• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes best scope for less then $350?

tedd_hardy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2006
Oregon
I need to find A nice quality scope for about $350 (can go a little more but trying for $350) to go on a .223 savage. I've looked at the super-sniper 10x42, but I think 10x is a little low. 400 yards is the longest range I have access to right now. So anyone have any experience with a ss10x42 out to 400? I was thinking maybe something like 14-18 power would be better? And any advice for rings and bases for said set-up would be appreciated too.

TIA
ninja

Re: best scope for less then $350?

just to chime in on the 10x being a bit low... i was afraid of that too for long range at first, but at 575 it hasnt posed a single problem yet. i havent stretched it out to 1000 but i was truly surprised, I was even looking for a more powerful optic setup to replace it until i was able to try 575. so i wouldnt completely write off a 10x. that being siad the super sniper is an outstanding scope.

ive also heard good things about the TRS series fro the money

Tia,
I think that the Pentax 4.5x14 Pioneer Scope with the Ballistic Plex Reticle item# 89621 is a great scope for the money. More than adequate for 400 yds and @ $249.99 it is a great deal while maintaining quality. As for mounting – I suggest the Burris Signature rings and bases Medium High is your best bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gr8fuldoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tia,
I think that the Pentax 4.5x14 Pioneer Scope with the Ballistic Plex Reticle item# 89621 is a great scope for the money. More than adequate for 400 yds and @ $249.99 it is a great deal while maintaining quality. As for mounting – I suggest the Burris Signature rings and bases Medium High is your best bet. </div></div>

Every scope should be offered with mildots

SS10x, bushnell 3200, never tried the millet, tried one barska on a friends and it seemed good enough.
I hate SFP scopes, always measuring with the mill for adjustments if needed then measure wrong. That might just be me though. I picked the super sniper line for cheaper scope of good quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 Mil-Dot, SF, 1" tube. Damn nice optic for the $$$.

The new Bushnell 3200 tactical would be a nice also, or bump up to the 4200 for a little more cash.</div></div>
Agree w/ 7mmRM, Nikon quoted is A Great Scope for the Price
PM Sent

I have not had a problem with 8X at 600 yards(as far as hitting a 18" steel plate).I don't think you will have any problems with 10X at 400 yards.(this all depends on what you can see when firing)
I would think a fixed power scope would give you the best bang/quality for the buck at 400 yards.
Like I said My scope on 8X was good(yes I liked more power when possible).But my friend was hitting pretty good with open sights at 600 yards with his AK74.
It comes down to the shooter and rifle/ammo quality(and wind speed) IMO.

I love Burris signature offset rings.They make it possible to zero your sights without touching your scopes internal adjustments.I am not kidding.
I do it all the time(I actually ZERO my scope with the offsets while having my scope adjustments zeroed).
My ar15 is easy to adjust from 100 yards to 600 yards without using up my scopes internal adjustments.
I would expect they would not hold up to HEAVY recoil,or COMBAT.
But I see none of that.
Great product IMO.
They have offsets from .005 -.020 as far as I know.

Well, I think I'm leaning toward the millett TRS-1, cause I like the fact that it has a lit reticle, big target nobs, And it just looks cool
wink.gif
. That being said, that Nikon looks like a nice scope too. So which one is better?

Thanks
ninja

NHD,

I cant really comment on the Millet, because I have never used one. It does look like a nice option for the 350ish price range. There has been a few here that bought them, but I cant remember any in depth review. One thing that I wouldnt like is the 1/8moa adjustments. IMO, 1/8moa flat ass sucks for a tactical type scope.

I do however have a couple of the Nikons and they are an awesome scope for the $$. I have one on my Sav 10ML and it holds up to the punishing SOB with zero problems. Good glass, 1/4moa lo pro knobs that track and repeat great, side focus. The fit and finnish is very nice also.

I ordered a Millett from Donnie the other day. Read a few good reviews on it and everyone said it was a great buy. I've got a 6-18 buckmaster that has 1/8" knobs and it doesn't bother me. I also don't really do tactical comps so it's no big deal for me to turn the knobs twice the amount.

I'd say the mueller TacII for the money would be excellent. I was comparing my mueller extreme to my Nikon 4-16x50 tactical today- about a $900 price difference. And the mueller is nice, I think really nice for the $130 I paid for it. Close up it is crystal clear ,only at about 600yd to you see the Nikon shine through, but I paid a lot less for it and functionally it is great. Jap glass and steel parts, Mueller is hard to beat.

mueller told me the TacII has better glass than the extreme which I bought, but only the most discerning eye could tell at long range. The TacII would be nice.

I formed the opposite opinion of Sightron after buying the top of the line S3 6-24 MD. Three replacements later and all of them suffered from a fuzzy image, parallax adjustment that didn't hold steady through power adjustment(image would blur and parallax was off if you moved the power). Didn't like the ittty-bitty knobs either. Sightron even admitted to me that there was a problem, but would not elaborate.

I like my $175 Bushnell Elite 3200 10x and my $400 Nikon Monarch better, even if there were not a price difference(Sightron was $750.00). Luckily I got my money back and got a USO instead.
Even set to the same power(20x) the Nikon blew away the Sightron on focus and clarity.

Just my opinion, based on use.

On the opposite side of what Rafael experienced, I wouldn't trade my Sightron S3 for a Nightforce NXS or even a USO. That is, unless I could sell them and buy 2 Sightron S3's.

Now, if I only had $350 to spend, I'd get a Sightron S2 4.5-14x42mm.

Maybe not the best scope, but maybe the best three scopes for under $350.

