• See The Results, Run The Bolt Tee

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Gunsmithing BEST BRAKE for a 50 BEOWULF - WHO HAS EXPERIENCE?

ultraman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2003
AUSTIN, TEXAS
I run a brake on most everything- Ive had the best results with JP, Vias, Patriot. I find little in the way of success stories/info etc for the AA 50 Beowulf....Have no interest in the factory slip-on/glue-on. Info seems to be all over the road over at the BEO forum on this topic. I would sure appreciate hearing from those who have had one installed (threaded, turn-key)and have been happy with their choice. These things kick like a bitch IMO and I would like to do this once and make the right choice. THANK YOU

August M. Crocker
Fine Gun Manager

Sportsman's Finest
Austin, TX
[email protected]
www.sportsmansfinest.com
Toll Free 877-51-SPORT

Re: BEST BRAKE for a 50 BEOWULF - WHO HAS EXPERIENCE?

Contact Jim Brockman in Gooding Idaho or check him out on the web.

www.brockmansrifles.com

He has a lot of experience building rifles on the 50 Beowulf, I know because I shot a few that he's built on a CZ action for himself + clients, plus he has his own Muzzlebreak design.

Shoot him an email, I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction.

beo bab4.JPG

I had to thread my barrel since it was not already threaded. There is a locking nut to help time the break and keep it in place without worrying about torqueing the barrel. there is not alot of shorter to use to tighten a break against. The problem with coming up with a good recoil reducing break for the beowulf is the diameter of the barrel. by the time the projectile leaves, there is not a lot of pressure (as compared to 5.56, 308, etc.etc.etc.). both the factory break and this break are like putting rubber boots on a mule before it kicks you. while it does soften it some, you still know you got kicked by a mules.

I do like this break as I did notice a reduction in muzzle flip while shooting it. and I think it looks a lot better then the A.A. break.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=14&item=41

the above is the only one i've used. for shits and giggles, i removed it to see what my "felt" recoil impressions were... it did what i'd call a fair job. it is hard to put percentages on something no more scientific than feel, but i'd say it negated recoil by a third or so when installed. surface area seems to be a factor with some of the larger chamberings, but i don't think you'll catch me with an AR50 brake on my carbine just yet...

wink.gif

something like the one above you can index might be a good one to try and i too have heard of brockman, but have never used his stuff.

if you don't come up with something you can always call bill alexander. he's a super guy and has given me quite a bit of time throughout the recent years. just tell him what you want to achieve and see what he says.

hope this helps.

-michael

I use Hollan's Quick Discharge brake on my Beo. It works great at eliminating recoil, but its not good to use on a hunting rifle without earplugs. It will ring your ears for sure. Got mine from Brownell's. Here's a link for Holland's Brake and a few pix. You'll have to have your barrel threaded and the brake will have to be opened up.

Good luck with your search.

Lou

Beo004.jpg

pict036.jpg

Re: BEST BRAKE for a 50 BEOWULF - WHO HAS EXPERIEN

I dont have to worry about a brake on my Beo, since I cant find any GD ammo for it!

If anyone has a source or needsd to turn their stash into cash, send me a PM. Any load. cash money.