• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best Way to carry lunch during a "field style" match?

sbernier123

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2017
Might seem like a weird question, but as the title states, I'm looking for some suggestions on the best was to pack food and drinks into a normal PRS loadout. I've attended several matches so far, where we did a lot of hiking from stage to stage, and lunch wasn't provided. My Mystery Ranch Kommodo Dragon is basically full of ammo, match gear, and support bags, along with a few first aid supplies. In the past, I've just brought a small coleman hardshell lunch cooler along with me, but its a real PITA to carry around while hiking with a rifle. Snacks and such is really not a problem, but if I have to introduce a cold pack/ice it makes everything difficult to jam in with my other supplies and not crush the sandwhich's etc.

I have been to some matches where we shoot near the vehicles, which makes everything so much easier, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or gear suggestions for field style matches (mammoth, competition dynamics steel safari, etc)? Anybody make a molle attachable cooler pack, i could put on the outside of my backpack? Let me know!

When I hear field match, I think of something like Heatstroke where it's a lot of open terrain, natural obstacles, prone, etc. - Mammoth, Steel Safari, etc are a whole different animal.
Based on what I have seen friends do for matches like Mammoth, the CD matches, etc. you don't seem to get much down time to stop and eat. Food bars (granola, protein bars, etc), jerky, and maybe a small hiking stove with freeze dried meals if there's actually time to stop (usually at required overnight points) seem to be pretty common. Those matches also emphasize traveling as light as possible due to the long movement distances involved, so lightweight rifles, minimal gear, etc.

Uhhhh.....you don't need your lunch chilled or a separate tactical molle lunch pouch in multicam arid in 300D cordura with breakaway tourniquet straps. Throw a bag of jerky, an apple, and a hearty chunk of tough baguette in any old random pocket and carry on. It's a field match...not a 3-course ladies picnic with aparitifs and cucumber sandwiches. Actually most people probably just make do with a couple Cliff bars, trail mix, or whatever. Keep it simple :whistle:

Try to big breakfast and bring snacks peanut butter and jelly or honey sandwich. My friends laugh but it works. Did not eat one match and shot like s&$t

A little different. But on an all day hunt away from the truck I make a couple of sammies in zip locs and whatever else and stuff it all in a one gallon zip lock and drop in my pants or coat cargo pocket.

Might seem like a weird question, but as the title states, I'm looking for some suggestions on the best was to pack food and drinks into a normal PRS loadout. I've attended several matches so far, where we did a lot of hiking from stage to stage, and lunch wasn't provided. My Mystery Ranch Kommodo Dragon is basically full of ammo, match gear, and support bags, along with a few first aid supplies. In the past, I've just brought a small coleman hardshell lunch cooler along with me, but its a real PITA to carry around while hiking with a rifle. Snacks and such is really not a problem, but if I have to introduce a cold pack/ice it makes everything difficult to jam in with my other supplies and not crush the sandwhich's etc.

I have been to some matches where we shoot near the vehicles, which makes everything so much easier, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or gear suggestions for field style matches (mammoth, competition dynamics steel safari, etc)? Anybody make a molle attachable cooler pack, i could put on the outside of my backpack? Let me know!

I find that the hardest thing to pack is my wine...

Hi,

Shit, you should have said something before....
Take your pick...Just snaps right to your belt.

Sincerely,
Theis

Jerky (with floss) , trail mix with dried fruit, gatorade or similar and plenty of water.
It's really terrain and temp dependent. For Steel Safari you need plenty of water and things you can eat fast that aren't too sugar-laden.
For something like the Hide Cup, I made small sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls and stuffed them into a ziplock. Overnight and extreme endurance matches are in a category all to their own...I'd highly suggest working with a sports nutritionist to best gauge your metabolic needs over the course of 24hrs. Then throw in an extra candy bar of your choosing....

Small flat Tupperware and Pringles cans. Perfect for sandwiches and other things that get crushed. Freeze a water bottle and you can drink cold water as it melts or use it to cool other things. Some water bottles fit in the pringles can. So do beer btw in case you need to sneak it into somewhere.

You guys are the least helpful... Possibly EVER! :ROFLMAO:

I remember a Hide where members actually helped each other, claaassic.

Smooch up to the RO with the tastiest looking food when you get to their stage.

Like any prolonged athletic activity. Think of long bike ride/triathlon/ hiking ect...... it’s best to slow.y fuel and hydrate throughout the day as opposed to eating a large traditional lunch. Pick fuel that your body tolerates in heat, that provides sustained balance of protein, electrolytes, and carbs.

Google fueling for bike races and triathlons. Hammer nutrition has worked well for me in bike racing, hiking and all day rifle events.

Reactions: PDXGS
Good lord... don’t any of you bring staff any more?

View attachment 7112653

Best way is to have your servants carry it, of course. Have them set up after the each stage in case you get a little peckish. Chin chin!

Cheers, Sirhr

Oh the memories of conscripted militaries...sigh. :D

Best field camp I ever had was a training exercise with the Spanish Legionnaire's. Tent city was erected, with steel bunkbeds and mattresses and pillows before we arrived. They just used the Spanish conscripts as labor. Except for nights where live fire was planned (and even then sometimes) after 1630, the beer truck (5-ton flat bed with refers bolted to the bed and powered by the truck) opened up for sale. Dinner was followed by invitations to the Legionnaire's NCO hooch, where red wine, a block of cheese and a ham roasting on a spit over a fire was served. It was rough. I mean,do you have any idea how hard it is to let loose with Ma duece the next morning after spending the night drinking wine and eating ham and cheese sandwiches around a camp fire? All while watching tracers bounce off the mountain side during a night time FamFire? Back then the Legionnaire's still had MG42's chambered in .308 (believe it or not), so sitting back in camp, hearing them burn through belts of ammo, while being pleasantly pissed was considered normal (whoda thunk, eh?).

Reactions: 308pirate
I'll throw one or two of these in the water bottle pockets on the sides of my pack. Carry a spoon and plastic bag for trash tied to a loop/molle and you are golden. Granola bars or the peanut butter or cheese crackers for snack type stuff.

They make it in spicy too if you want to relive the experience a few hours later.....

• Haha
Reactions: kingston and Lthrt
A Hide thread about how to carry your sammich through a PR course.... goes off the tracks in hilarious manner. As it should have on the first answer to the OPs question!!!! ?

Fixed it for ya.

Sorry, OP, but this is a tough crowd! Hopefully you got some good suggestions before we started funnin on ya!!

Cheers, Sirhr