best range finder

Re: best range finder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Definitely not kidding. I don't try it every time I use it, but everytime I have tried it I've been able to do it. It's an amazing piece of gear.</div></div>

The reason I'm incredulous is that mil grade rangefinders like the PLRF and Vector have a much more powerful laser and sensitive receptors - that's primarily why they can range so far.

The hand held commercial models, especially the common ~$1k models like the Swaro all have lesser wattage and sensors. That's why they typically don't range past 1000m unless the conditions are excellent and the target particularly receptive. For example, my $500 Newcon ranges out to 600m very reliably, but beyond that it's a crapshoot. However, in rare instances I've pinged flat metal targets (normal to my position) in clear conditions out to 1300m. Moving up to a$ 1000 Swaro wasn't much of an improvement (though overall I like it MUCH more than the Newcon) and I couldn't reliably lase targets (rocks, steel plates, etc) beyond 1000m.

If a Swaro could reliably ping 1900m then we wouldn't be having discussions about mil grade rangefinders, me thinks. </div></div>

I don't know what to tell you, I can only report my experience. I do live and shoot at high elevation where the humidity is typically in the 20% range. Maybe that's the difference. To make it even more unbelievable, the times I've tried it have all been cloudless days, and a cloudless day at 8,500ft in Colorado is pretty dang bright.

Interestingly, on a local forum there is another user of the same rangefinder who claims he's seen 1,999 come up on his. He seems to think the display doesn't go to 2,000. It must have something to do with the thin, dry air.

Conditions make ALL the difference.

Given the excellent conditions some of you guys experience as normal imagine what you could ping reliably with a PLRF15?

If 3k+ can be done in overcast poor light and drizzle then a reliable long distance ping would be easy given perfect atmospherics???

bushnell fusion. I have ranged to 1856 with mine, and 1750 isnt hard. It does have to be off a tree, hillside, bigger rock, building, something to that effect though, but I have done it in the fog, cloudy, and or raining. Plus the glass is good in them, and then you dont have to carry a set of binos either. If you have the money for a vectronix or plrf, by all means get one.

After researching & talking to guys that had them I took the plunge & got a PLRF 10
cool.gif

I have had several rangefinders and had a CRF 1200 & Swaro when I got the PLRF 10

There is ABSOLUTELY no comparision between the PLRF 10 & the Leica, Swaro rangefinders.

Comparing a 222, 223 & 338LM would be a close comparision to the differences in performance
grin.gif

The optics are great & they aren't much bigger than the Swaro.

I have just got a CRF 1600 for everyday hunting etc, I would consider getting one if you can't justify the $$$ for the PLRF 10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're kidding, right? The Swaro is rated with the same wattage as many of the others in its class. </div></div>

I can range 1900 yards after about 6pm mid summer in bright light.

In full midday sun, about 1500-1600 is it.

All on Douglas Fir pines.

They are mightly fine, but no PLRF. When hunting, I almost don't need my binos.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either the swaro again, or the zeiss, or the crf 1600.

The swaro glass may or may not be worth the extra $$$, but I got mine very cheap, so I'm happy with my choice.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Conditions make ALL the difference.

Given the excellent conditions some of you guys experience as normal imagine what you could ping reliably with a PLRF15?

If 3k+ can be done in overcast poor light and drizzle then a reliable long distance ping would be easy given perfect atmospherics??? </div></div>

Yep, but overcast, poor light conditions are ideal for longer ranges. Bright light is worse as there is more wavelength interference in between you and the target.

Rangefinding at night is the ideal condition.

I just took these rushed pics off my iphone. sorry for the poor quality. The tree that I know is 1990 yards ranged at - 1990 yards. The 1833 pic shows a bit better. The top most sheep (very kiwi of me) is at 1833. The willow trees to the left of the reticle all range over 1900y

1990-2.jpg

1833.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're kidding, right? The Swaro is rated with the same wattage as many of the others in its class. </div></div>

I can range 1900 yards after about 6pm mid summer in bright light.

In full midday sun, about 1500-1600 is it.

All on Douglas Fir pines.

They are mightly fine, but no PLRF. When hunting, I almost don't need my binos.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy either the swaro again, or the zeiss, or the crf 1600.

The swaro glass may or may not be worth the extra $$$, <span style="font-weight: bold">but I got mine very cheap</span>, so I'm happy with my choice.

Chris

</div></div>

They were quite cheap...I wonder who sold them to you...
laugh.gif

I sold a lot of stuff to get my PLRF10...I do not regret it at all !!!

There is absolutely no comparision between ordinary rangefinders & the PLRF10 including the price
grin.gif

i have the swaro and have ranged over 2k. on an elk hunt in CO, i hit a rock face 2 out of 3 times at 2,167 and 2,168.

now i'm going to get rid of that swaro, and have on order the plrf-10, because the beam divergence is huge on the swaro's in order to get it to range at far distances.

i was so pissed at my swaro on a recent coyote hunt, because i could not get consistent readings on flat ground on coyotes because the beam was so big.
when i got home the search for a better range finder began and that's how i found the vectronixs.
guys say that they can range an antelope at over 1k every single time with the plrf-10 on flat ground. you could NOT do that with a swaro.

beam divergence is one HUGE area where the high dollar range finders shine!

I've used my Swaro 8x RF with 75% + humidity sunny or partly cloudy, hazy days at 99F and gotten regular hits on a tree line at 1975 yards. I guess I'm getting lucky.

Trying to obtain a reading from the ground that far on sandy soil proves a bit more difficult.

Edited to add: I will agree that beam divergence is too large/spread on the Swaro's.

I'm not ranging a cliff or a treeline, but a steel target sitting amongst scrub and various sized cactus that is sometimes 12x18, but up to 30"x30" at distances over 1,200 yards. The swaro simply does not get it done under those conditions.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not ranging a cliff or a treeline, but a steel target sitting amongst scrub and various sized cactus that is sometimes 12x18, but up to 30"x30" at distances over 1,200 yards. The swaro simply does not get it done under those conditions.

JeffVN </div></div>

I'm with you on that Jeff! I get tired of having to range my friends truck when we set up our steel because my Swaro won't hit small objects well past a 1000Y or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovdasnow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i was so pissed at my swaro on a recent coyote hunt, because i could not get consistent readings on flat ground on coyotes because the beam was so big.
when i got home the search for a better range finder began and that's how i found the vectronixs.
guys say that they can range an antelope at over 1k every single time with the plrf-10 on flat ground. you could NOT do that with a swaro.

beam divergence is one HUGE area where the high dollar range finders shine! </div></div>

Exactly! Outright distance is of little use when you dont really know what the laser is bouncing off in a cluttered FOV! This is the main reason i sold my Zeiss and bought the Leica 1600, ive found it much better in hunting type situations for this reason... the beam divergence is the tightest of all the consumer LRF`s below the vectronics units. If you dont have the coin for the vectronix, get the Leica 1600.

If im simply shooting steel way out there, i just mark a waypoint when i drop the target and use my GPS for the distance... its not perfectly accurate, but upto the distance ive checked with my LRF about 1500yds, its within 10 yds or so which is close enough not to make a difference really, maybe 1 click on the scope, who cares?

My Bushnell Elite 1500 is hard to beat. semi-compact. I ranges a barn in Wisconsin while deer hunting in Nov 2010 at 1397yards. Treelines I have ranged out to 1300. Farthest I have ranged a deer in open pasture is 900. Hard as hell to keep it steady, but it can do it. for $3-400, hard to beat....

UTM or MGRS coodinates are just distance in meters from a designated zero point, expressed as an easting and a northing value. Given two locations, even absent a GPS (which will normally compute distance between two waypoints) some simple math as shown below will solve the problem.

Sniper’s coordinates: 29310E 52900N
TRP’s coordinates: 29720E 53410N

Subtract the easting values: 29720-29310 = 410
Subtract the northing values: 53410-52900 = 510

Using the Pythagorean Theorem, c² + b² = a² ;

Range² = 410² + 510²
Range² = 168,100 + 260,100
Range (in meters) = sqrt(428,200)
Range = 654 meters ( / .9144 = 715 yards)

yeah like that ^^^

Or, i just tell the GPS to 'navigate' to my waypoint, and it gives you the direction, ETA and all that including the distance to destination on screen...so you just keep moving away from the target until you get the desired distance displayed on screen... i can set the units in the setup menu to meters, km, feet, miles, yards, whatever i like... all with the iphone 3GS and 'compe GPS' app (doesnt need connectivity) which also runs ballistic FTE...

Seems plenty accurate enough to not require an expensive vectronix if thats the ONLY reason you need it...

Groper,

Does your GPS give you yards/meters past 1000? mine swaps to miles after 999 yards which means I lose a significant amount of resolution.
frown.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UTM or MGRS coodinates are just distance in meters from a designated zero point, expressed as an easting and a northing value. Given two locations, even absent a GPS (which will normally compute distance between two waypoints) some simple math as shown below will solve the problem.

