Best ss zermatt origins pre-fit barrel for 6.5cm

JRBullock1987

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2023
Washington
Been dabbling with precision shooting with an ar15 build I did and I enjoy it so much that I'm going to venture into bolt gun precision shooting starting with a build bc I also enjoy that as well. I'm going with zermatt origins action in 6.5cm and want to know what some good stainless steel pre-fit barrels are and what the best contour is for long range precision shooting?
Also what are some good chassis?
Thanks,
Justin

Josh @bohem from PVA is here on the site and can spin one up for you. He does great work and I have one of his 6.5 Creedmoor prefits on my Origin. I would recommend them.

As for contour, that's up to you and how much weight you want but an M24 is a good place to start. Can go up from there. That's an M24 in the pic. Also go 26" to get good velocities.

IMG_4104.jpg

Reactions: JRBullock1987
Josh @bohem from PVA is here on the site and can spin one up for you. He does great work and I have one of his 6.5 Creedmoor prefits on my Origin. I would recommend them.

As for contour, that's up to you and how much weight you want but an M24 is a good place to start. Can go up from there. That's an M24 in the pic. Also go 26" to get good velocities.

View attachment 8464933
Cool thanks bro!

Do you think that since I'm not gunna skimp on quality parts but which means it'll take me longer to purchase everything I should just go with an impact 737r action for roughly $500ish more or start off with zermatt origins action since this will be my first bolt gun or just say eff it, wait longer and not be able to shoot and go with the impact or get the zermatt origins action and be able to build a bit sooner and put that money into reloading comportment for load development. I'm the kinda person that likes to just get the best I can that's not insanely out of my limit and save and not buy cheap crap. So is the zermatt origins action going to be a capable action that's very precise and that's something I won't have to upgrade after a short while of shooting and outgrow fairly quickly. I'm a decent shot however I am left handed and will be getting a right handed setup and learning to shoot with my right so I don't have to go out of my way to get special equipment for left-handed crap. I'm semi ambidextrous so I think it'll def be a learning curve but I'll pick it up at a decently moderate pace. I hope so at least. But irregardless I don't want to put down a bunch of money that I'll outgrow quickly is what I'm trying to get at lol

Do you think that since I'm not gunna skimp on quality parts but which means it'll take me longer to purchase everything I should just go with an impact 737r action for roughly $500ish more or start off with zermatt origins action since this will be my first bolt gun or just say eff it, wait longer and not be able to shoot and go with the impact or get the zermatt origins action and be able to build a bit sooner and put that money into reloading comportment for load development. I'm the kinda person that likes to just get the best I can that's not insanely out of my limit and save and not buy cheap crap. So is the zermatt origins action going to be a capable action that's very precise and that's something I won't have to upgrade after a short while of shooting and outgrow fairly quickly. I'm a decent shot however I am left handed and will be getting a right handed setup and learning to shoot with my right so I don't have to go out of my way to get special equipment for left-handed crap. I'm semi ambidextrous so I think it'll def be a learning curve but I'll pick it up at a decently moderate pace. I hope so at least. But irregardless I don't want to put down a bunch of money that I'll outgrow quickly is what I'm trying to get at lol
The origin will be fine and if you out grow anything. I think it’ll be the cartridge. And I’m pretty sure someone blew up there origin action or maybe it was a tl3 and zermatt had him send it in and I’m pretty sure they replaced it…. I don’t thin impact will do that and it was 100% his fault. Just saying. Not that anyone wants to blow up there action. But nice to know they have your back in case u do

The origin will be fine and if you out grow anything. I think it’ll be the cartridge. And I’m pretty sure someone blew up there origin action or maybe it was a tl3 and zermatt had him send it in and I’m pretty sure they replaced it…. I don’t thin impact will do that and it was 100% his fault. Just saying. Not that anyone wants to blow up there action. But nice to know they have your back in case u do
That's for that they did that. I'm actually kinda looking forward to starting my shooting skills all over again right handed. While it feels weird to position myself in right handed position behind a rifle it does feel like I might be better than left hamded once I get used to it. I a tually shoot a bow right handed. I know I'm weird. It's a new challenge with a new sport (precision shooting with a bolt gun) and I can learn everything correctly without having bad form or habits. Easier to resell probably too if I ever wanted to.

I would stay with your plan. Take the extra ( if there is any) and get more ammo, shoot this thing as if your goal is to wear the barrel out. Do not waste ammo, learn from every shot, keep records of what works and what doesn’t. Learn how it handles at distance and check your dope card data. Try a local match if you can, see what you don’t like and figure out how to change so that things work. Sounds like you will have good equipment so make it work for you! And most of all HAVE FUN!

