• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best out the box production/factory bolt rifle around nowadays

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
Thinking of getting a SA most likely 6.5 CM rifle. I don’t want to go the custom route this time around. Just want something to take out the box and go. Anything goes budget not an issue but let’s say below 6k. Would not like to spend that much unless it makes sense.

I know the AT-X and XC are out there, Cadex R7, Sako (maybe) and so on but not opposed to other budget friendlier options either like the Havak for example. Just looking for options and opinions.

my havak is just a hammer. and when they had a bolt upgrade to roll out, i sent my rifle in...and received a completely new receiver/bolt in return, since they'd upgraded to trigger techs since i bought it originally, they threw that in as well. hard to belive the CS from Glenn and team. id go there.
Do they still offer them in the bravos?

Why not an MPA Matrix Pro PMR

AT-X is king in my opinion.

If you are willing to consider spending literally not more than 1 hr assembling, the Bighorn Origin route is stupid easy and VERY, VERY good.
The only thing keep me away from a custom build is availability. I just got off a 21 week wait for a terminus.

Why not an MPA Matrix Pro PMR
I appreciate this but the MPA chassis are ugly AF and remind me of a super soaker. I am not questioning their quality.

Reactions: gac700 and Cody S
The only thing keep me away from a custom build is availability. I just got off a 21 week wait for a terminus.

Some stuff you can probably get pretty quick.

Altus has Origins, TL3's, Impacts and some Defiance's in stock. A barrel from TS Customs will arrive in 2-4 weeks.

Mile High has TL3's and Impacts in stock.

OTM has Kelblys in stock, and have Impact prefits on the shelf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Islas82

If you shop around just a little you can easily have the barreled action in hand in less than 2 weeks including shipping.

You can get an action from Bugholes.com within the week. I know because I just did.

What sort of components do you think would have an extended wait?
Some stuff you can probably get pretty quick.

Altus has Origins, TL3's, Impacts and some Defiance's in stock. A barrel from TS Customs will arrive in 2-4 weeks.
I was just about to mention the Altus action availability and TS Customs (or PVA if that's your preference) route.

What sort of components do you think would have an extended wait?

I was just about to mention the Altus action availability and TS Customs (or PVA if that's your preference) route.
Stocks. I prefer manners or foundations and if I were to go custom that’s what I would prefer. Also would need an action wrench and torque wrench which I don’t have since my last 2 customs have been QC set ups.

Stocks. I prefer manners or foundations and if I were to go custom that’s what I would prefer. Also would need an action wrench and torque wrench which I don’t have since my last 2 customs have been QC set ups.
Altus semi-frequently gets Manners stocks in stock that will allow you to skip the wait. Or even ordering from Foundation isn't THAT long of a wait right now. My Centurion that arrived last month was a 5 week wait from the time I ordered (quoted at 5 month possible lead time).

OTM has both Foundation and McM stocks available for the Impact action,

If you have a preferred gunsmith, you can always reach out and see what they have available. I think a lot of gunsmiths keep inventory on hand that they don't sell individual for their own rifle builds, or at least can get them in short order.

I understand that if I dig enough I can go custom and thank you for the advice. But the purpose of this post was to see what is out there as far as factory offerings.
I guess that depends on your ergonomic preference. If you're a Foundation/Manners guy I don't know if you'd like the ergonomics of an AI or Cadex. Do you know if you can deal with a pistol grip and the general ergos of those chassis systems?

I guess that depends on your ergonomic preference. If you're a Foundation/Manners guy I don't know if you'd like the ergonomics of an AI or Cadex. Do you know if you can deal with a pistol grip and the general ergos of those chassis systems?
If I’d go Cadex I would go with their strike nuke. I have no issue with ergonomics of AI I have owned AICS before. What I was saying is that if I were to go custom I would go foundation/manners not necessarily that it’s my top preference.

Two other choices, that aren't really "factory" but rather spec custom builds are:

TacOps - I'm not sure what the current weight or price is on these. But will probably exceed what you've outlined. However, you never know, maybe @MikeRTacOps has one sitting around that he's ready to move.

KMW - Terry builds cool shit too @Terry Cross

Two other choices, that aren't really "factory" but rather spec custom builds are:

TacOps - I'm not sure what the current weight or price is on these. But will probably exceed what you've outlined. However, you never know, maybe @MikeRTacOps has one sitting around that he's ready to move.

