• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Bipod facing forward or backward?

Monolingual English speakers have no idea.......
I speak most of a couple different languages beyond English and English certainly holds the prize for goofiest rules for things like plurals. I was hoping there was a real answer. The only time I’ve heard “bipods” irl was from the dudes over at modern day sniper…so both marines as far as I know. It shows up around here occasionally.

Reactions: 308pirate
Since we’ve resurrected this thread, why do some of our esteemed colleagues insist on referring to a two-legged rifle support device (singular device) as a “bipods”? Seems to be a USMC quirk although @Lowlight doesn’t do it.

Nobody says they were “practicing off their tripods” but they’ll happily say they were “shooting off bipods from a bench”. Reference post #35 for a real-life example.
Do you not refer to yourself as bipedal? There is only one of you but you have two legs......

Do you not refer to yourself as bipedal? There is only one of you but you have two legs......
I am in fact bipedal. That’s an adjective. I’m asking about the addition of an “s” to a singular noun: “bipod”. As in “trying to sight in a new rifle with bipods off the bench”. Was he using two or more? Why not just add an “s” to all the singular nouns? Trying to sight in a new rifles with bipods off the benches.

• Haha
Reactions: Aftermath and lash
I am in fact bipedal. That’s an adjective. I’m asking about the addition of an “s” to a singular noun: “bipod”. As in “trying to sight in a new rifle with bipods off the bench”. Was he using two or more? Why not just add an “s” to all the singular nouns? Trying to sight in a new rifles with bipods off the benches.
LOL. I didn't notice that. I thought you just meant they shouldn't be called "BI"-pods which made no sense to me. Maybe he was shooting more than one gun that day and all were on bipods..... I shot two rifles this morning, both had a bipod so I was too using bipods this morning. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: lash