That's for that they did that. I'm actually kinda looking forward to starting my shooting skills all over again right handed. While it feels weird to position myself in right handed position behind a rifle it does feel like I might be better than left hamded once I get used to it. I a tually shoot a bow right handed. I know I'm weird. It's a new challenge with a new sport (precision shooting with a bolt gun) and I can learn everything correctly without having bad form or habits. Easier to resell probably too if I ever wanted to.
Yeah or you could just buy a left hand one there is always a few left hand rifles for sale in the px but if you want to shoot right handed then go ahead it’s your money

I would stay with your plan. Take the extra ( if there is any) and get more ammo, shoot this thing as if your goal is to wear the barrel out. Do not waste ammo, learn from every shot, keep records of what works and what doesn’t. Learn how it handles at distance and check your dope card data. Try a local match if you can, see what you don’t like and figure out how to change so that things work. Sounds like you will have good equipment so make it work for you! And most of all HAVE FUN!
That's the plan. Thanks for that. I have a good reloading base just not for bolt guns so it'll be fun and nice not having your brass wear out in 4 firings lol.

Reactions: oldrifleman
In addition to what everyone else had posted, Paul @ Evolved Ballistics is another good source for actions, barrels, etc. If you are LE/MIL/first responder he gives a nice discount too.

I prefer nut style pre fits for my Origin actions. I want the ability to adjust headspace (not likely needed) to my preference. I've been getting them from Southern Precision Rifles (aka Bugholes) and have been extremely satisfied. Different strokes for different folks.

My latest barrel (pic below) was from KI Precision and I've been impressed as well. Lots of good options out there!

Origin_6.5_Creedmoor_01.jpg

The Impact is a fine action but you won't shoot any more accurately with it. The Origin is also not cheap crap. One thing the Origin has going for it is easy bolt face swaps. That means you can start with a 6.5 Creedmoor and then you want a .223. You just buy a .223 prefit and a .223 bolt face and swap them out and now you have a .223 for much less than a whole new rifle.

In addition to what everyone else had posted, Paul @ Evolved Ballistics is another good source for actions, barrels, etc. If you are LE/MIL/first responder he gives a nice discount too.

I prefer nut style pre fits for my Origin actions. I want the ability to adjust headspace (not likely needed) to my preference. I've been getting them from Southern Precision Rifles (aka Bugholes) and have been extremely satisfied. Different strokes for different folks.

My latest barrel (pic below) was from KI Precision and I've been impressed as well. Lots of good options out there!

View attachment 8465297
Very nice looking rifle

Reactions: stevieb92
The Impact is a fine action but you won't shoot any more accurately with it. The Origin is also not cheap crap. One thing the Origin has going for it is easy bolt face swaps. That means you can start with a 6.5 Creedmoor and then you want a .223. You just buy a .223 prefit and a .223 bolt face and swap them out and now you have a .223 for much less than a whole new rifle.
I actually might do that. I like shooting. 223

Yeah the bolt face change option is a good feature to have. I personally don’t think that with an Origin I would use a nut barrel., not when you have a good selection of shouldered precuts available, some near off the shelf. You just stick the barrel into the barrel vice, add anti-seize, start screwing on the barrel when hand tight insert action wrench, torque to 75-90 lb/ft and you are done, easy!

Yeah the bolt face change option is a good feature to have. I personally don’t think that with an Origin I would use a nut barrel., not when you have a good selection of shouldered precuts available, some near off the shelf. You just stick the barrel into the barrel vice, add anti-seize, start screwing on the barrel when hand tight insert action wrench, torque to 75-90 lb/ft and you are done, easy!
That's kinda what I was thinking I didn't know the barrel nut option even existed

You won't out grow an Origin

I took the one I have listed here in the PX out to 1000 yards and had no problem getting impacts and that was with a lower end scope.

Take a look at the left handed 6.5 Barreled Action Origin that I have listed. It's everything you need to get you shooting immediately.

The barrel nut barrels grew out of the need to easily rebate action that are not as uniform as the newer customs. I believe that savage is where I first heard them being used but it quickly moved to the rem 700s and other factory rifles. You needed the nut to allow headspace adjustment to counter less than nominal actions. With a custom it is like stepping back into the 90’s.

Lots of nay sayers on barrel nuts, but I'll stick with them till I'm dead. IDGAF.

The first time you screw on a shouldered barrel and have a headspace issue, you'll wish you had a nut.

Most people on here can't shoot the difference in accuracy potential between the two.

People should know about the options and make the decision for themselves instead of being strong armed into one or the other.

I just put a new barrel nut barrel on the origin. Install was still super easy. Almost like it’s 80%the same process as a shouldered. It was 450 to my door. Makes me not feel so bad for burning out 22 creeds. Shoots every bit as accurately.

Use what you want and what you can find on sale.

image.jpg

Lots of nay sayers on barrel nuts, but I'll stick with them till I'm dead. IDGAF.

The first time you screw on a shouldered barrel and have a headspace issue, you'll wish you had a nut.

Most people on here can't shoot the difference in accuracy potential between the two.

People should know about the options and make the decision for themselves instead of being strong armed into one or the other.

I agree with this. I have had both. Great precision/accuracy with both types. I check headspace on my shouldered prefits every time anyway, so not much difference in time to install a nut prefit.

And with a nut, I can even tweak the fit a bit for my needs.

I guess some people don't like the look, and with an OEM stock there might be some fit issues, but with prs chassis and stocks they're open enough for the nut and the heavy contour barrels.

And you can get a bad nut chamber too. Barrel but doesn’t make it perfect. Just adds more to the process. I have had probably 15 shouldered prefits and chambers have been perfect.

