Hunting & Fishing Bill's new .260 hunting blaster

BookHound

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
This is a cool little rifle for Bill Walker (APA's office manager).

bwalker_03Large.jpg

I've been toting my heavy (well, heavier than I'd like it for hunting Bambi in the GA forests) .308 blaster for a few years and when Dave finished up this build for his Pops it got me thinking about getting back into something dedicated for hunting.

Do you guys have one "do it all" rifle or do you like lighter-weight rifles specifically for hunting?

This rifle weighs in at exactly 9 pounds with the glass.

More info on it here if interested...
http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/catalog/news.php?article=9

Re: Bill's new .260 hunting blaster

that is a nice rifle

a perfect south-east stand gun

how does the forend look from above with that #4 in it? I have personally run Mcmillan classic's with my 4's but like the looks of the manners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When is the APA action coming out?? </div></div>

Actions are available now. We just don't have them on the website yet. Working to get that done today. Bill ordered this left-hand Rem action before we had that option in the APA Genesis action.

shootone, not a great pic, but I snapped a quick one for ya. Does this show you what you want to see?

IMG_6699Large.jpg

I used one of our new light tan "Shut Up and Shoot!" t-shirts as the backdrop. Just got them in yesterday. I'm excited since I burn up in the hot sun wearing those darker colored shirts. Jered thinks I am a wimp. :p

Oh yeah, speaking of Jered. He shot a 2.5" group at 400 yards with Bill's rifle yesterday! WOW! I was surprised at that. The 100-yard groups were good too but Jered wants to work up some loads to get better performance. You know if he can't easily shoot less than .5-MOA consistently he just isn't happy and the 100-yard, factory ammo groups were just a bit over that. We'll continue to keep folks updated on progress of Bill's project. I can't wait to get a picture of Bill kneeling next to a giant Bambi with this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pics, we need pics of the APA action!! </div></div>

The one I saw looked like this. If any changes have been made I'm sure Jered or Mark will let us know. Hope this helps.

IMG_5956.jpg

I have a 20' sps in a h&s vs stock--no palm swells--with williams steel bm and a lighter monarch scope for a dedicated hunting rig........

Its not super light but compared to other rigs it is and it is a nice balance between stability and portability. I keep a 200 yrd zero on it and it shoots bout 1.5inches at 200 yrds with factory 168 Amax pretty consistantly. Shoulders well for off hand shots as well

The ammo we had for Bill's rifle was junk. I know the rifle has more in it otherwise I wouldn't bother with the load at all. The groups were 5 shots at 400 and just a fuzz over .5 MOA.
Not that that's bad but I want to make him soil his britches when he shoots it.