• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best Rem 5R mod you made

redroan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Ashton, Idaho
So my 5R is on its way, and i already have a laundry list of mods i would love to do, but as always coin is a limiting factor. Here is my current list...
-true action, bigger bolt knob
-timney trigger
-AAC 51T break (maybe a surefire instead) and eventually a can
-XLR Stock
-Ceracoat

So my question for current owners is, what has been your favorite mod(s) to your 5R?

Re: Best Rem 5R mod you made

Case of Bullets...
smile.gif

But i would recommend a good bipod/rear bag combo (Atlas/Harris and TAB/Triad, etc) if you don't already have one.

not trying to drown your dreams but imho
once you get it take it out and shoot it first before you look at customizing my first rem 5r shot 1/4moa out of the box with anal handloads and that was verified with another shooter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redroan4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So my 5R is on its way, and i already have a laundry list of mods i would love to do, but as always coin is a limiting factor. Here is my current list...
-true action, <span style="color: #006600">bigger bolt knob</span>
-<span style="color: #006600">timney trigger</span>
-<span style="color: #006600">XLR Stock</span>
-<span style="color: #006600">Ceracoat </span>

So my question for current owners is, what has been your favorite mod(s) to your 5R? </div></div>

Changing the trigger and adding a cheek riser was the best money spent. I would spend the rest of the money on reloading supplies.
Enjoy.
SScott

You won't need to do most of that shit to a 5r... many of them drive better than the user is capable of in the first place.

I'd have a badger knob put on and throw on a triad stock pack. I prefer to swap all my triggers for old-style and tune them myself, but that's a dangerous proposition if you don't know how to tune them right. If yours came with the "pro" trigger, then just adjust it with an allen key if needed. All the guns i've got with x-marks had nice crisp triggers, I just changed them for personal preference. I also swap all my recoil pads for limbsavers, they are tops IMHO.

If you can't get it to tighten up like you want, you can skim bed the stock with a very small amount of bedding compound under the action and lug... but honestly, i've never needed that on an HS stock. I'd suspect the ammo or the shooter if it doesn't live up to expectations.

IMHO, the 5r is the best thing to come out of remmy's civilian lines in a long time, it's smarter than the average bear.

If it were mine, upgrade the trigger and bed the action/stock and go enjoy it.

Also learn to reload if you don’t already... if it’s anything like my tactical and varmint models it will shine. I printed a nice 5 shot group yesterday with the tactical and some old 180 smk's, CTC was .25" I am pretty sure that's the tightest group I have fired out of that rifle to date.

I get the most bang for my limited coin via the scope mounts and the scope itself. Then the trigger, then the stock.
NF 15x
Harris bi-pod
Jewell Trigger
AICS 2.0

My 5R wound up with more mods than ever originally intended.

My lil' brother presented me with a McRee's stock. I've enjoyed tweaking the stock a bit, adding some flush cups and moving the pistol grip forward, as well as a tooled leather cheek pad.

This barrel is throated rather long, so I notched the feed ramp to allow COAL consistent with the AICS magazines.

I could never get uniform pull weight from the stock trigger, so I swapped it out with a Timney. Big improvement!

My wife is a fine rifle shot, but struggles just a bit with recoil, so I sent this off to GAP for a Surefire brake, along with bobbing the tube to 20 inches. Very pleased with the recoil reduction!

Just mounted and zeroed a new IOR 3.5-18. I liked the IOR it wore previously, but I'm sold on the mil/mil concept, so it was upgrade time.

I don't think the 5R's really need this level of modification, but it has been a fun project!

Cheers... Jim

iortwo.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redroan4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So my 5R is on its way, and i already have a laundry list of mods ...
-true action, bigger bolt knob
-timney trigger
-XLR Stock
-Ceracoat

So my question for current owners is, what has been your favorite mod(s) to your 5R? </div></div>

My most significant mods were the trigger and stock. My X-Mark did not tune well. I tried a number of settings and finally swapped it out. The large palm swell on the HS stock was not comfortable for me so I changed over to an A1-3 which fits me very well. I also had a an adjustable cheek piece put in the A1-3 that is VERY nice. However your stock pack may get you the cheek weld you need. You have to shoot the gun first to see if you even want/need these.

Bolt know - really liked this change. That is one upgrade that makes it big difference.

Good lick with yours! You are going to enjoy it.

The best modification I did to my 5r was to have the barrel reset so that I can load my 175smk's to the standard length of 2.81" and they're only jumping 10 thousanth of an inch before they're in the rifling.

Most shoot .5moa out of the box, so modifying them isn't necessary. Mine shoots so well i don't want to do anything.

My recommendation is to just buy ammo and shoot it. A stock pack to help cheek weld would be good tho.

I got mine a few weeks ago but haven't shot it yet. but realistically the only thing I plan on doing, if even that, is a different trigger. A muzzle brake and bigger bolt knob would be nice but neither one is necessary.

I'm fairly confident by reading all these posts on here about 5R's that it will be more than what I need as far as accuracy.