The Tasco VAR624X43M is a Varmint/Target Variable, 42mm adjustable objective that focuses down to 15yd. 6-24 variable Magnification, USMC style MilDot reticle that ranges at 8X. 1/4MOA elevation, 1/8 MOA windage adjustments. Complaints, only one, the image could be a bit brighter at maximum magnification. Mine (I bought four) listed locally at $79.95 about a year ago. Three are mounted, on a much modified Savage 10FP .260 F Class comp rifle, a lightweight .30-'06, and a Savage 112BVSS .308. No failures, no embarassments so far.

Greg

Blackpool is in England. I hear it's a fun time, too. However, something tells me shipping is going to be more than 13.50 E from Blackpool, UK to Idaho, USA.(our original poster's address). I could be wrong. Even so, customs will definitely slow yer delivery some.

Almsot forgot to ask. Is there a sun shade for the 3200 10X Tactical?

WYK

OK, time for an update. I'm defiantly getting the millett trs-1, I just think it's the best scope for my situation (and it looks sweet
smile.gif
). Now I need some help on rings and a base. My problem is, I can't really seem to justify $50+ for a pair of rings, and another $50+ on a base. Am I just being cheap, or is there any real need for $100+ in rings/bases. I mean, I'm not going to be throwing my rifle around or crawling though the jungle. So could I just use some cheapie Leupold Rifleman stuff? Or will going cheap on this stuff come back and bite me later?

Thanks
Ninja

Going cheap will come back to bite you later. If you dont get the good stuff now you will eventaully want it/buy it, then your out of more $$$$. Get the Burris XTR rings and a good picatinny base. You will not regret it- buy once, cry once!

I think it depends on what your doing with the rifle as far as mounts.
I'm using cheap burris signature rings with offsets($40 bucks I believe) and have no trouble with 1/2 groups at 100 yrds as well as hitting M.O.A. and better at 600 yards.
I don't compete or hunt with this setup.But on my LOW recoil 223 ar15 it is proving to be the ticket.Ive been using them now for over 1200 rnds on this setup.
I would not expect them to hold up to abuse well.But I don't plan on dropping my rifle anytime soon.
My scopes adjustment is zeroed!I sight in using the shims until I am within an inch.I can also use the shims to change out for long range.
For anybody on a budget,and want something that WILL work better than most(as far as slapping on rings)...I recommend them.
I DO question the P.O.I. change that could happen as temperatures change alot(from cold morning to HOT afternoon),But I think that could apply to ANY scope,rings,,and rifle.
BTW,what is this going on again?
I have a flat top ar15,So I had to get a riser.I went with A.R.M.S. swan for an ar10($80 buck I think).It gave me plenty of room for mounting any scope I wanted.It gave me a 1/2 inch rise.Using high rings and mount my scope has about 1/2 inch of clearance between the bell and float tube, and 1/4 inch at the eye piece.

Well that's what I thought about going SUPER cheap. Guess I'll just get what Donnie at BRT told me to lol. Like 7mmRM said, buy once, cry once! Thanks for all your help and input guys!!

L8azz
ninja

*EDIT* Oh yeah, and today's my 18th b-day!!! YAY!!

i hear alot of good things about the millet trs tactical 4x16. yall have almost got me sold on it, but i was wondering how does it hold up to a konus 4x16 tactical? the both have 30 mm tubes, the same magnification.what do yall think? thanks for your time and happy shooting.

Well I finally made my decision I was bent on the Falcon 4-14FFP even though its a little bit more but due to the recent problem with the last batch I decided to go with the Millett TRS-1 as my very first scope. I only barely liked the Falcon more than the Millett because of the mil adjustments however the news of poor quality glass and a recall forced my hand back to the Millett. I am still interested in the Falcon and may purchase one at a later date however I am currently not willing to wait for them to fix a problem that should not have made its way to the retailer before being caught.

http://blog.snipercentral.com/?m=200806

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 Mil-Dot, SF, 1" tube. Damn nice optic for the $$$.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1892-220-nikon-45-14x40-buckmaster-riflescope.aspx

The new Bushnell 3200 tactical would be a nice also, or bump up to the 4200 for a little more cash. </div></div>

I have the above mentioned scope purchased at the advice of Scott with Liberty Optics. I'm very happy with it.

Two years ago we built a .223 [Manson .250" neck short throat reamer] on a [$50 BIG5] 1903 Turk Mauser with [$40 gunshow] Douglas 1 in 16" twist Chrome Moly sporter taper barrel, a [$35 Midway] European style stock with "a beaded "pancake" cheekpiece, action-reinforcing "islands," and a schnabel forend with Miles Gilbert brand blued steel Niedner-style buttplates". It is used single shot.

We put a Leupold VX-II 6x18x40 [$375 SWFA] scope on it.

It shoots 35 gr Vmax 15 gr Blue Dot 3500 fps into 1" 5 shot 100y groups average, .5" best groups.

It has killed hundreds of rodents at ranges up to 200 yards.

That rifle looks great, shoots great, is used, and is loved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your post makes no sense? are you looking for advice on a scope for under $350, or is there supposed to be a link to a writeup or something?</div></div>

Out of roughly 42+ posts trying to give this guy a little advice, redneck you've got to come in here trying to shit on his thread?

Why don't you read more and post less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your post makes no sense? are you looking for advice on a scope for under $350, or is there supposed to be a link to a writeup or something?</div></div>

Out of roughly 42+ posts trying to give this guy a little advice, redneck you've got to come in here trying to shit on his thread?

Why don't you read more and post less. </div></div>

ohh shit, my bad mike. when i clicked the thread it took me to the second page, and i saw the first post, and it made no sense. i didnt know there were 2 pages, sorry.