Best ss zermatt origins pre-fit barrel for 6.5cm

Out of curiosity - how often do you have to actually adjust your headspace throughout the life of the barrel? What issues are you coming across in which you have to use this feature?

It's a bit of a double edge sword - you gain that functionality (which I'm not convinced is needed), but you also introduce a new variable that needs to be controlled (headspace) whenever you remove and attach a barrel. The former seems unnecessary and the latter seems annoying.

Barrel nuts also limit the contours available to you.

If it works for you, then who am I to say you should do something different. I just don't see the argument for needing adjustable headspace.
One time when I install it, I don’t swap back and forth in the middle of its life.
But I make sure it’s set up (the same as the old shouldered it just replaced) so that my old brass fits nicely vs having to deal with shorter or longer brass lengths that I could encounter with another shouldered that wasn’t exactly the same. And it’s a time penalty of like 4 minutes maybe, maybe only that long because I get another beer in the middle of it.

Barrel nuts are just another option.

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill with saying that it's "more to the process". Thanks for the rude comment. Sticks and stones and all that!

Attachments

• C212E1A4-1AB6-4EBA-8E0E-C1B24C1EB69C.gif
    C212E1A4-1AB6-4EBA-8E0E-C1B24C1EB69C.gif
    444 KB · Views: 28
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill with saying that it's "more to the process". Thanks for the rude comment. Sticks and stones and all that!

Actually you are in that shouldered prefits are rarely bad and when they are they were probably bought from some cheap company like “barrels R us”. Having to have a barrel nut just to adjust headspace as the only reason is not a good enough reason in todays world. At least not for me.

Reactions: kthomas
Actually you are in that shouldered prefits are rarely bad and when they are they were probably bought from some cheap company like “barrels R us”. Having to have a barrel nut just to adjust headspace as the only reason is not a good enough reason in todays world. At least not for me.
It's a good reason to me. I don't want to lose a $700-800 barrel in shipping back to the gunsmith.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
It's a good reason to me. I don't want to lose a $700-800 barrel in shipping back to the gunsmith.

Again. Very rarely happens and with a good company it’s even more rare. Also you wouldn’t lose anything as they are insured. What about having to ship that nut barrel back if they screwed up the chamber? Can’t always adjust the headspace to perfect. Chance to get a screwed up barrel there too.

Reactions: oldrifleman
Again. Very rarely happens and with a good company it’s even more rare. Also you wouldn’t lose anything as they are insured. What about having to ship that nut barrel back if they screwed up the chamber? Can’t always adjust the headspace to perfect. Chance to get a screwed up barrel there too.
Yeah, insured. Right. It isn't always guaranteed you will get your money back. Why go through the hassle and wait time of months? Not worth the risk to me. A chamber issue other than headspace isn't what we're talking about here. Stay on topic. When it does happen to you, you will be wishing you had a nut that you could take care of the issue yourself.

I've never had an issue using SPR and KI Precision. Top notch companies. This horse is fucking dead from the beating you smooth brains are giving it, but I'm sticking with the barrel nuts.

Yeah, insured. Right. It isn't always guaranteed you will get your money back. Why go through the hassle and wait time of months? Not worth the risk to me. A chamber issue other than headspace isn't what we're talking about here. Stay on topic. When it does happen to you, you will be wishing you had a nut that you could take care of the issue yourself.

I've never had an issue using SPR and KI Precision. Top notch companies. This horse is fucking dead from the beating you smooth brains are giving it, but I'm sticking with the barrel nuts.

Man you are trying everything to make nuts look like the way to go lol And chamber issue i was speaking of is headspace. They go too deep or too shallow then no headspace a nut can fix. That was the point. And any good company will make shipping back simple and secure in that very rare occurrence you are worried about.

Again if you buy from a quality company/smith then the chances are very rare you will have that happen with either so if a barrel nut helps you sleep at night then have at it. I won’t to worry about that “what if”. Lol

Yup horse dead from getting hit in the head with barrel nuts. Lol

Man you are trying everything to make nuts look like the way to go lol And chamber issue i was speaking of is headspace. They go too deep or too shallow then no headspace a nut can fix. That was the point. And any good company will make shipping back simple and secure in that very rare occurrence you are worried about.

Again if you buy from a quality company/smith then the chances are very rare you will have that happen with either so if a barrel nut helps you sleep at night then have at it. I won’t to worry about that “what if”. Lol

Yup horse dead from getting hit in the head with barrel nuts. Lol
Yeah some people just can't quit playing with their nuts :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas and Rob01
I've got a Remington action with a prefit barrel that shoots 1/4" with a barrel nut and a Bighorn (now Zermatt) that shoots the same with shouldered prefits.

