• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Bipod recommendations

HTFSIK

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2020
Virginia
I’m in the market for a new bipod and I’m having some serious trouble coming to a decision. I’m currently running a Harris on a RRS arca mount. It’s been good to me, but I’m starting to outgrow its capabilities. I’ve heard good things about atlas, tier one, accu-tac, and MDT. Probably going to go with one of those brands but open to other suggestions. Looking for opinions on all of them, especially with regards to value (is the ckye pod really worth paying $900 for? lol) also what feet are people running

Ckyepod is the most versitile imo. They are 600 for a single pull but you can buy used or wait for black friday sale. The tbac is also nice for a little less money. Those 2 are the best field and improvised shooting bipods out there.

Reactions: Nik H
I started with a Harris + arca clamp. Went to an Atlas CAL next. Then got a Cykepod double pull. If you’re only shooting off even surfaces (concrete or benches) then the CAL is fine. But if you’re shooting in field conditions (uneven terrain, gravel, rocks, reverse slopes) then the Cykepod is the way to go. Only con to the Cykepod is the cost.

I’ve owned the Atlas, TBAC, Accutac, Harris and GGG.

I was about to pull the trigger on the cyke pod but read reviews of people saying they were sloppy/loose and breaking. I backed out for now until I learn more

I currently run 2 Atlas Cal Gen 2. One picatinny and one with RRS SC ARC. Both have hawk hill feet. They’re build like a tank and work best for my application

I don’t see if you’re doing comps or not. I’m not shooting comps like prs with mine. For anything above the Atlas height I run a PVA Comp40/Anvil combo tripod

I’m not saying don’t get a cyke pod. I really want one. This is a thread that made me hit the brakes on my purchase

Last edited:
Reactions: cjviva
I have used Harris, atlas v8, atlas cal, 1st gen ckye, and now tbac. My personal favorite is the tbac so far but I have used a few friends newest gen ckye pods and I’m thinking about picking one up again.

I like the tbac for the no buttons required to deploy the legs and that the legs are spring loaded all the way, even if your extended to the second to last notch, the springs will still push the legs out. I do find the tbac many times to be a little too short and with the extensions a little too long. It’s always been workable but like that the ckye pod adjustment range seems to be right in my sweet spot.

Reactions: Vivacious Stallion
OP, depending on your wants or needs in a bipod, take a look at Elite-Iron. Got one for my ELR rig, liked it so much I picked up another out of the classifieds here on the hide.
What’s the height to the barrel when legs are fully extended on your Elite Iron? I like the design and concept of the bipod. But the range that I shoot at has a steady 4 degree incline.

I’ve owned the Atlas, TBAC, Accutac, Harris and GGG.

I was about to pull the trigger on the cyke pod but read reviews of people saying they were sloppy/loose and breaking. I backed out for now until I learn more

I currently run 2 Atlas Cal Gen 2. One picatinny and one with RRS SC ARC. Both have hawk hill feet. They’re build like a tank and work best for my application

I don’t see if you’re doing comps or not. I’m not shooting comps like prs with mine. For anything above the Atlas height I run a PVA Comp40/Anvil combo tripod

I’m not saying don’t get a cyke pod. I really want one. This is a thread that made me hit the brakes on my purchase

I read that thread and bought one anyway and it is the best I have ever used. If you buy one, buy the Crosstac kit for the Ckye pod as it makes it easier to adjust on the fly and easier to torque it down.

It is as good as the EI. However, it is way more versatile. It can be used in various positions versus a prone-only bipod like the EI. The versatility is unrivaled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhed
I have had Harris and currently have Atlas CAL and Elite Iron. Yeah, I like the EI, but frankly I favor the CAL for ease of adjustment and price. YMMV.

Note: I don't compete so no input on equipment for PRS/NRL situations.

I've been running an Atlas BT65-NC with the RRS ARCA/pic clamp for several years now. It gets the job done consistently and reliably, but earlier this year I got the itch to try a more "modern" bipod.

After dinking briefly with Accu-Tac BR4 and Ckye-Pod PRS single-pull, I decided on the Ckye-Pod if/when I upgrade. Problem is simply the high street price. It's not so much "can I afford it" as "am I willing to spend everyday street price on a device that I could eventually pick up used or on MDT's (in)famous Black Friday sale."

