• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best picatinny scope base for a 700 short action?

Re: Best picatinny scope base for a 700 short action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcimma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been very happy with my Ken Farrell base... </div></div>

Me too and because it's ambi it's probably a little lighter than the other steel bases. With my discount from Brownell's I couldn't be happier. </div></div>

Brownells handle Ken's??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!

Anyone is more than welcome at seekins precision any time! I will even buy lunch if you come visit </div></div>

Thanks for an amazing product.

The Nigthforce rails I have seen are not milspec.
The crosslots are to narrow and clearly out of tolerance.
Personally I Find it pretty annoying that there is actually à number of " picatinny manfacturers" who decided they not needs to follow the tolerances on either the 1913 drawings or the later Nato drawings.

Håkan

Re: Best picatinny scope base for a 700 short acti

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either the base or your receiver is crooked (maybe both).</div></div>

I'd bet the receiver is crooked, assuming it's a remington.

A while back I looked high and low for dimensions for the remington 700 scope mounts, but I couldn't find anything useful. It seems like everyone makes bases for the "chevy" of the gun world, so why is it so hard to find numbers? One guy I called told me that there's no way I'd be able to get "blueprints" for a remington receiver, and I tried to explain that I already bought one that didn't come with sights, and that I only wanted to know the dimensions for the mating parts. Most people I know would call this an interface drawing. I guess the dimensions for the receiver and the whole slew of after market bases are proprietary. I finally gave up and reverse engineered the receiver I had, and after taking careful measurements I made a one piece base that perfectly fit my receiver. Since I had the CNC all set up and programmed, I ran a few more just to have some spares lying around. Well, I later got another remington receiver and when I went to install the base I made earlier it was off by quite a bit. With the front screws snug there was a 0.020" gap between the rear of the base and the back end of the receiver. Another receiver I was working on for a friend was off by 0.012" as compared with the first one.

I'm a little more experienced in this hobby now, and I guess it is common practice to shim, glue, or "bed" scope bases on remington receivers. So I guess the industry that invented interchangeable parts is not really up to date. A couple different people have told me that remington finishes their receivers by hand with a belt sander. I guess the 2-piece bases reduce the problem by letting the scope tube flex, or by honing out the rings to be in line with each other.

So basically I would not be surprised if you have a base that doesn't really match the receiver. I have to wonder how many 1-piece bases get installed by just cranking down the screws whether it lines up or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boltstop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went a different route, and it has been a great choice - I bought a Dednutz mount/ring-set. Having the rings as part of the mount gives one less failure point, and they did not need to be lapped, nor the bottom of the mount bedded. </div></div>

I'd rather go LW than DN,due to their ring surface area which contacts the scope and the increase in ring spacing,as well as the latitudes inherent for glass position.

DAD_0716.jpg

Glen makes very good gear.

I've been struggling with this sort of thing myself. I'm trying to keep from spending money on all the name brand stuff for my SPS just because all the cool kids have it. Not to say the higher dollar parts aren't worth it, but in my case, well, it's not. There isn't any functional issue with my 'cheap' parts. If you're shooting sub-MOA who really cares what the brand of the equipment is?

IMO, use the extra cash testing ammo. Today I played with the chrony and five different boxes of ammo, but you know how I like to tinker. FWIW, I don't feel like I need to change anything with the current setup.

BTW, the mount on my SPS was $18.