best range finder

Re: best range finder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as the man said,...VECTRONIX. Beats the rest hands down. Buy once, buy the best. </div></div>

I know that I want one!!!!!

riflestuff006.jpg

I've had mine about four years and use it almost daily. All I've ever done to it is change the battery and clean the lenses. Amazing piece of kit. Best optics I've ever looked through.

Nice! I'm jealous.
sick.gif

Seriously, though, in my mind it's worth it because a Vector IV replaces separate top-quality binos, compass, and top-notch rangefinder.

That, and it accurately ranges those 6000-meter antelope while talking to your Nomad via serial port.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
riflestuff006.jpg

I've had mine about four years and use it almost daily. All I've ever done to it is change the battery and clean the lenses. Amazing piece of kit. Best optics I've ever looked through. </div></div>

PGS, how much are these selling for and where do you find them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
riflestuff006.jpg

I've had mine about four years and use it almost daily. All I've ever done to it is change the battery and clean the lenses. Amazing piece of kit. Best optics I've ever looked through. </div></div>

PGS, how much are these selling for and where do you find them? </div></div>

You can get them directly from Vectronix. The last time I looked, maybe a couple years ago, they were $12,700.

Mike Nolan works for vectronix , and he is a good to go guy . Contact him if you have any questions. Prices are:

Article No. Description
901942 Vector IV S 13,200$
901919 Vector IV SR1 13,500$
903216 Vector IV BT 15,900$

Article No. Description
901761 PLRF 10 3,700$
901762 PLRF 15 5,600$

[email protected]
Mike Nolan
Business Development
Hand Held Technology
Vectronix, Inc.
801 Sycolin Road SE
Suite 206
Leesburg, VA 20175
703-485-0182 (Direct)
571-246-3759 (Cell)
703-777-3900 x7182
703-777-3940 (Fax)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_3317.jpg
</div></div>

That was a lot of fun. A whole lot more fun than being stuck in this desert!!

My Swarovski ($1000) will range just about anything all the time up to 800 yards. It will range my 10" plate some of the time out to 1000 yards. It will range bigger surfaces (cars, buildings) out to 1500 yards. It has ranged a water tank at 1700 yards (perfect conditions). It's good and it works. The optics are superb, like a really good monocular. Most agree, price/performance, it is the one to get.

I have an Busnell Elite 1500 and for its size and cost, its hard to beat. Ive ranged out to 1350 with it but it took a few tries. On a really bright day, you better have a decent target to hit at 800+. Ive played with the new Bushell Fusion 1600 and it hits 1 mile with zero problems. I plan on picking up a pair once I save up some coin. Granted if youre looking for 1 mile + ranges, neither of these are going to be what your looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_3317.jpg
</div></div>
That was a lot of fun. A whole lot more fun than being stuck in this desert!! </div></div>I just love it when someone recognizes himself in a family portrait.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Swarovski ($1000) will range just about anything all the time up to 800 yards. It will range my 10" plate some of the time out to 1000 yards. It will range bigger surfaces (cars, buildings) out to 1500 yards. It has ranged a water tank at 1700 yards (perfect conditions). It's good and it works. The optics are superb, like a really good monocular. Most agree, price/performance, it is the one to get. </div></div>

I fully agree with you! I love mine

Y'all seem like a bunch of Sallys. Point,click,read, Wheres the challenge in that? Real men use Wild-Heerbrugge range finders. In only about 5 minutes I can deploy mine and give you a range plenty accurate enough for 105's. Ummm you know I meant 105mm right?
All in good fun but the optics on the Wild are as good any I've looked through, and ranging in the thousands of meters is interesting as well as challenging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto on the Wild. I wouldn't part with mine. Then again I'm 60 and I don't lug things up mountains anymore, I drive. Drop the tailgate, unload the cooler then the gear and start glassing.</div></div>
+1

IMHO Vectors are hard to beat, but also the maximum effective range for your cartridge in 338LM is approx 1500yds so they may be a bit overkill. Leica is renowned for their optics and their rangefinders definitely pay homage to their reputation. The 1600 model rangefinder will work great for your weapons system.

