• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best picatinny scope base for a 700 short action?

GT40MkI

Texas
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
West of DFW, Texas
I've examined a few in person...

Seriously - is there ANY real FUNCTIONAL difference in a Badger, Nightforce, Leupold, or EGW base?

Flame suit is on so bring it, I'm just having trouble understanding why some of these can run up into 3 and 4x's the cost. Some are steel, some are aluminum, the picatinny rail portion is all milspec so there shouldn't be much difference there...

Suggestions? Thanks in advance...I fell into the hide about 3 weeks and $5000 ago
frown.gif
...lol.

Re: Best picatinny scope base for a 700 short action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any real functional difference between a Snap-on, Proto, or Craftsman #2 Phillips screwdriver?

</div></div>

My thoughts exactly...it's a cnc'd chunk of aluminum or steel...on the 20MOA bases the $$$ may be cut around closer tolerances...but as far as function goes am I leaving anything on the table by NOT going with Badger?

There may be some minor differences such as length, supported screw sizes (Leupold takes #6 or #8 without mods), etc. Material is really a matter of choice. Machining methods may vary.

Bottom line is they all do the same thing. Don't think you'd go wrong with any of the better brands. In my case, I picked the Leupold as it's not extended so it cleared my USO AO.

I have an EGW base and it does not sit flat on the action, almost like it is twisted or something.
frown.gif

I know it would have been better to go with a nightforce etc, but is there anything i can do to fix the problem?

I'm extremely happy with my Seekins. It's visually pleasing, has a recoil lug, great finish. Best part was, it fit perfectly so I didn't have to bed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338AX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Near makes a great one </div></div>

Near bases definitely are machined to the highest of standards.
Without a doubt the best machining and finishing I have seen on a base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GT40MkI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've examined a few in person...

Seriously - is there ANY real FUNCTIONAL difference in a Badger, Nightforce, Leupold, or EGW base?

Flame suit is on so bring it, I'm just having trouble understanding why some of these can run up into 3 and 4x's the cost. Some are steel, some are aluminum, the picatinny rail portion is all milspec so there shouldn't be much difference there...

Suggestions? Thanks in advance...I fell into the hide about 3 weeks and $5000 ago
frown.gif
...lol. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-weight: bold">NightForce</span></span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5toLife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an EGW base and it does not sit flat on the action, almost like it is twisted or something.
frown.gif

I know it would have been better to go with a nightforce etc, but is there anything i can do to fix the problem? </div></div>

Either the base or your receiver is crooked (maybe both).

Bed the base to the receiver. That will eliminate any stress. Just make sure you put release agent on the receiver or it going to be a PITA to remove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madAB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm extremely happy with my Seekins. It's visually pleasing, has a recoil lug, great finish. </div></div>

+1

Really like the Seekins base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madAB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm extremely happy with my Seekins. It's visually pleasing, has a recoil lug, great finish. </div></div>

+1

Really like the Seekins base. </div></div>
I've got one in the mail ATM, I hopefully I'll find the same experience. Anyone ever notice how time seems to pass slwoer when waiting on the mail to bring something?

On my last two 700's I used a larue 20 MOA base with no issues. Only gripe about it is I wish it was about an inch shorter. (and just cause it's too easy...that's what she said.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the Weaver Extended Multi-Slot Tactical Picatinny-Style Base? its going for 30 buck at Midway, any good?</div></div>

I ordered one of these from SWFA for my 700 sps varmint. It fit great. Yes, I did have to bed it. The recoil lug fit perfectly where it was supposed to and everything lined up. On top of it sits Burris XTR low rings and a SS10x42. I don't believe you could go wrong with getting one. If you have doubts, check out LoneWolfUSMC's thread. I was going to go with EGW, but changed to this one after reading and watching his threads. And best of all, it's "MADE IN THE USA".

I appreciate all the insight and comments - noone even lit me on fire
smile.gif

If I'm going after a 200yd zero with subsonic 190-220gr .308 loads do I need 20MOA built in, or is that wishful thinking...?

Another "noobie" question:
1.) If I "borrow" my Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50 in it's Larue 1.5SPR Mount/Rings can I leave it in the SPR and be ok?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GT40MkI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I "borrow" my Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50 in it's Larue 1.5SPR Mount/Rings can I leave it in the SPR and be ok? </div></div>

Only if you have a really long neck.

Can I add to this quest? I've now seen/heard two people who have said that they had to bed the Weaver $30 mount. Is the difference between mounts weather or not they need bedding or do all mounts need this? Say a Badger, or a Seekins, do they need bedded?

