• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best off the shelf med kit (IFAK)

NAR is great for pre-made stuff.

My favorite way is to order stuff and build your own to avoid extras that creat weight.
I have kept mine in a bright orange UL bag from Fehu gear in Laramie in the past and have gone to an UL dry bag “just in case” to make sure all things stay dry.

I can tell you what I carry in mine to help.
I alsocarry a basic small first aid kit too. Separate from my IFAK.

My backpack hunt IFAK:

TQx2 - I use CAT brand (no knockoffs)
Quick clot 4 yd z gauze
Hy-fin compact chest seal
4” Kerlix or Bulkee gauze x2
Duct tape 50’ mini roll x2
Trauma shears
Couple other things just for me because I have 20+ yrs experience of use

I also carry a SAM Splint.

Have a way to alert help.
Garmin In Reach is my go to for this.

Know how to use the stuff, it is mostly dead weight without knowledge.

I have done a fair bit if teaching of docs, nurses, paramedics, and lay people and its surprising how many do great with book knowledge/testing and struggle with scenarios with just a little pressure/hysteria applied.

I have a couple different packs for different things I do. My GHB (get home bag) has a certain type of kit I made with things I could use in a “combat” style scenario to help me get home to my wife and kids (where my better stuff is). It has gauze, boring bandaids, chest seal set, TQ, quick clot, Israeli bandage, and a few other essentials. My wildland fire line pack has a different setup geared more toward the dangers of wildland fire. I couldn’t find a kit that had what I wanted without spending an arm and a leg and I found it easier to specialize my kit. Also, I have a small kit on the dead center of the back of a battle belt. A major thing is knowing how to use the stuff you have. It’s all useless garbage if a guy doesn’t know when and how to use the items and some items are for someone to use on you.

I have a couple different packs for different things I do. My GHB (get home bag) has a certain type of kit I made with things I could use in a “combat” style scenario to help me get home to my wife and kids (where my better stuff is). It has gauze, boring bandaids, chest seal set, TQ, quick clot, Israeli bandage, and a few other essentials. My wildland fire line pack has a different setup geared more toward the dangers of wildland fire. I couldn’t find a kit that had what I wanted without spending an arm and a leg and I found it easier to specialize my kit. Also, I have a small kit on the dead center of the back of a battle belt. A major thing is knowing how to use the stuff you have. It’s all useless garbage if a guy doesn’t know when and how to use the items and some items are for someone to use on you.
For archery elk hunts or other stuff like that I do, I just grab the one out of my wildland pack. It’s more set up for cuts, burns, sprains, strains, etc

I have done a fair bit if teaching of docs, nurses, paramedics, and lay people and its surprising how many do great with book knowledge/testing and struggle with scenarios with just a little pressure/hysteria applied.
Just the lack of real world experience can be overwhelming for someone’s first time. I still remember going on my first call out. I said a little prayer on the way there: please god don’t let me screw this up.

Reactions: powdahound76
Just the lack of real world experience can be overwhelming for someone’s first time. I still remember going on my first call out. I said a little prayer on the way there: please god don’t let me screw this up.
I remember attempting to stop the bleeding on a motorcycle rider that had his leg amputated by a car bumper. Zero training then. Tried using my belt without even knowing where to place it…. like I saw in some movie. It slightly slowed the spurting - long enough for the Fire Department to show up. It was an ugly scene.

I’ve had a couple of “stop the bleed” courses since them, but it would still be an ugly scene. I still want more training.

I remember attempting to stop the bleeding on a motorcycle rider that had his leg amputated by a car bumper. Zero training then. Tried using my belt without even knowing where to place it…. like I saw in some movie. It slightly slowed the spurting - long enough for the Fire Department to show up. It was an ugly scene.

I’ve had a couple of “stop the bleed” courses since them, but it would still be an ugly scene. I still want more training.

Stop the Bleed is a great class.
There is more if you want/feel the need, and literally with that knowledge and some stuff, anyone can do great stuff.
The steps for stopping life threatening bleeding outside of an ER or trauma center are the same if a trained bystander, EMT, paramedic, nurse or doc.

Where you live?

PM me if you want.

I do plenty of teaching with lay people groups too.
Happy to help if possible.