If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have wasted money on cheap rangefinders for shooting beyond 1000m. Vectors are crazy expensive but there are cheaper mil grade options. A PLRF-10 or 15 is on my list now...

In the $1000 price range, I've been impressed with the glass and ranging capabilities of the swaroskvi. The only thing I do not like is the ranging reticle. The circle is way to big to range smaller objects at long distances. But I can't say much as after research and listening to guys on here I new that was going to be a problem before I bought it. Im still happy with it though. If you have the dough then by all means the vector seems like its in a class of its own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBore007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO Vectors are hard to beat, but also the maximum effective range for your cartridge in 338LM is approx 1500yds so they may be a bit overkill. Leica is renowned for their optics and their rangefinders definitely pay homage to their reputation. The 1600 model rangefinder will work great for your weapons system. </div></div>
There's going to be some mighty disappointed folks here when they read your post and discover their Lap-Mags are only effective to 1500 yards. It seems some here have shot a bit further with acceptable accuracy.

Vector IV no question but if you cannot afford a Vector IV... I have tested most of the major players side by side and the Swaros seemed reach out the farthest.

338LMShooter

what size target are you ranging at 2K with your vector IV? I ask, becasue I want the ability to range a piece of 18x20 Plate steel at and beyone 2,000 yards. I know the PLRF-10 or 15 is supposedly capable of doing that.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBore007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO Vectors are hard to beat, but also the maximum effective range for your cartridge in 338LM is approx 1500yds so they may be a bit overkill. Leica is renowned for their optics and their rangefinders definitely pay homage to their reputation. The 1600 model rangefinder will work great for your weapons system. </div></div>
There's going to be some mighty disappointed folks here when they read your post and discover their Lap-Mags are only effective to 1500 yards. It seems some here have shot a bit further with acceptable accuracy. </div></div>

There may be some disappointed folks who read my post, but most will know both their own capability and the capability of their weapons system, that is why I stated "approximate." The cartridge was originally designed as an anti personnel round that would have enough energy at 1000yds to penetrate multiple layers of body armor. Under the right conditions this particular combination is great out to about a mile or 1600yds and will yield excellent shot duplicity at that range. 2000yards is not out of the question, but honestly I would move myself 500 yards toward the target and guarantee that I was in the supersonic range of this cartridge.

back to the op . . for the under 1k class of lrf , i would suggest a leica , or perhaps the bushy lrf binos . been fairly impressed with both of these . have not been happy with the swaros personaly . though the swaro does seem to consistently range the farthest

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBore007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBore007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO Vectors are hard to beat, but also the maximum effective range for your cartridge in 338LM is approx 1500yds so they may be a bit overkill. Leica is renowned for their optics and their rangefinders definitely pay homage to their reputation. The 1600 model rangefinder will work great for your weapons system. </div></div>
There's going to be some mighty disappointed folks here when they read your post and discover their Lap-Mags are only effective to 1500 yards. It seems some here have shot a bit further with acceptable accuracy. </div></div>

There may be some disappointed folks who read my post, but most will know both their own capability and the capability of their weapons system, that is why I stated "approximate." The cartridge was originally designed as an anti personnel round that would have enough energy at 1000yds to penetrate multiple layers of body armor. Under the right conditions this particular combination is great out to about a mile or 1600yds and will yield excellent shot duplicity at that range. 2000yards is not out of the question, but honestly I would move myself 500 yards toward the target and guarantee that I was in the supersonic range of this cartridge. </div></div>

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=DBBnYPdfGCo

Any other way that you would like to prove yourself wrong? At 1500 in total shit conditions the 338 is a fairly easy shooter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBore007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBore007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO Vectors are hard to beat, but also the maximum effective range for your cartridge in 338LM is approx 1500yds so they may be a bit overkill. Leica is renowned for their optics and their rangefinders definitely pay homage to their reputation. The 1600 model rangefinder will work great for your weapons system. </div></div>

There may be some disappointed folks who read my post, but most will know both their own capability and the capability of their weapons system, that is why I stated "approximate." The cartridge was originally designed as an anti personnel round that would have enough energy at 1000yds to penetrate multiple layers of body armor. Under the right conditions this particular combination is great out to about a mile or 1600yds and will yield excellent shot duplicity at that range. 2000yards is not out of the question, but honestly I would move myself 500 yards toward the target and guarantee that I was in the supersonic range of this cartridge. </div></div>

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=DBBnYPdfGCo

Any other way that you would like to prove yourself wrong? At 1500 in total shit conditions the 338 is a fairly easy shooter </div></div>

This post is about a range finder that would be for use with a 338LM. If you would like to post on another topic, perhaps ballistics of the 338 cartridge I will be happy to have that debate with you there. Deerkllr, good luck finding a suitable rangefinder and congratulation on your new 338.

