• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best caliber/rifle for 600-1000 yards.

Re: Best caliber/rifle for 600-1000 yards.

LOL. At this point, the original poster is adding his own advice to the thread based on the 3 years of experience he now has on the matter! hahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL. At this point, the original poster is adding his own advice to the thread based on the 3 years of experience he now has on the matter! hahahaha </div></div>

Thats awesome!

Looks like my next boomer will be a Savage in .338 Laupa. I have found a spot where one can get out to at least 900 yards, maybe a bit further.

no pain no gain
The Rock

I think you need to be a little pragmatic when you ask yourself that question. Like maybe how far do I need to shoot and how much can I afford. Will I need to reload,and do I have the time.

So OP, what did you end up buying?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lcpl Hinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's so impressive about 600 yards. I hit a 19 inch target 9 out of 10 times at 500 yard line. And at 800 meters with a rco I hit it 6 out of 10 times
</div></div>

You might want to give some thought to your statement considering a skilled shooter with a precision rifle would hit a 5 inch target 10 out of 10 times at 500 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeway</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lcpl Hinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's so impressive about 600 yards. I hit a 19 inch target 9 out of 10 times at 500 yard line. And at 800 meters with a rco I hit it 6 out of 10 times
</div></div>

You might want to give some thought to your statement considering a skilled shooter with a precision rifle would hit a 5 inch target 10 out of 10 times at 500 yds. </div></div>

A better question would be why did he bump an almost 8month old thread for that kind of response

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REL1203</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lakeway</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lcpl Hinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's so impressive about 600 yards. I hit a 19 inch target 9 out of 10 times at 500 yard line. And at 800 meters with a rco I hit it 6 out of 10 times
</div></div>

You might want to give some thought to your statement considering a skilled shooter with a precision rifle would hit a 5 inch target 10 out of 10 times at 500 yds. </div></div>

A better question would be why did he bump an almost 8month old thread for that kind of response </div></div>

For the same reason you did.

If you can handle the recoil and cost of ammo a well-built 338 LM is mighty hard to beat. An added bonus: there's no wondering if you hit the steel or not!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread was started THREE YEARS AGO!!!

Let it die. Either the OP found his answer or gave up shooting.</div></div>

Now 5 years old...

270 got all the praise from gun writers for very good reasons. But there are other fine rifles for what you do. You might want to look at the 260 Remington, 7mm-08 or other cartridges where bullet BC can give you a much better performance margin than the 30-06.

Please don't misunderstand me, as I think the 30-06 is one of the finest all round cartridges of all time when the right twist rate is used. A 1-10 twist will allow you to use the very heavy 30 caliber bullets, but recoil gets to be problematic over the long run. That is why many shooters are going to cartridges in the 6.5mm (.264), and 7mm diameter.

There are really good choices in the 6mm class, but they tend to be a little harder on barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nomore606</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread was started THREE YEARS AGO!!!

Let it die. Either the OP found his answer or gave up shooting.</div></div>

Now 5 years old... </div></div>

lol, awesome