And it’s not about accuracy as both will shoot accurately.

And you can get a bad nut chamber too. Barrel but doesn’t make it perfect. Just adds more to the process. I have had probably 15 shouldered prefits and chambers have been perfect.

And it’s not about accuracy as both will shoot accurately.
More to the process? You're reaching dude. LMAO! It isn't that much more that anyone with a smidge of mechanical ability can't tackle in a minute or two. I guess some people don't have any mechanical ability and should wear a skirt...

I never said a barrel nut makes it perfect, did I? It allows the end user to adjust headspace if needed. That's it. I'll take that advantage, so I don't have to ship the barrel back to the smith who made it and wait while it's fixed. My luck the barrel would get lost during shipping.

We've argued about this exact thing multiple times. I've got my opinion and you've got yours. You would earn more respect here if you presented both options to users and let them decide instead of saying "Yeah forget barrel nuts. Useless option with these actions." Just because you don't like it or use them doesn't mean everyone has the same opinion. When I respond to someone inquiring about pre fits I present both options and let them decide.

I decided on an Origin for my first “custom” 3+ years ago, and now after thousands of rounds and 4 barrels, I don’t regret it one bit versus an Impact or anything else.

The Origin can do many tricks most actions can’t in so far as keeping your options open and there’s nothing about it that feels less-than or cheap at all. Arguably, a push-feed action would be a downgrade from a CRF/mechanical-ejector Origin and Zermatt’s CS is second to none.

Mine has been on a steady diet of ~$500 Proof prefits (usually from Front Range Precision) and while I shoot with the guys from Bugholes from time to time and know their shit is amazing, I’m too cheap thrifty to spend near double for a barrel (YMMV).

I decided on an Origin for my first “custom” 3+ years ago, and now after thousands of rounds and 4 barrels, I don’t regret it one bit versus an Impact or anything else.

The Origin can do many tricks most actions can’t in so far as keeping your options open and there’s nothing about it that feels less-than or cheap at all.

Mine has been on a steady diet of ~$500 Proof prefits (usually from Front Range Precision) and while I shoot with the guys from Bugholes from time to time and know their shit is amazing, I’m too cheap thrifty to spend near double for a barrel (YMMV).
Good to know. Thanks bro

Reactions: CK1.0
More to the process? You're reaching dude. LMAO! It isn't that much more that anyone with a smidge of mechanical ability can't tackle in a minute or two. I guess some people don't have any mechanical ability and should wear a skirt...

I never said a barrel nut makes it perfect, did I? It allows the end user to adjust headspace if needed. That's it. I'll take that advantage, so I don't have to ship the barrel back to the smith who made it and wait while it's fixed. My luck the barrel would get lost during shipping.

We've argued about this exact thing multiple times. I've got my opinion and you've got yours. You would earn more respect here if you presented both options to users and let them decide instead of saying "Yeah forget barrel nuts. Useless option with these actions." Just because you don't like it or use them doesn't mean everyone has the same opinion. When I respond to someone inquiring about pre fits I present both options and let them decide.
Lol so guys who use shouldered prefits wear skirts? Lol ok. Tell me I reaching saying there is more to it and then say there is more. That makes perfect sense. 😉

Stick with your 90s Savage tech and I will be up here in the 2020s. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: stevieb92
My point went right over your head.

Next argument. 9 or 45?

Out of curiosity - how often do you have to actually adjust your headspace throughout the life of the barrel? What issues are you coming across in which you have to use this feature?

It's a bit of a double edge sword - you gain that functionality (which I'm not convinced is needed), but you also introduce a new variable that needs to be controlled (headspace) whenever you remove and attach a barrel. The former seems unnecessary and the latter seems annoying.

Barrel nuts also limit the contours available to you.

If it works for you, then who am I to say you should do something different. I just don't see the argument for needing adjustable headspace.

Out of curiosity - how often do you have to actually adjust your headspace throughout the life of the barrel? What issues are you coming across in which you have to use this feature?

It's a bit of a double edge sword - you gain that functionality (which I'm not convinced is needed), but you also introduce a new variable that needs to be controlled (headspace) whenever you remove and attach a barrel. The former seems unnecessary and the latter seems annoying.

Barrel nuts also limit the contours available to you.

If it works for you, then who am I to say you should do something different. I just don't see the argument for needing adjustable headspace.
I don't adjust headspace throughout the life of a barrel. It's a risk mitigation in my mind. The risk (small) of getting a shouldered barrel and not having it headspace properly is not something I want to deal with, so I go the route of using a nut. I don't want to have the hassle of sending a barrel back to the gunsmith. The risk of losing it in the shipping process is real.

Just do a quick google search and you'll find various forum threads of folks who have purchased shouldered prefits and can't get them to headspace. If they had a nut, there would be no forum thread about it because they adjusted it and moved on with life. That's what I prefer. Adjust it and move on with life.

The only barrel nut I use is from Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes) and I can use any contour I like. Their design allows up to 1.25 straight contours. The picture I posted in this thread is shown with a heavy varmint on an Origin action and their BugNut. Other nut styles may not be able to do this.

BugNut