• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Best way to beef up/ add weight to rifle

^^ Official KRG product. Bolt-in, lead free 0.75lb, just $70...

Alternatively, if you have a mill, or are handy with a set of chisels or a Dremel, you can cut a pocket in wood in the shape you want, and fill it with molten lead. It should be safe enough from children tucked away in the fore-end. If you're still concerned about the lead, you can get a pound of bismuth from Rotometals and it'll be "non toxic," It's just less dense than lead.

Example. Not a KRG, but you get the point:
weight2.jpg

weight1.jpg

they say a picture tells a story to me its just ugly but it functions nice
1617836627308.png

also another good thing so far even in summer time the plates are attached to the barrel shroud have not impeded air flow enough to keep the barrel from cooling . just another option if you wanna add weight to a gun good luck which ever idea you go with .

Yes; but you may also want to be able to remove it, too.

I line the cavity with a plastic barrier, like plastic wrap or a thin plastic bag, and fill that with the shot/resin mixture. As long as the filler does not harden to form a mechanical lock with the cavity, it can be removed.

If you use plumber's putty, the mixture can be rolled like dough inside the barrier/bag, then applied as a sheet.

Another thing, the weight does not need to be lead, you can also use Bismuth. Not cheap, but not toxic, either. I used to use Bismuth shot for ballast in my Grandkids' Pinewood Derby cars.

Greg
Ah, the old pinewood Derby! I lost miserably as a cub Scout, myselft.
Helped my little brother win pack/troop/regionals (with a turtle) years later my son and I recreated the turtle, everyone teased him to the point he has ready to just quit. He also cleaned everyone's clock all the way through regionals. So his next and last event we made a canoe complete with Indian, same result. He had become a somewhat legend. A couple months ago he helped my grandson carry on the tradition. Those simple experiences give so much pride.

+1

The dangers of lead in projectiles to children (or anyone in particular) are truly overexaggerated to the point of hysteria.

So is the "danger" of lead poisoning from cleaning/handling spent cartridge cases.

When I was a kid I used to keep my lead pellets at the ready in my mouth.......probably watched too many muzzle loader movies thinking when the guy bit the patched cartridge he was getting a ball.

I wouldnt recommend keeping pellets or balls in your mouth, especially balls, but ill have you know despite sucking lead I turned out wicked normal.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate