• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best Rem 5R mod you made

Re: Best Rem 5R mod you made

I'm guessing most of you have the .308 version? I got the .223 along with a Timney trigger which I haven't installed yet. For some reason unlike most here my X-Mark is pretty good, probably 2.5-3lbs after adjusting the screw. Can anyone recommend a good muzzle brake that would look good as well considering the thickness of the barrel? Since i'm in NJ it needs to be permanently welded or pinned so I can't go with a screw in.

When shooting the .223 one I can maintain sight picture but only at very low magnification. I hope the brake will allow me to maintain picture even at higher mag on my Nightforce 22x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most shoot .5moa out of the box, so modifying them isn't necessary. Mine shoots so well i don't want to do anything.

My recommendation is to just buy ammo and shoot it. A stock pack to help cheek weld would be good tho.</div></div>

++1 Spend the money on a good mount, rings and optics, first, then get out and shoot it...a lot.

You can always upgrade later once you find out how it shoots and learn what may be necessary and not necessary.

They are a great out of the box rifle.

Here's the order I went in over the last year and a half of thinking and then trying new things, shooting, then thinking, trying, etc

1. Timney Trigger 2.5 lbs... though I just got a CG Jackson on another rifle and I'm thinking of switching it out.
2. AICS 1.5... I hated the original stock from the get-go but I shot about 500 rounds with it just to make sure I couldn't get used to it
3. Badger rings and base... got me higher on the gun... my original position was just too low and my scope was getting hit with spent cartridges
4. Badger brake... my .308 feels like a .22 now
5. AI adjustable butt plate... it goes up down and side to side now. Love this!
6. Atlas bipod... awesome, light, easier to preload load correctly, gimbal based swivel function makes it easier to go after moving targets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.M14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swapped the action, stock, and trigger out for a TRG. </div></div>
chuckles!
laugh.gif

Aadmount low rings
Badger picatinney rail
Marine tex the stock & added a Karstan adjustable cheek piece
Badger bolt knob
Recrown the barrel
Trigger job to 2 1/2 #s
Glass bed
Cammo stock
Filled the 6"x2"x2.5" hole in the HS stock
Replaced the plastic butt plate with a SLV plate
Put a Premier LT 3-15x50 scope on her & a Harris bi-pod

308.jpg

Not enough grip length on the original stock for me, so I replaced that with the McMillan and had it pillar bedded.

Added the Williams btm metal and Murphy rail (opened hoes to 8x40)

Cut bbl to 16.5" (for the sandstorm.)

Tuned the trigger, but that should be upgraded next.

I never fired it in the factory configuration, but it consistently shoots small groups today.

remmy003.jpg

Mark 4 4.5-14x50 scope, Ziess rings, Mark 4 20 moa base, BO bolt knob, teflon coating

remmy006.jpg

I have 2 harris bi-pod, had the barrel threaded, YHM 7.62 qd suppressor mount.

005-2.jpg

YHM 762 ss qd supperssor

moregunstuff28.jpg

H&S dettachable mag bottom metal with 10 rd and 4 rd mags, backed the trigger down to 2.5 pounds

The factory stock didn't fit me very well so I replaced mine with an H-S Sendaro style. I replaced the factory trigger with a Jewel, added a Badger trigger guard, cerracoated it a sniper grey and added optics.

IMG_9653.JPG

IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9654.JPG

It shoots amazingly tight groups. On it's last trip out I did a 5 shot group that went .19". Now I'm not a .19" group shooter and this isn't normal but the rifle is a lot more accurate than me
smile.gif

the 5r that is currently inmy safe is my 3 yr old sons( honestly)
I did this to it.
Bead blasted entire barreled action.. after duracoating it matte black and changind my mind.
It is an older model so it had a non x mark trigger that was cleaned, policshed and tuned to 2lbs.
Sunny hill bottom metal, ceracoated to match the ss finish
Sanded and played with dimensions of the hs stock, filled,skim bedded, epoxied studs etc. Painted in a few coats of rustoleum dark brown multi color texture with flat clear over it.
Tps base and 30 m m rings, ceracaoted to match ss finish
Leupold vari x 3 long range in ss finish, with m1 turrets in 4.5x14x50, with a custom shop reticle
added a wyatss extended mag box as it is cheaper than turning barrel and is still a good option. Doubt he will ever need/ miss a dbm setup, if he wants one he can have his pick of any I have.
harris bipod s model
decent sling
stock pack
been stocking up on win/ rws / hornady brass, 178 amax, etc for supplies...
Honestly I would say the extended mag box and trigger work is the best mod( the mag box is often over looked but most rem in 308 like longer coal than they can handle and feed from the bdl box..

Eventually we will figure out a load for it( it is my sons and I will teach him to reload, shoot and maintain this rifle and will keep it unfired until then)

If I did not already have almost too many 308 rifles I would be building one of the 20 inch 5 rs for myself ..