It's still my favorite level.
CIMG0204.JPG

It's a modified Burris XTR ring-top on my normal XTR ring with a steel sleeve and a level inserted. Black RTV and a snug fit hold the level in place. Cut out the RTV and you can replace the vial.
The steel sleeve is slid onto the pic rail from either end and the vial is inserted to hold it in place. I have beat this thing up pretty good since then and it still works fine.

I bought a Horus Vision ASLI, for the money I think they are very nice.

I decided to conjure up a rail mount for it rather than mount it on the scope tube, as it limited my 10-12 O'clock view from my off eye when its mounted that high.

You can pick up one of Badgers Gen 2 mounts and thread the hole that holds their cosine indicator to anything you want. Now this mount will hold tension on your Horus Vision unit and you have a nice low-profile mount, for about the same price as a nice bubble level and seperate cosine indicator, plus, its a bit more high-speed because not everyone is sporting one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built two of these back in 2007 and still use one on my 308.
It's still my favorite level.
CIMG0204.JPG

It's a modified Burris XTR ring-top on my normal XTR ring with a steel sleeve and a level inserted. Black RTV and a snug fit hold the level in place. Cut out the RTV and you can replace the vial.
The steel sleeve is slid onto the pic rail from either end and the vial is inserted to hold it in place. I have beat this thing up pretty good since then and it still works fine. </div></div>

Very nice design. Creative too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please do tell why you think their scopes are over-priced. Keep in mind they are made in the good ole US of A! The only feature I find overpriced on USO scopes is the 34mm tube. </div></div>

Value....what you get and what you have to pay for it. For a bit less change, I think you are getting an similar scope with Nightforce. Well, I think you are getting a better scope. The very things that many people like about USO, the ability to customize, is what makes me prefer Nightforce. Customization makes it difficult to maintain QC and raises prices.</div></div>

+1 Nightforce rules! You really do get the most scope for your money with NF. I do have the USO anti-cant device though. IMO it is the nicest design out there and easier to see than the bubbles on top of the scope

Thought i would jump in on this topic.

thoughts on

Horus Vision ASLI vs Defensive Edge Anti Cant and Angle Cosine Indicators

Horus is a great price $70 bucks.. vs the 195 for the Defensive Edge

but worried the Horus will not hold up and looks really big.

thanks for your input

I had a Horus and didn't like the size nor the fact that the level is a little bitty thing. If you have less then perfect near-vision I would skip the Horus. Of course it does appear to be more fragile and more easily bumped out of adjustment(level).

I have never used the DE but you can see my ACI in the pic above.
It is tough and works well.

No problem.
As you can see it obscures the entire left side of the scope. The illumination knob is under the cap just forward of the two devices.

I think the ACI is easier to read, obscures less of the scope, is less of a "hey look at that big fucking thing on the side of that guy's rifle" accessory, and appears to be more rugged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No problem.
As you can see it obscures the entire left side of the scope. The illumination knob is under the cap just forward of the two devices.

I think the ACI is easier to read, obscures less of the scope, is less of a "hey look at that big fucking thing on the side of that guy's rifle" accessory, and appears to be more rugged. </div></div>

Just use a Badger Co-Sine angle indicator mount (gen 2) to mount the ASLI and it should move it low enough where you can still read the side parallax on your scope...best of both worlds...it says in the asli pdf that the badger base mount will work...

Sure, that works.

Still I would skip the ASLI.
I prefer most other levels, the ACI is easier to read, the ACI appears to be more rugged, and it does not stand out like the ASLI.
For me, the ASLI is a compromise in every way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best Anti-Cant Device</div></div>

Mk1 Mod0 Gelatinous Orb. They come in Blue, Green, Brown, Hazel and sometimes custom colors. They work great unless you run a stick through them.

</div></div>

i guess nobody got this

The Horus one is about the same quality as their scopes. Not that great.

Still I use one because it's all in one package, and if I smash it it's not gonna break the bank. It's functional, just huge and shiny.

that flatline ops looks like the best design yet if it has some sort of locking mechanism for when it's extended, I'd be afraid it would get dirt or something in it and not cam open all the way, or get loose and cam open too far.

Barring those setbacks, It looks great. do they make it in 35mm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered one of these from Don. It should be arriving soon. I'll get some pictures if you guys want?

Longrange Supply </div></div>

Tag for later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yachtee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for an anti cant device for an illuminated IOR Valdada 40mm tube. I recently saw one on a SH members stick that was mounted to the side of the scope and also had an angle indicator as opposed to the level being mounted to the side of the scope. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks</div></div>

Best anti cant device? How about a butt plate adjustable for cant.