• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

"Big Game" .22 LR From South Africa!

Re: "Big Game" .22 LR From South Africa!

i've really been waiting for hornady to put the vmax they use in 22mag into 22lr, but in the meantime it looks like this manufacturer has already done something simular.

the infantry round looks great also.

i'll try and contact them also and report anything back.

good job finding the site!

As I just replied on RFC, there was a looooong thread about this last year (on RFC). Nobody's ever seen this stuff, and it seems unlikely based on SAAMI specs that you can run jacketed bullets in .22LR.
The cartridges pictured look WAAAYYY over spec, so they would likely not feed through normal magazines/actions.

The bullets look long so they will need fast twist barrels

I say it's either a joke or a scam.

Big Game? Jacketed bullets?
Hell Josh you took that monster squirrel and didn't need no stinking jacketed bullet!
grin.gif

a copy of the email i sent 'em today. to: ([email protected])....

"i'm interested in your .22lr ammo, particularly the polymer tipped and the infantry.

do you have a price list and the quantity per price?

also, how do i go about actually ordering them?

any info you can give would be appreciated."

my thoughts on the ammo: obviouly 22lr shouldn't be the first choice when hunting big game, but i'm more interested in using it for target. the polymer tipped looks "hornadyish", even the infantry model has an "amaxness" about it, probably will shoot very well out of the right barrel. for how long the infanry is, it appears the casing is shorter to allow for magazine fit.

i'll post what their response is, if i get one.

Do they launch on April 1st ?

"Military performance in a Rimfire, Identical to 5.56 Nato" "Bone Crushing Energy"

Come on :)

Out of interest, is anyone seeing the vistor number as anything other than 37,690?

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they launch on April 1st ?

"Military performance in a Rimfire, Identical to 5.56 Nato" "Bone Crushing Energy"

Come on :)

Out of interest, is anyone seeing the vistor number as anything other than 37,690?

TC
</div></div>

37,729 is what I'm seeing.

37,786 for me. That stuff looks interesting, and it would probably be fun to test a batch of it out. Most likely, you'd get better accuracy and results from the commonly available cartridges though. It is shiny though
laugh.gif

I am now in contact with the gent. He saw a dupe of this post on another rimfire board.

I offered to buy some of this ammunition to test and report back on, much in the same way I tested and reported on ammunition modified by D Rock's resizing tool.

I've not yet heard back - I just wrote the reply - but hopefully I'll have a response awaiting me tomorrow morning when I get off work.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've really been waiting for hornady to put the vmax they use in 22mag into 22lr...</div></div>

.22 LR uses a heeled bullet design, so it can't just be loaded with standard .224 dia. bullets. The OD of the loaded brass is nearly the same as the part of the bullet that is exposed. The .22 WMN case has a larger in diameter in order to accomodate standard bullets.

I suppose the vermin point looks worth trying!
Actually interesting that such new innovations isn't appreciated by "gun nuts" like us?

I say go ahead, try them before you let the "hammer down"
smile.gif

UPDATE:

this is the email i got back from the company:

hi top
the ammo will become available once the usa ammo shortages are over as there is no spare production capacity in the world.
as soon as its ready i will keep you updated.the infantry is a great round to shoot as it really is very aerodynamic .
thanks for the email

what?

In part because a heeled jacketed bullet wouldn't slug up to fill the bore, whatever driving band was in front of the case would be so narrow as to give monumentally poor axial stability in the bore, and there's probably not enough power/pressure/volume to drive a jacketed bullet through the bore at case-safe pressures.

Remember .22WMR has a larger diameter case to allow jacketed bullets, LR's don't.

What possible benefit can a jacketed bullet give in a 1000-1250fps cartridge? Dead soft lead hollowpoints just barely expand reliably; you expect a jacketed bullet @ 1000fps to expand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL!
Ask which of the Ammunition makers has picked it up and is going to make tooling for it?

There is NOTHING to be gained from those rounds and the cost would be very high IF they were going to be made.

Time to let this rubbish die and sink as it should.</div></div>

1. it NOW does sound bullshitty, not following up on it any further....

2. if there was such a round, there probably would be much to gain either target or hunting.....
a) definite b.c. advantage with the polymer and infantry
b) definite fragmentation with the polymer (if hornady came out with it, i'd order several bricks from the get go)
c) if combined with consistant powder charge, could possibly be the rimfire "missing link" so to speak, i can imagine the infantry model may have some stabilization problems at distance due to it's apparent length. would offer good penetration though.
d) would probably be pricey, yes, but i never thought i'd pay as much as i do now for QUALITY SPECIALTY rimfire ammo anyway, and if it turns out to even be $20 for 50, still worth it if it's performance was justified, and in comaparison to centerfire, still a deal.

i believe that part of this forum is to pass along info to help each other out, whether we use our rimfires for hunting, target, trainers for our centerfires, or other. if that ammo was produced, it may be to the advantage of many to give it try, so i thank the the original poster for bringing it to our attention.

if this ammo did exist, it wouldn't be rubbish now would it?

it obviously is not presently produced, looks as if it's not going to be anytime soon, so it is going to "die and sink".

nothing ventured nothing gained.

1. it ALWAYS sounded bad. The more you learn the easier it is to pick rubbish like this.

2.a BC gains at .22rf velocity are not the same as for faster cartridges.
b No "definite fragmentation" at these speeds AND you would gain NOTHING by this since each sub particle has little energy. With this little energy you do NOT need surface wounds. You need the bullet to be able to make it to the vitals.
c There is no "missing link" in .22rf ammunition. If you understand the limits of the cartridge you can see any changes HAVE to be within very limited guidlines.
d no WAY would they be worth ANYTHING like this. You ARE limited to current speeds and energy levels. If you want more move to a CF rifle or larger RF.