I love the HS 700p/5r style stocks. It may not be a $900 McM or Manners but I can shoot just as good with it. I got one for my other rifle as well. That extra $600 I save on each stock can go for reloading supplies and ammo IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know, the 5r now comes in 20" and threaded, so if that's your flavor you can get it from the start now. </div></div>

i havent seen these can you post a link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know, the 5r now comes in 20" and threaded, so if that's your flavor you can get it from the start now. </div></div>

i havent seen these can you post a link </div></div>

They are all over on gunsamerica and gunbroker. search 700 5r and a bunch will pop up new in box from FFL's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know, the 5r now comes in 20" and threaded, so if that's your flavor you can get it from the start now. </div></div>

i havent seen these can you post a link</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2577921

The best mod (meaning the one I notice most) is a 1.5# Timney trigger.

Other than that...

- Williams bottom metal
- Eagle stock pack
- Harris bipod
- Leupold Mark 4 rail & rings
- USO ST-10

Accuracy with FGGM is < .5 MOA, so no need for further tweaking until it's time for a new barrel.

5R308-1.jpg

1. Rifle Basix Trigger
2. Mark 4
3. A5 stock that I bedded
4. SAC bolt handle
5. Reloading: I started reloading because of this rifle. But I'm not after tiny groups for competition so the 1/4" improvement I've experienced with hand loads is cool but not necessary to whack steel plates. I've only shot it to 500yds so i haven't come close to testing it's limits. Great gun, maybe I'll get a brake/suppressor someday but maybe not.

Here's my 24" 5-R:

1. Rifle Basix Trigger
2. Varminter Bolt Knob
3. Eagle Stock Pad
4. Harris BRM-S Bipod
5. Badger 20 MOA Scope Rail
6. Burris Extreme Rings
7. SWFA SS 5-20 Scope

5R-24-L.jpg

5R-24-R.jpg

i havent seen these can you post a link </div></div>

Stopped by the LGS this morning and they had one in stock. It came home with me:

Here's the label on the box:
5R-20-Serial.jpg

The rifle:
5R-20-Rifle.jpg

The lettering is a little different than my 24" 5-R:
5R-20-Lettering.jpg

Threaded muzzle with thread protector in place:
5R-20-Thread.jpg

So I went to my lgs and they couldnt find this gun. Lol. I'm pretty new to this but is there a differnt model now? Any help would be sweet. Thanks Tate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tate1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I went to my lgs and they couldnt find this gun. Lol. I'm pretty new to this but is there a differnt model now? Any help would be sweet. Thanks Tate. </div></div>

Most LGS' won't have them. Order online and have it shipped to a FFL dealer to complete the transaction.

Hello from a new member that just got a 5R milspec (24") and did the following mods.

New HS stock in green (wanted a thicker recoil pad for comfort, and a different color for aesthetics)
"bolt lift" from Kinetic Research
Karsten cheek piece

I also plan on buying a Badger or CDI bottom metal setup later on down the road.

I'm using the weaver tactical 6 hole rings (30mm low) and weaver tactical 20 moa one piece base along with a Burris XTR 4-16 illum. mildot, and right now with the Hornady 178gr Superformance match, I'm chewing one cloverleaf hole at 100yds** without the signs of pressure that some were seeing out of their guns with that particular ammo.

**only a 3 shot group, but will have better results to post after a range session on Monday evening.

The 20" versions have only been recently produced and shipped--if you need one NOW, then by all means, order from someone on the interweb that has one. Otherwise, go to your LGS and ask that they order from Acusport (they are the exclusive distributors of the Remington 5R lineup). I heard that they will be shipping another batch in September or early October.

+1 on getting lots of ammo and burning it up--these are NICE guns.

Rifle Basix trigger and an AICS 1.5 Chassis. Puts 5 rnds of 175gr FGMM inside a penny at 100. A friend who does this for a living suggested I upgrade the stock and trigger before spending money on machine work. It was good advise in my case.

my first mod was getting rid of the xmark, swapped it out for a jewell lot of guys here dont like em , but I do, next mod was the palm swell stock, just cant make myself like it, just put in a sps that I pillar bedded, still ahve the H&S , another guy on here textured his with marine tex , looks great, I wonder if I could file off the palm swell & texture over it? anyway my favorite load so far is 175smk's 42gr imr4064 fed lr match primers, or 180 barnes, over 41gr varget same primer, but not as good groups not bad though for a hunting load, anyway I love the 5R so far even though I had to send it back in for warranty repair to bolt, & was not impressed with remys QC I"m still gonna replace my 300wm with another 700SS 5R, these things shoot well, if you dont reload you should that would be the best mod you could do to your 5R , you could not save any money by reloading but you can shoot a lot more, good shooting, now go out & see if all the 5R hype is true ,kill some cardboard & make some tiny little groups

Good scope and mounting system(don't scrimp here!); trigger if it needs it; stock pack.

Go shoot it.

I have been shooting and dinking with guns for 30 years and wish I had not spent all the money I did on "upgrades" I thought I needed.

I thought of swapping the barrel also. But then I took it to the range and I can't bring myself to changing it. Not only does it still have lots of life in it, but damn it shoots too good to mess with it.

Got more rifles instead.