I've done it both ways. Do the shouldered prefits it is way faster, simpler, and easier ESPECIALLY with a Zermatt action if jumping between calibers.

I shoot 223 for practice and if I'm going to go shoot a match I'll swap the bolt head, barrel, and magazine, and shoot 6x47L in the match.

Don't do the barrel nuts.

Last edited:
Do I want the triggertech rem 700 trigger with or without bolt release? And do I want the reg rem 700 triggertech trigger or the rem 700 clone triggertech trigger?
If I want to shoot .223 rem as well as 6.5cm do I need to only swap the barrel, boltface, and mag? Does anyone know where to get a lefthanded trigger?

Do I want the triggertech rem 700 trigger with or without bolt release? And do I want the reg rem 700 triggertech trigger or the rem 700 clone triggertech trigger?
If I want to shoot .223 rem as well as 6.5cm do I need to only swap the barrel, boltface, and mag? Does anyone know where to get a lefthanded trigger?

No need for the bolt release.

Yes just swap, boltface, barrel and mags.

Reactions: JRBullock1987
Matter of choice and much debate, I love my 2 stage triggers others go single stage depends on on your shooting style. If you are a press ( edited from slap it) type shooter the single stage is your cup of vodka, if you stage your shots go 2 stage

Last edited:
Matter of choice and much debate, I love my 2dtage triggers others go single stage depends on on your shooting style. If you are a slap it type the single stage is your cup of vodka, if you stage your shots go 2 stage

I don't "slap" my triggers. I press them. When I press them I don't want take up feel. I want it to break and that is why I use single stage triggers.

Ok thanks. What makes the 6.5cm not need binder plates and why would you need them?

You can use mags with or without the binder plates for the Creedmoor. With the plate you can load to about 2.870” and without it’s around 2.930” or so but don’t remember the exact length. I have and use both.

You can use mags with or without the binder plates for the Creedmoor. With the plate you can load to about 2.870” and without it’s around 2.930” or so but don’t remember the exact length. I have and use both.
I just learned something! When I got my 308 I was told to get them without the plates and that 6.5 Creedmoor ( and all Creedmoor) used the same ones. Thank you and again sorry!!

Cool thanks. Is one better than the other? Is having the extra coal with no binder plate useful or does 6.5cm coal not typically get that long? I've only reloaded 5.56 so idk 6.5s coals

Depends on the bullets you will use. If only 140-147 then no need for the extra length of the No binder plate but if going heavier you might use it.

I just learned something! When I got my 308 I was told to get them without the plates and that 6.5 Creedmoor ( and all Creedmoor) used the same ones. Thank you and again sorry!!

No problem. Yeah I had always used the AI AICS mags with binder plates in my Creedmoors all the way back to 2008 when I started shooting it. Same mags as I used for my .308 and .243 before that. Still have them and use them today 20 years later lol The MDT with no plate work just fine too.

Here is a pic of the No binder plate on the left and binder plate on the right with a factory 140 ELD-M in them.

1FD388A0-91D9-4BA2-A102-047893FBA1FC.jpeg

The only time I’ve needed binder plates was when I had a Remington 700 action from an ADL configuration in an aftermarket chassis. The feed ramp gets in the way and rounds hang up if you don’t run the plate or get the feed ramp notched.

Otherwise for all custom actions, no need for the binder/blinder plate

The only time I’ve needed binder plates was when I had a Remington 700 action from an ADL configuration in an aftermarket chassis. The feed ramp gets in the way and rounds hang up if you don’t run the plate or get the feed ramp notched.

Otherwise for all custom actions, no need for the binder/blinder plate
So for an mdt acc elite chassis you think a bone plate is needed since it's aftermarket?

I also have 2 30cal suppressors. an oss 7.62 hx qd and a q trash panda. Which ones gunna work the best as far as aiding in accuracy? The oss makes a night and day day in accuracy on my ar15s but I know a flow through isnt the best on a bolt gun for sound.

So for an mdt acc elite chassis you think a bone plate is needed since it's aftermarket?

Not if you're using an Origin action or just about any custom action.

But if you're using an actual Remington 700 action from and ADL/BDL config, then you'd either need mags with plates or take the action to a smith and have them notch the feed ramp.

But, since this whole thread is about pre fits for an Origin, I'm assuming you're actually going with an Origin. So you won't need mags with plates.