This product is a waste of time, will continue to be a waste of time and offers nothing to the market. At best it's a way for people to be fooled into buying something because they don't understand the subject. While I find it interesting, I would hate to have guys waste money on it.

There is a lot of really good information available on the .22RF. Invest some time reading it. bc, pressure limitations and all sorts of things would help you understand the cartridge more.

In response to an inquiry I sent:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats interesting.to send ammo from south africa is very difficult as transport and permits are painful.the ammo for usa will be made closer to the usa as this will work out lot cheaper for the consumer.i am waiting to hear if some samples i sent earlier arrived in ohio..but so far its a mistry as to where the stuff is.best to contact me by direct email.send me your adress and if we lucky my guy will fly early again next year and he will take it through and post it once in the usa.regards</div></div>

We'll see.

Josh

I never call a man a liar until he proves he is. I was not privy to the other conversation, and it's no skin off my back if the stuff doesn't exist. I figure either it will show up or it won't. In the latter case I'll concede that it doesn't exist in the US in any form other than (maybe) a patent.

If it <span style="font-style: italic">does</span> exist, I'll test it on water jugs and critters of opportunity and see if it does anything spectacular.

At this point, I am neutral but curious. No strong feelings either way.

Josh

I'm not entirely sure why I do have strong feeling about this, but I clearly do.

I guess when the emporer has no clothes, it shouldn't take a child to point it out.

Sort of like the press releases for the magical Black Rhino pistol ammo a few years ago that went first (only?) to Time, Newsweek, etc claiming phenonmenal power.

I call BS on this. Not a very businesslike reply you got there. It's a prank or hoax or a fraud; it doesn't even quailfy as a pipedream (hash pipe dream, maybe).

I'd be happy for this mountebank to call me out and prove ANY claims. The stuff doesn't exist.

I feel the same.

Here is how it works. You "bling" something up and make it pretty. Talk some crap about it. Then push to make a market. Once you have enough interest you then attempt to show a maker "hey, there are a lot of guys who want this". Maker buys you out.

We need to be 100% clear about the fact that many of the claims made are lies. It's simply not possible to do what is claimed within the limits of the .22rf. EVERY big maker WILL stick within those specs, they have to and I doubt any smaller ones would be stupid enough to try it.

but I'm sure some still think Santa is real
wink.gif

Yes, Virginia, there <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a Santa Claus...

Just not always in the form we expect.

A lot of the rifles out there today can handle "+P" ammunition, and I wonder often what would happen if they pushed a "+P" .22LR round - you know, beyond SAAMI specs. I'm sure it could be done without damage to the modern firearms.

It would also push these rounds to their potential.

Like I said, no strong feelings other than curiosity as to what they might do.

Josh

You won't find anything hotter made than what is available now. It's simply not realistic to suggest so and even if you did how much do you think you could get? 200FPS? 100?
300?

Custom cases and ALL sorts of other problems need to be resolved and at the price they would cost you are looking at least 22 mag costs.

If you or others want to try this (instead of simply listening to those who know about the subject or reading up on it) then get some empty rf cases and see how you go.

Josh, in the case of centerfires it's a matter of designing the gun for the extra pressure. The brass is there to seal the breech, and as long as the breech locking doesn't stretch, the case won't usually blow (primers go first).

Rimfires are pretty much limited to current pressure levels because they're RIMFIRES. You have to be able to crush the rim for ignition. Ask .22 semiauto guys if blown cases from out of battery discharge are a joke. It's why it's easy to make a blowback 5.7FN upper work, but very difficult to get .17HMR blowbacks to work safely. Higher than SAAMI pressures just aren't safe in rimfires, even in bolt action designs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Josh, in the case of centerfires it's a matter of designing the gun for the extra pressure. The brass is there to seal the breech, and as long as the breech locking doesn't stretch, the case won't usually blow (primers go first).

Rimfires are pretty much limited to current pressure levels because they're RIMFIRES. You have to be able to crush the rim for ignition. Ask .22 semiauto guys if blown cases from out of battery discharge are a joke. It's why it's easy to make a blowback 5.7FN upper work, but very difficult to get .17HMR blowbacks to work safely. Higher than SAAMI pressures just aren't safe in rimfires, even in bolt action designs. </div></div>

That makes sense.

I'm used to dealing with pressure in centerfire as I reload, but it didn't even cross my mind to consider the balloon head of the rimfire.

Thanks.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I just replied on RFC, there was a looooong thread about this last year (on RFC). Nobody's ever seen this stuff, and it seems unlikely based on SAAMI specs that you can run jacketed bullets in .22LR.
The cartridges pictured look WAAAYYY over spec, so they would likely not feed through normal magazines/actions.

The bullets look long so they will need fast twist barrels

I say it's either a joke or a scam. </div></div>

I think you Can run jacketed bullets ina 22lr as long as you have thin jackets. I used to run 40 grain Sierra Hornet bullets in a 22 Hornet between 700-1200 fps to duplicate 22lr ballistics and they worked perfectly. I don't think under any circumstances that a 22lr should be used for Big game unless 1) It's the only self defense you have in a bad situation or 2) you are starving and need food that bad.

I have a HOT batch of Power Points here. Hot enough to blow rims often and when we were still allowed semiauto's they would make a nice mess of a friends 10/22, venting down into the mag well. Wakes you up a bit and helps you understand just how little further they can push the round.