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GT40MkI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I "borrow" my Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x50 in it's Larue 1.5SPR Mount/Rings can I leave it in the SPR and be ok? </div></div>

Only if you have a really long neck.

</div></div>
Its going on an AICS, and probably a 0MOA/Flat base..

Call Near tell him what you have and what you want to do with it. He will tell you what you need. He is a perfectioness. He is a ballistic guru. He will build length you need. It is not cheap I have 3 perfection is the only word for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FL_Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madAB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm extremely happy with my Seekins. It's visually pleasing, has a recoil lug, great finish. </div></div>

+1

Really like the Seekins base. </div></div>
I've got one in the mail ATM, I hopefully I'll find the same experience. Anyone ever notice how time seems to pass slwoer when waiting on the mail to bring something?
</div></div>

Ok so my Seekins base came in from Scott at liberty optics yesterday. The fit was absolutely perfect. No play at all. I can't believe the fit is this good without a custom fitting. I was wondering if I had made the right choice and had been debating it in my head all week, but there's no question it was the right move. It's a hell of a piece of work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer 2c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I add to this quest? I've now seen/heard two people who have said that they had to bed the Weaver $30 mount. Is the difference between mounts weather or not they need bedding or do all mounts need this? Say a Badger, or a Seekins, do they need bedded?

J </div></div>
My seekins was a perfect fit with no bedding required.

Now the question is was this because I got lucky? I'm not sure. It's easy for seekins to make every base exactly the same. The question is really how tight are the tolerances on the actions. If I had to guess, I'd guess seekins and others are more careful about using materials that aren't going to move when they machine them.

for a basic rem 700 or savage I try to keep the base/rings in line cost and performance wise with the rifle so an EGW base for 35 set in black RTV ( can be removed) and warne rings 28-41 a set, I will use 3 or even 4 rings if they will fit. So with the base bedded to the action and the extra rings no one will convince me that a scope could be more secure for about the price of just a high end base, save the money for better glass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for a basic rem 700 or savage I try to keep the base/rings in line cost and performance wise with the rifle so an EGW base for 35 set in black RTV ( can be removed) and warne rings 28-41 a set, I will use 3 or even 4 rings if they will fit. So with the base bedded to the action and the extra rings no one will convince me that a scope could be more secure for about the price of just a high end base, save the money for better glass </div></div>

I wouldn't think RTV is something you'd want to use for bedding...

I have it on very good authority that Badger Ordnance has packaged a few sets of rings with golden tickets that entitle the holder to a tour of the factory in north Kansas city.

To my knowledge no other ring manufacturer offers this program.

Gap has sent thousands of sets out and none were returned except for height exchange. Great product, extremely consistent, golden tickets, nuff said.

I have used Seekins, Leupold, EGW and Weaver.

Seekins pieces are works of art. They do their job wonderfully. You can definitely tell a difference between a Seekins base and a EGW or Weaver base. The machining is perfect on the Seekins part.

If I have a project I have to stay in a certain budget on (like our Budget Precision Project) then I will use lower end stuff. If it's my personal rig, then I will put the best I can get on it. It's one less thing I have to worry about. When you think about what you are using these to attach to the rifle, the cost difference between a Seekins and EGW is nothing.

I like what someone on the hide posted : buy once cry once!
When it comes down to it confidence is the one thing great shooters need to have.
With that said the one place that confidence is a must is in the equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KLin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have it on very good authority that Badger Ordnance has packaged a few sets of rings with golden tickets that entitle the holder to a tour of the factory in north Kansas city.

To my knowledge no other ring manufacturer offers this program.

Gap has sent thousands of sets out and none were returned except for height exchange. Great product, extremely consistent, golden tickets, nuff said. </div></div>

WOW , Golden Tickets your kidding right? I must have one, whatever it takes i will have the Golden Ticket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcimma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been very happy with my Ken Farrell base... </div></div>

Me too and because it's ambi it's probably a little lighter than the other steel bases. With my discount from Brownell's I couldn't be happier.

I have two from Badger Ordnance and one of the Weaver Tactical bases.

The Weaver didn't want to lay flat on the receiver, but the Badgers were perfect.

I have a Larue and it leaves a bit to be desired. It doesn't sit flat on the rear of the receiver and with standard size mounting screws, it can slide around unless uber tight.

It comes with larger screws that would likely hold it in place better but unless you have a receiver drilled out and threaded to fit the larger screws, no joy.

I went a different route, and it has been a great choice - I bought a Dednutz mount/ring-set. Having the rings as part of the mount gives one less failure point, and they did not need to be lapped, nor the bottom of the mount bedded.