KMW - Terry builds cool shit too @Terry Cross
Will check them out, thanks.

Reactions: kthomas
I'd first filter is what do you want to do with the rifle?
narrowing down the use case always helps threads lke this.

"work guns" need support and spare parts for 10 years
or whatever, which the PRS brands don't really deal with,
but AI/Sako/Barret/KMW/Tac ops etc are really more in that business.

on the other hand, none of the .mil/leo stuff is really very good for pure comp use,
at least not without alot of mods, and the mods need sourcing/time to put together,
kind of defeats the "off the shelf" distinction issue vs a lego gun...etc

Tikkas are easily "off the shelf" but ...need mods...IMHO so its the same issue.

kind of a pick your poison thing...

I'd first filter is what do you want to do with the rifle?
narrowing down the use case always helps threads lke this.

"work guns" need support and spare parts for 10 years
or whatever, which the PRS brands don't really deal with,
but AI/Sako/Barret/KMW/Tac ops etc are really more in that business.

on the other hand, none of the .mil/leo stuff is really very good for pure comp use,
at least not without alot of mods, and the mods need sourcing/time to put together,
kind of defeats the "off the shelf" distinction issue vs a lego gun...etc

Tikkas are easily "off the shelf" but ...need mods...IMHO so its the same issue.

kind of a pick your poison thing...
No competition. I just want to go to the range and shoot at target at various distances. Also would like to get into some unknown distance target shooting. I will be reloading for said rifle. My local range has targets from 100-1500 yards.

No competition. I just want to go to the range and shoot at target at various distances. Also would like to get into some unknown distance target shooting. I will be reloading for said rifle. My local range has targets from 100-1500 yards.
Awww, for Some reason thought you were hunting. I'd look st the mpas... They really are a good deal

Best AI.

Best for your money Tikka CTR.
That`s probably true concerning the CTR, but I think I`m REALLY going to like my Super Varmint if today`s initial range session is any indication. Easily shot sub-MOA while zeroing some less expensive 140 grain 6.5 CM factory rounds. Looking forward to stretching its legs at the range. Might ( not sure ) add a suppressor later on and it could probably stand lightening up the trigger a tad. But I don`t know if I want to fool with it based on how it shot today.

Lots of options out there. I'd pick some features that you want. I probably shoot my AI AX308 2x more then anything else I have. My ATX is starting to grow on me, but the AX is my favorite

The TRG is great, any of the GAP ready-to-ship-rifles, Terry Cross had some builds in stock when I looked a while ago as well a a bunch of other smith's would get you there.

I would consider a switch barrel rifle that can swap from a 308 case to a magnum case to cover you out to 1500yds. Without being overkill for 500yds.

I shoot my AXSR when I'm stretching it out.

Or set yourself up with a custom action that can accept prefit barrels and you can change the bolt head on. I have a Mousingfield and archimedes that can both shoot the same barrels and swap from 6.5cm to 300wsm. I plan on adding a 7 saum barrel soon. The downside to most of the custom actions is you need a barrel vise and torque wrench, but relatively easy.

Lots of options out there. I'd pick some features that you want. I probably shoot my AI AX308 2x more then anything else I have. My ATX is starting to grow on me, but the AX is my favorite

The TRG is great, any of the GAP ready-to-ship-rifles, Terry Cross had some builds in stock when I looked a while ago as well a a bunch of other smith's would get you there.

I would consider a switch barrel rifle that can swap from a 308 case to a magnum case to cover you out to 1500yds. Without being overkill for 500yds.

I shoot my AXSR when I'm stretching it out.

Or set yourself up with a custom action that can accept prefit barrels and you can change the bolt head on. I have a Mousingfield and archimedes that can both shoot the same barrels and swap from 6.5cm to 300wsm. I plan on adding a 7 saum barrel soon. The downside to most of the custom actions is you need a barrel vise and torque wrench, but relatively easy.
I have a 7PRC being built on a Terminus QC that will also run 300 PRC in the future. I have distance covered. The AX has definitely crossed my mind but it’s a bit over budget.

There should be some used AX's in the PX in your budget. Barrels are easy and cheap (relatively) to replace and the action should go hundreds of thousands of rounds. So no worries about wearing one out.