I have an Leupold RX-III and have borrowed a Leica Rangemaster 1200.
I have been to this hillside twenty or so times last year. I have been ranging this one area every time. No readings from either finder until the 17th time when i got a reading of 1183(1185) yards with both.
The weather conditions were just right or maybe i was holding it just right.
The last time i was out there neither finder would range beyond 50 or so yards. This was after the fog lifted.
However the Leica works much more often than the Leupold in challenging conditions.

We all need a range finder that will range in somewhat bad conditions for instance, light fog,snow and rain, my Swaro ranges in good conditions but this year in Sask I could not get a reading of more 38yards in some light snow at dusk and missed a bruiser whitetail because of it. So I would like to find out if any rangefinder out will range in those conditions? The one I am looking forward to seeing the reviews when it comes out is the new G7BR2 from gunwerks, its supposed to range 2000yards and in nasty conditions and it aslo has a on board ballistic calculator and you can add your loads to it, and it gives real world drops depending on the conditions it reads as it has sensors on it. Would love to see this work properly as I would be a buyer.
Elmer

Congrats on the 338, I would recommend the leica 1600 it works great it won't range 2000 yards but it will range 1500 or so well enough, it compliments my 338 very well if I need a longer range you have to get creative which is okay it's not like your gonna be taking cold bore shots on deer @ 1900 yards. I noticed you are in MO where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He he he, you could just range 1000, drive there, range
another 1000, drive there to, then drop off your target and drive back,

Just sayin. Hahaha

Jim</div></div>

We do this even at 1000, when its kinda foggy we cant get readings past 500-600. We'll range, 500, leave a piece of cardboard, range another 500. Then the next time we return there, in sunny weather, we range the whole 1000, and usually come up with 1001 yards, so only 1 yard off, doing the driving thing.
Works for us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're kidding, right? The Swaro is rated with the same wattage as many of the others in its class. </div></div>

Definitely not kidding. I don't try it every time I use it, but everytime I have tried it I've been able to do it. It's an amazing piece of gear.

spotter2.jpg

Another alternative might be a Barr and Stroud or Wild range finder.(no electronics) They are in the 500 dollar range and are amazing accurate.(once you know how to use and calibrate) Heavy and bulky- Cool as hell and will range past 10,000 yards.
(Mine is in yards and has good optics)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Definitely not kidding. I don't try it every time I use it, but everytime I have tried it I've been able to do it. It's an amazing piece of gear.</div></div>

The reason I'm incredulous is that mil grade rangefinders like the PLRF and Vector have a much more powerful laser and sensitive receptors - that's primarily why they can range so far.

The hand held commercial models, especially the common ~$1k models like the Swaro all have lesser wattage and sensors. That's why they typically don't range past 1000m unless the conditions are excellent and the target particularly receptive. For example, my $500 Newcon ranges out to 600m very reliably, but beyond that it's a crapshoot. However, in rare instances I've pinged flat metal targets (normal to my position) in clear conditions out to 1300m. Moving up to a$ 1000 Swaro wasn't much of an improvement (though overall I like it MUCH more than the Newcon) and I couldn't reliably lase targets (rocks, steel plates, etc) beyond 1000m.

If a Swaro could reliably ping 1900m then we wouldn't be having discussions about mil grade rangefinders, me thinks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cz550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the 338, I would recommend the leica 1600 it works great it won't range 2000 yards but it will range 1500 or so well enough, it compliments my 338 very well if I need a longer range you have to get creative which is okay it's not like your gonna be taking cold bore shots on deer @ 1900 yards. I noticed you are in MO where? </div></div>

Thanks, im center of the state, live on thomas hill lake, its about an hour north of columbia.