BEST RIFLE MANUFACTURER FOR F-CLASS COMPETITIONS.

bgedeon

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2011
Hello everyone!
I had a question about which manufacturer produces the best BOLT-ACTION rifle for the NRA F-Class competitions. I shoot 308 Winchester now, but if there's a better round I should be using, I'm certainly open to everyone's expertise on ammo selection as well. I was thinking of a Kelby rifle in about 2 years when mine has worn out--and I was wondering if this was a good choice--or whom is the best? Thanks everyone!

Re: BEST RIFLE MANUFACTURER FOR F-CLASS COMPETITIONS.

Welcome,
You're question is akin to asking "what is the best medicine"? For what?
F-class? Open or F/TR? F/TR is restricted to 308 or 223. Is that your only use? Will you be reloading or using factory?

To give you a specific answer, we need specific details; and "F-Class" in and of itself is rather vague.

When you say rifle manufacture I think Factory rifles. However if you are looking for a good gunsmith everyone is going to point you to a different person.

For the Cheap I see really good results with guys using factory f-class savages. Also you have to do a ton of shooting to wear out a .308 in 2 years. The Local National Guard guys here are using 20 year old+ M24s with god knows how many rounds and they are still going strong.

The two calibers that seem to stand out for F-class open is the 6.5mm x 284 and the 6mmbr. I personally would lean towards a 6.5mm x 284 however barrel life is not very good. I have heard of guys switching out barrels mid season before. So I would try and get a system like a savage so that I could just switch out barrels if that was the caliber I was going for.

Reactions: GLD

I'd start here but then again, F-Class isn't my thing.

carnell2x600.jpg

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/02/robert-cantrells-australian-benchrest-bulletin/

actually, go here and read to your heart's content.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/

Hard to generalize, but on the lines I have been to lately, I see tons of Savage in T/R;

in Open I see every custom action maker there is, but am seeing lots of Barnard lately (maybe since I shoot one, I just notice them).

Jeffvn

Thanks for the education, since I'm new to this. I guess I'll be shooting a 308 (although I'd like to shoot my 338 Lapua Magnum Sig Sauer Blaser Tactical 2--yet some ranges don't allow much more than a 308, so I have a great 308 made by FNH in a MacMillian (sp?)stock and a 24 inch barrel that is VERY accurate in 308). My competitions are mostly at 600, 500, 400 yards, but the big events are the 1,000 yards and I'm using reloads with Lapua brass and some great Lapua, Nossler, and Berger bullets. I was thinking of a Kelby custom built rifle (which they're a year out on orders!), but I don't knwo where to begin. I guess I'm sticking with the 308 Win. unless you can recommend a round I should be using (like the 6.5mm rounds made by Lapua)?? So does this information Help? As you can see I need a lot of help! And I appreciate every opportunity to learn form those who know!!
--Thanks, Doc.

out of the box Savage are hard to beat in price and accuracy. I have several custom rifles and, were I to do it all over again, i would get over the barrel nut look and get a savage.

If you know that F-class is what you want to shoot. I would contact a smith and have a good long discussion on the matter. Then build a rifle for that purpose rather than start with a factory product and keep throwing money at it until you get it where you wanted it in the first place.

I know some F-class winners out here in Northern CA that are shooting Spartan Precision rifles and very happy.

Sorry I've been away for so long, but work is a B$#CH right now!! Anyway, I am shooting F-T/R Class and thought about a Kelbley rifle? What do you think about that company?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Med Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry I've been away for so long, but work is a B$#CH right now!! Anyway, I am shooting F-T/R Class and thought about a Kelbley rifle? What do you think about that company? </div></div>

Kelbly's is a great company. A lot of F-Open shooters use their Panda actions. From what I've read, their tolerances are tight enough that barrels are interchangeable between actions, and that they can chamber you a new barrel without you having to send your action back to them.

But they are one of several good builders of F-Class rifles. At my local matches, I've seen excellent rifles built by Lester Bruno, Nat Lambeth, Larry P. Racine, Kenny Porter, and Mark Pharr.

Also consider Precision Rifle and Tool (their F-class lowboy stock is the shizzle, I have one on my F-Open gun and love it, and they now also have an F-TR specific stock), MT Guns (they import Barnard actions and can build you a complete gun), Long Rifles (Chad Dixon) and S & S Precision Rifles. These builders have good reputations here and elsewhere, and there are others out there too.

If you want something out of the box, the Savage Model 12 F-TR and Model 12 Palma are good to go (though the Palma has a nicer stock, it also has a 1:13 twist barrel, so you are limited somewhat in how heavy a bullet you can shoot). The Savage F-TR team purported shoots out-of-the-box rifles, and they win. You can buy one, upgrade the barrel if the factory one doesn't shoot to your satisfaction, and still be a good way ahead $ wise compared to a full blown custom.

Thank you so much. That's the exact info I was looking for! I'll check out those other manufacturers as well.