I saw a few YouTube reviews of different bipods. Based on one of those reviews and my brief experience with the Accu-Tac BR4, it does seem to be at a good features-for-price point at a bit over $300. I just didn't like the way it felt. It wasn't "bad." I just didn't personally care for it.

The video review grumped about the Ckye-Pod feeling loose and flimsy. Having my buddy's gen-2 Ckye-Pod in hand , I had to agree with that and said so. Buddy said "put it on your rifle and try it." So I did. And every bit of loose/sloppy feel disappeared. Thing was at least as solid or more so than my Atlas, with FAR more adjustability.

So, the Ckye-Pod is my goal, when I can luck into one at a price with which I'm comfortable. I'm a huge fan of MDT. They have treated me very well numerous times since I got involved in PRS-type shooting, so I have every reason to repay their help to me by paying everyday street price for a Ckye-Pod. But that brand loyalty still hasn't exceeded my cheap-ness.

Reactions: Hickswr and Baron23
I read that thread and bought one anyway and it is the best I have ever used. If you buy one, buy the Crosstac kit for the Ckye pod as it makes it easier to adjust on the fly and easier to torque it down.

It is as good as the EI. However, it is way more versatile. It can be used in various positions versus a prone-only bipod like the EI. The versatility is unrivaled.
Awesome to hear! I’ll keep looking at them. Until I pull the trigger on one my Atlas Cal will get the job done I suppose

Reactions: Nik H
Ckye pod adjustment is great but their cheap hardware buttons bugs me. The support is great, they got me new buttons as soon as I asked but the fact that I need them after only a couple months bugs me.

The cal is still my default recommendation. Harris works fine though, too many good shooters still use it effectively.

Reactions: hafejd30
Ckye pod adjustment is great but their cheap hardware buttons bugs me. The support is great, they got me new buttons as soon as I asked but the fact that I need them after only a couple months bugs me.

The cal is still my default recommendation. Harris works fine though, too many good shooters still use it effectively.
That was one of the complaints that steered me away. I get things break but it seemed fairly common with those. For an $800 bipod guys shouldn’t be breaking parts several times a year in my opinion

Reactions: Zebulon
Atlas is a great general purpose bipod that's quality while not breaking the bank.

TBAC seems like a really nice bipod if you're willing to spend more. The Ckye-pod is a great multi-purpose field oriented bipod, if you need or can use the features. However it's a very expensive bipod if it only gets used at the range.

I ran a Harris on a RRS mount then moved to an AccuTac. AccuTac solid but I ended up not being satisfied with it for PRS. Went to JTAC class and most of the JTAC crew were running Harris bipods with Ckyepods on backup for stages where the Ckyepod features were an advantage. I sold my AccuTac and I am back to the Harris plus I picked up a used Ckyepod to try.

How is Harris holding you back?

Reactions: Entropicitis
The gunwerks elevate bipod is very nice, and even nicer at its price point. I have one gripe, and that is the tension on the cant. It is adjustable like the Atlas, but at least the one I have needs an upgrade to the friction washer. The gunwerks bipod already has a carbon fiber friction washer, but needs a little more tension (which I think could be gained with another cf washer between the leg section and head, but I cant figure out how to disassemble it).

I used it in an NRL Hunter match and actually used the legs extended in a stage. Fully extended it is similar to the ckyepod double pull in height.

This would concern me too. Can you be more specific as to what broke under what circumstances, or point me to descriptions in other posts?

The return on investment I would get from Atlas --> Ckye-Pod upgrade would be fairly minimal at this twilight stage of my competition years... but I'd like to try it, like trying a Rim-X build even though I've gone back pretty much solely to my Vudoo.

You couldn't talk me out of my ckye double. It is a great bipod. Have also used tbac and atlas. Imo ckye>tbac>atlas with much preference tbac over atlas.

I was about to pull the trigger on the cyke pod but read reviews of people saying they were sloppy/loose and breaking.
I have been running Cyke-Pods since Cyke was making them. Still going strong match after match. They were designed for field matches with obstacles, uneven ground and are quick to adjust. No durability issues. Very happy with them. No plans to change. I ran Atlas PSR before they came out.