Sniper’s coordinates: 29310E 52900N
TRP’s coordinates: 29720E 53410N

Subtract the easting values: 29720-29310 = 410
Subtract the northing values: 53410-52900 = 510

Using the Pythagorean Theorem, c² + b² = a² ;

Range² = 410² + 510²
Range² = 168,100 + 260,100
Range (in meters) = sqrt(428,200)
Range = 654 meters ( / .9144 = 715 yards)
</div></div>

science_square_0.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it will give me whatever units i tell it to, at any distance. Its all in the setup menus if your GPS or App etc has the ability to do so... </div></div>

Probably need a better (read: more expensive) GPS. It's a 5 yo Garmin. If I choose "yds" for unit of measure, it automatically switches to "miles" after 999 yds. and then back when it goes under.

Whoever said shooting was cheap fun?
wink.gif

Oh well. Still a *LOT* cheaper than a PLRF10!

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're kidding, right? The Swaro is rated with the same wattage as many of the others in its class. </div></div>

Definitely not kidding. I don't try it every time I use it, but everytime I have tried it I've been able to do it. It's an amazing piece of gear. </div></div>

FWIW, I have gotten readings out to 1979 yards on hillsides and trees with my Swaro. I wouldn't say it can do it 'all day long', but fairly frequently. That said, I hate the large aiming circle, stiff button, slow reads, and large beam divergence.

Anyone compare the Bushnell Fusion with the Swaro LG on pure ranging ability?

groper & CoryT, I went to Google Earth and switched to UTM coordinates. Then went to a couple locations where I had long range groundhog kills, entered the coords and did the calculations. WOW, range came out to within one yard of my "double hop" range finder readings.
So I set up an excel formula so all I have to do is enter the four coordinates and it gives me the yardage.
Thanks.

If you have a PDA or phone etc that will run an excel spreadsheet, thats a good way of automating the calculations from your 2 known GPS coordinates, if your GPS wont 'play the game'

Yes, i have used google earth and put known GPS coordinates in there, its quite good in terms of its positions shown in the photographs, they might be displaced about 30yards or so in 1 direction, but since the entire photo is the displaced the same amount, it generally works reasonably well simply measuring on google earth provided you have a good visual references that show on the photographs of where your shooting like a rocky outcropping on a hillside, or a road, or small building, lone tree, etc that you can identify in the GE photos and take your measurements from. Its good to about 30yards or so of accuracy over any distance you might wanna shoot.

In my case, on Google Earth, my shooting position was at an entrance to a hay field and the groundhog hole at my kill was actually visible on Google Earth. By ranging from the middle to both ends, my Bushnell 1000 said 821 yards, my calculations on GE came out to 822 yards. Needless to say, I was impressed.

Groper, I've got a phone that will do excel spreadsheets. I also have three GPSs counting the one built into the Pioneer dash radio in my motorhome. My handheld Garmin will do UTM coordinates, so I took it out for a test, setting a waypoint, then walking 150 yards. It gave me the distance in feet, but I was able to change it to a yardage readout.
My question - which I can figure out eventually. If your waypoint is across a valley with a lake in it, will the GPS give you LOS (line-of-sight) or distance around the lake?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CamoWildcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your waypoint is across a valley with a lake in it, will the GPS give you LOS (line-of-sight) or distance around the lake? </div></div>

Every GPS that I have ever used that is not a car GPS or a GPS which can be set to car mode gives you a straight-line distance to your next waypoint (not following ground terrain, either - distance across a valley is the straight line distance through the air, across a mountain is the straight line distance through the mountain). And then the car GPSs only provide routing on roads in their databases.

If you are using it for shooting ranging, this is what you want.

If you're using it for hiking and WANT a route around a lake or over a hill or something you just keep adding waypoints until the path is defined the way you want it. A GPS isn't smart enough to make a reasonable route around terrain features.

I hear ya. Isn't technology great!?

We live in a 43' motorhome and it is a great lifestyle thanks to technology - cell phones, internet, on-line banking, satellite TV.

011910BuckeyeAZ.jpg

It looks like the red read out that these range finder display is had to read, or is it just the appearence from the pictures? I have seen one Burris range finder, not made any more and that read out was black and easy to read.

I've used Bushnell 1500s and a couple arc 1600 fusions, and I'm thoroughly impressed with the fusions.

They'll hit anything up to 1300-1400yd, then will hit larger objects out to just past 1800. I have had similar results with 2 units. One is my grandpa's then I got my own.

I also really like that they are 10x binoculars and they have a built in inclinometer.

The 1500 elites do solidly to 800-900 then usually will hit larger objects to 1400-1500.

I've always had good luck with my Leica's. I had a 900 that worked great and sold it for the 1600. I've ranged stuff out to 1400y. Super small and half the price of a Vectronix. BUT, if I had the money and was looking get whatever was the best? Seems that Vectronix is the clear winner.