IMG_0359.jpeg

Atx if in budget, Havak Pro otherwise. Both are hammers and headache free

That`s probably true concerning the CTR, but I think I`m REALLY going to like my Super Varmint if today`s initial range session is any indication. Easily shot sub-MOA while zeroing some less expensive 140 grain 6.5 CM factory rounds. Looking forward to stretching its legs at the range. Might ( not sure ) add a suppressor later on and it could probably stand lightening up the trigger a tad. But I don`t know if I want to fool with it based on how it shot today.
I have a Tikka CTR 6.5CM in a Bravo Chassis I have put a couple thousand rounds through it I can't say enough good things about it. I just recently bought a Super Varmint myself in 300WM only got about 50 rounds through it, but it looks like it's going to be as great as the CTR. I love the two stage trigger it came with only thing I think that Tikka could do better on the Super Varmint is use the same bottom metal and magazines that come on the CTRs. The factory stock isn't bad, but I am putting mine into an MDT Field stock that will allow me to run AI long action magazines.

I know you said you don't want to go custom and want something out-of-the-box, but... I sort of look at an Origin + Proof Prefit + Manners w/ mini-chassis as an out-of-the-box rifle with some assembly required you just need to put together yourself in 20-30mins lol.

Origins and ~$500 Proof prefits are nearly always available (the Origins can use any Savage small-shank barrel w/ a barrel-nut too if need be) and Manners TCS' w/ mini chassis pop up in the PX or at Altus fairly often, just add a trigger, brake, mount/glass and you're done.

The only tools needed to be your own gunsmith are an ~$20 torque wrench off Amazon, ~$80 action wrench, ~$50 barrel vise, and maybe a ~$50 go-gauge. So ~$200 or less to put it together and swap barrels in your garage/reloading room, no waiting on shit ever again.

I can afford to get whatever at whatever cost and have no reason to go with anything different since nothing out there is any better and I f'ing hate waiting lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas and Islas82
I know you said you don't want to go custom and want something out-of-the-box, but... I sort of look at an Origin + Proof Prefit + Manners w/ mini-chassis as an out-of-the-box rifle with some assembly required you just need to put together yourself in 20-30mins lol.

Origins and ~$500 Proof prefits are nearly always available (the Origins can use any Savage small-shank barrel w/ a barrel-nut too if need be) and Manners TCS' w/ mini chassis pop up in the PX or at Altus fairly often, just add a trigger, brake, mount/glass and you're done.

The only tools needed to be your own gunsmith are an ~$20 torque wrench off Amazon, ~$80 action wrench, ~$50 barrel vise, and maybe a ~$50 go-gauge. So ~$200 or less to put it together and swap barrels in your garage/reloading room, no waiting on shit ever again.

I can afford to get whatever at whatever cost and have no reason to go with anything different since nothing out there is any better and I f'ing hate waiting lol.

That TCS sure looks nice. You make good points, thanks.

Reactions: CK1.0
View attachment 8476759

Atx if in budget, Havak Pro otherwise. Both are hammers and headache free
Will the Seekins bolt bind on the magazine when cycled if the magazine has upwards force pushed against it such as the weight of the rifle resting on the mag. I ask because I watched a video where the magazines could basically over insert into the action. This would cross the Seekins off the list if this is the case.

I agree with other people. Just buy the American rifle CDG reciever or 700 clone of your choice and your favorite 700 stock.
I spent about 4k total on this rifle, can list built specs if you want but I literally just ordered online and bolted together at home. the reciever was slowest at almost 2 months.

Attachments

• 20240812_114145.jpg
    20240812_114145.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 70
I agree with other people. Just buy the American rifle CDG reciever or 700 clone of your choice and your favorite 700 stock.
I spent about 4k total on this rifle, can list built specs if you want but I literally just ordered online and bolted together at home. the reciever was slowest at almost 2 months.
Very nice how do you like the Samson?

That is a sweet rifle. is brass arca rail part of the weight/balance package for the sampson, or is that aftermarket?
it came like this. it had another top piece on the front that I had to take off for this scope to fit but otherwise it came just like this, including some brass weights in the back which I took them all out.
I love this rifle dearly and it's everything I ever wanted in a target gun, but full disclosure she's 30lbs as she sits.