• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best prs spotter with stimulus check budget

Z06pilot

Online Training Member
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2017
Usa
I am looking for a prs spotting scope or binos with a budget of about 1500. I like to buy things through expertvoice or similar discount program to get the most for my money if possible. So I have been looking at nightforce, vortex, leica, bushnell, zeiss, and leupold.

I know alot of people recomend Swarovski binos, how would that compare to a mark 4 compact spotter either 12x40 or 20x60 with h32, or a vortex 11-33x50. I sort of like the idea of the mk4 vs binos, am I way off in my thinking? I already have a manfrotto carbon tripod with ball head already, which I will probably upgrade in the future.

I would get a Kowa 553 or 554, find a used one.

The Flourite crystal rivals Swaro for clarity and color. It is also lighter. Check out birder forums for reviews.

I love my little spotter. My buddy with a 65mm Swaro looked through mine and sold it and bought the 88 Kowa.

I have had and looked through stuff in that budget, Razor, Swaro, MK4, Gold Ring, Bushnell, and others. My little Kowa is better.

I am looking for a prs spotting scope or binos with a budget of about 1500. I like to buy things through expertvoice or similar discount program to get the most for my money if possible. So I have been looking at nightforce, vortex, leica, bushnell, zeiss, and leupold.

I know alot of people recomend Swarovski binos, how would that compare to a mark 4 compact spotter either 12x40 or 20x60 with h32, or a vortex 11-33x50. I sort of like the idea of the mk4 vs binos, am I way off in my thinking? I already have a manfrotto carbon tripod with ball head already, which I will probably upgrade in the future.

I recently purchased a pair of Swaro SLC 10x42's from Doug at CameralandNY and have been EXTREMELY pleased with the purchase!

I'm tripod mounting them via the Outdoorsmans stud & adapter on a Bogen/ Manfrotto tripod and 322RC2 head.

Yesterday, we did a side by side comparison of the Swaro's and my buddy's newer Leupold Mk4 12-40x60 inverted H-32 along with his older non-reticuled Mk4 12-40x60 spotter at the range and later looking at the First Quarter Moon as well as Comet Neowise. The Leupold's are very usable, but we both agreed the Swaro glass was better by a good margin.

A future "someday" purchase for me will likely be a Kowa spotter. I used a TSN-833 spotting at match several years ago and it has been my Gold standard ever since. The compact Kowa 553 or 554 has recently piqued my interest as possibly a more practical substitute (size & $$$) than the TSN-833.

Both are slightly above your $1500 budget, but either one is well worth the slight extra expense.

Last edited:

Sign up for the military discount at Bushnell and pick up an LMSS2 if you absolutely have to have a spotter.

That said, I've found binos to be a much better tool for match use. The Forge 15s are my preference.

Binos will allow you to use both eyes while spotting. Looking through a spotter will make one eye fatigued after a while. I recently switched from a mark 4 12-40 with a TMR reticle to Bushnell Forge 15x56 binos. It would be nice to have a reticle in the binos but I don't really miss it. I also think anything over 12 or 15 power for spotting in PRS matches is a waste. You will be zoomed in to much and have a hard time moving from target to target.

I like the Forge's, but they are no Swaro's. Edge clarity is much better with the Swaro, which is nice when you are trying to get multiple targets in the field of view at the same time. The Swaro's were also able to see trace much easier than my Forges.

Reactions: 260284

These are close to Swaro's but easier on the budget. I has a spotter for matches, but use 10x binos now and will eventually get the 15x Meoptas for match use. Way less eye starin at the end of the day with binos.

I spoke to Doug today, and will probably go with the 15x meopta when they are back in stock. My only other thought would be the vortex kaibab 18x which I am attracted to because of the great warranty, not to mention they would be about $500 less. I would hate to have my tripod tip over at a match and be buying a second set of euro glass. But if I am not going to see trace and wind nearly as well with the vortex, I will buy the meopta or Swarovski and take my chances on them breaking accidentally.

Look at the Vortex 15x Recon RT also. A nice small spotter with a reticle in it. I really like having a reticle to see target sizes and watch impacts. The Recon gets overlooked a lot as it's in the monocular section but it's a really good match spotter.

Also who said you can't see trace and wind as well with a Kaibab?

Look at the Vortex 15x Recon RT also. A nice small spotter with a reticle in it. I really like having a reticle to see target sizes and watch impacts. The Recon gets overlooked a lot as it's in the monocular section but it's a really good match spotter.

Also who said you can't see trace and wind as well with a Kaibab?

No one said that. I meant it more as a question, because I have not looked through any of them besides the Swarovski. I am just wondering what I would be missing with the kaibab that the meopta would offer. Again I dont care as much about price as I do the unconditional warranty that I would have if they get knocked over. I could stomach paying 1300 or even 2000, but I wouldnt want to spend that twice.

I will check out that monocular, it sounds cool, and would probably buy it in addition to whatever bino I end up with.

Again I dont care as much about price as I do the unconditional warranty that I would have if they get knocked over. I could stomach paying 1300 or even 2000, but I wouldnt want to spend that twice.

I will check out that monocular, it sounds cool, and would probably buy it in addition to whatever bino I end up with.

I believe Swaro has a pretty good track record when dealing with warranty work. When you speak to Doug again ask him about it. I know my bino's have a 10 year warranty. Swaro's warranty may not be as open ended as Vortex's but it's still pretty good.

Don’t discount the Athlon Chronus 15x56 binos. Well under your budget and I absolutely love mine. Very well reviewed by the birders as well.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Folks are liking these - https://www.bushnell.com/spotting-s...e-tactical---spotting-scope/BU-ET884060H.html

1596228896172.png

Reactions: clcustom1911
I have used the Vortex 15x50 RT Monocular extensively at our local club amd matches. It has always delivered.

And speaking of bullet trace, that is something I get many comments about. People are impressed how clear it is and that they can watch the bullet all to impact.

For the price of the RT, you could get it and a really nice tripod combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob01
I ended up ordering the SLC15 from doug at cameraland. I almost went with the meostar plus which is a great value and probably 99% of the swaro, but I didnt have a chance to try the meopta first, where there were alot of people with swaros that I was able to try. Also, I liked the resale value of the swaros if I ever change to somthing else.

Now I need to upgrade my tripod for 95% spotting 5% shooting. Currently have a manfrotto 055 with rc324 ball/grip head. I am looking at cruxord k05 kit, or rrs tvc33 with ta-2u or ta-3 leveling base. Any suggestions?

I ended up ordering the SLC15 from doug at cameraland. I almost went with the meostar plus which is a great value and probably 99% of the swaro, but I didnt have a chance to try the meopta first, where there were alot of people with swaros that I was able to try. Also, I liked the resale value of the swaros if I ever change to somthing else.

Now I need to upgrade my tripod for 95% spotting 5% shooting. Currently have a manfrotto 055 with rc324 ball/grip head. I am looking at cruxord k05 kit, or rrs tvc33 with ta-2u or ta-3 leveling base. Any suggestions?

Depending on your height, the 33 might not be tall enough for you. The 34L or 24L gives you that extra height. I have a 34L and have been very pleased with it.

Give us a call back and speak with my brother Joel as he is the resident tripod guru

Depending on your height, the 33 might not be tall enough for you. The 34L or 24L gives you that extra height. I have a 34L and have been very pleased with it.
6'0" tall. What is the difference between all of the different rrs leveling bases? Ie the ta-2, ta-3, and ta-4.? Are they for different legs? I see people on here using the ta-2 and ta-3, but not the ta-4.