• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Best Way to Crimp

firestorm1284

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey fellow Hiders - I have a question for all you benchrest reloaders. I've been reloading for quite some time now, and have been reasonably happy with the accuracy I'm getting from my reloads. However, I've found that approximately 1/10 of my reloaded rounds don't chamber properly - they are either extremely snug, or won't chamber at all. I process my brass, and have even resorted to full length sizing in my bolt gun, thinking my neck sizing wasn't sufficient. All my brass get's trimmed to spec, and I know my bullets are not touching the lands. My only guess as to why I have problems chambering on occasion, is due to insufficient crimp on the case mouth.

I'm looking for any advice/suggestions about how you benchrest shooters crimp, and also any other suggestions about what you think my problem might be if you don't believe it is the crimp.

I appreciate the help in advance!

Re: Best Way to Crimp

I think you're saying that:

1. New factory rounds chamber fine and...

2. You are currently crimping your bullets.

I don't know what cartridge you're shooting but if it's something like a 308 or 30/06, you don't need to crimp and your attempts at crimping are probably what is causing your problem. In addition, I don't think benchrest shooters crimp and I've only found a very few instances where it's of any advantage accuracy wise.

The solution to your problem may really be dependent on caliber. I've had a problem with rounds chambering in my .300 WM till I found this. It seems that for belted magnum calibers most sizing dies don't size far enough down on the case. As for crimping I've always used the Lee FCD and had pretty good results.

The best way to crimp a round is with a separate die designed just for crimping, auto loading rifle rounds I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die, auto loading pistols I use a Redding Taper Crimp die, and if I reloaded for revolvers I would use a dedicated roll crimp die. BR shooters do not crimp there rounds, they run very little neck tension, and most FL size there rounds with custom dies made just for there chamber, .001 shoulder bump, I think the OP is confusing neck tension with crimping. Set up your FL dies with a Headspace Gauge, I perfer Hornady's model with a old fashion dial calipers, decap a fired case and measure, keep screwing your FL die down until the Headspace Gauge reads .001-.0015 less on your sized case, then FL size some fired cases to ensure the FL die settings, if all this is good and rounds still won't chamber look in to switching case lubes, I perfer Imperial Sizing Wax.

OK - I guess I need to clear a few things up. First, the cartridge in question is a .308. It is being loaded into a factory Howa 1500. I have not been crimping, but after I was having problems, I bought a Lee crimping die - thinking the crimp might be the problem. It did not solve the issue.

Factory loads do chamber fine.

I have not measured the headspace. I figured it was OK since it was a factory rifle. Do you mean just getting a set of go/no go gauges to make sure the headspace from the factory is correct?

I currently have my sizing die set up so that the die just barely contacts the shellholder while sizing - doesn't that mean I can't bump the shoulder back any further?

Thanks for all the help guys - I'm sure I'm screwing something up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"..how you benchrest shooters crimp, "

BR shooters don't crimp. </div></div>

Hard core BR shooters might not even size the necks (see:: Fitted cases)

The instructions that come with all FL dies are best used for emergency toilet paper, get a Headspace Gauge, not the one people use for chambering barrels, but one to measure fired cases, if your too cheap to spend the money on the correct tool to set up your FL dies the red neck way will do just fine.

Redneck Method for bolt action rifles onlly
1 remove the firing pin assy
2 remove the ejector
3 FL size a fired case
4 try to chamber the FL sized case, if the bolt will not close you need to screw the die down further, if the bolt closes with no resistence at all you need to unscrew your FL die, you want to barely be able to feel resistence on the bolt half way down, do fine adjustments on the die lock ring, 1/16 to 1/8 at a time.
5 lock your die in place
6 reassemble your weapon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have my sizing die set up so that the die just barely contacts the shellholder while sizing - doesn't that mean I can't bump the shoulder back any further? </div></div>

Its ok to go a little further. Its ok if you feel the press "cam over" a bit at the end of the stroke. I bet another quarter turn down on that sizer die would solve your problem. If you've got other shell holders you might find another thats a little thinner and give you a bit more adjustment, mic 'em and see. Good luck.

okie

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I didn't see the headspace gauge on Midway made by Hornady, but I did order one made by L.E. Wilson. I have their case trimmer - and they seem to make quality products. I will try to tune my dies based on that gauge, and I will hope that solves the problem!

I'm with okiefired on this one. I'd try turning the die down about a quarter turn. You may feel some resistance when the press cams over, but it would most likely solve your problem. One of my die sets contacts the shell holder pretty solidly, but it solved the same problem you're having.