This would concern me too. Can you be more specific as to what broke under what circumstances, or point me to descriptions in other posts?
The leg spread buttons flare out and when they are no longer straight they get jammed up
IMG_3021.jpeg

It’s that brass to steel connection that’s the weak point but it’s also the load bearing point for the splay

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: DownhillFromHere
I ran a Harris on a RRS mount then moved to an AccuTac. AccuTac solid but I ended up not being satisfied with it for PRS. Went to JTAC class and most of the JTAC crew were running Harris bipods with Ckyepods on backup for stages where the Ckyepod features were an advantage. I sold my AccuTac and I am back to the Harris plus I picked up a used Ckyepod to try.

How is Harris holding you back?
I’ve just found myself in more and more situations recently where either a wider stance, a different leg angle, ability to pan, etc would have benefited me. Plus my dog chewed on the feet of my Harris lol.

And for a little more context, I do about 50% lay down and shoot, and 50% PRS/sniper style positional shooting.

What’s the height to the barrel when legs are fully extended on your Elite Iron? I like the design and concept of the bipod. But the range that I shoot at has a steady 4 degree incline.
11.75 inches, they sell leg extensions which add 2 inches to leg length, not sure how much height that will add. I have a set of the extensions but have never used them. This evening when I have time I'll put them on and see how much they actually add.

I honestly only use it for certain stages or matches. I use TBAC 95% of the time.

MDT squared me away with extra hardware.
Anymore breakages?

I may order a double pull on Monday. Sometimes I want a touch more height for clearing corn/hay fields and the mdt seems like a great all around option

I don’t however enjoy repairing bipods in the field. I’ve done it with a few Harris bipods and haven’t yet with the two Atlas Cals I run.

Anymore breakages?

I may order a double pull on Monday. Sometimes I want a touch more height for clearing corn/hay fields and the mdt seems like a great all around option

I don’t however enjoy repairing bipods in the field. I’ve done it with a few Harris bipods and haven’t yet with the two Atlas Cals I run.
Yes, I've broken my Ckyepod probably 6 or 7 times in the last several years. I broke it stage 1 on day 1 of a 2 day in Texas. Luckily I always carry my TBAC.

I should add, the most common thing to break is the adjustment pins. They shear off very easily.

Yes, I've broken my Ckyepod probably 6 or 7 times in the last several years. I broke it stage 1 on day 1 of a 2 day in Texas. Luckily I always carry my TBAC.

I should add, the most common thing to break is the adjustment pins. They shear off very easily.
Hard pass for me until those get figured out then. Thanks for your feedback

Reactions: NiteQwill
What the hell are you guys doing to break your Ckye Pods? LOL Seriously though. Been running a used one I bought for about a year and a half in centerfire and rimfire matches and not a hiccup. Nothing breaking on it and the most versatile bipod I have used. The Accu-Tac looks interesting and might be the next I try.

What the hell are you guys doing to break your Ckye Pods? LOL Seriously though. Been running a used one I bought for about a year and a half in centerfire and rimfire matches and not a hiccup. Nothing breaking on it and the most versatile bipod I have used. The Accu-Tac looks interesting and might be the next I try.
Most of my PRS matches I've done are field matches, which are certainly harder on gear IMO.

Most of my PRS matches I've done are field matches, which are certainly harder on gear IMO.
I have shot field matches and don't see them much harder on gear but breaking something 6 or 7 times is crazy. I ran Harris back then and never a broken bipod.

I have shot field matches and don't see them much harder on gear but breaking something 6 or 7 times is crazy. I ran Harris back then and never a broken bipod.
The pins are incredibly shitty design. It's the most common thing I've seen broken. So much so that MDT literally has sent me baggies of them.

Trust me, I'm no stranger to Ckyepods....

PXL_20220204_052819875.jpg

• Wow
The pins are incredibly shitty design. It's the most common thing I've seen broken. So much so that MDT literally has sent me baggies of them.

Trust me, I'm no stranger to Ckyepods....

View attachment 8444486

I wonder if it's the longer legs that cause issues? Mine is a PRS short version. Maybe more leverage on those long legs effects the pins more.

Reactions: NiteQwill
I’m in the market for a new bipod and I’m having some serious trouble coming to a decision. I’m currently running a Harris on a RRS arca mount. It’s been good to me, but I’m starting to outgrow its capabilities. I’ve heard good things about atlas, tier one, accu-tac, and MDT. Probably going to go with one of those brands but open to other suggestions. Looking for opinions on all of them, especially with regards to value (is the ckye pod really worth paying $900 for? lol) also what feet are people running
Are you beating Austin Orgain and or Clay Blacketter? You aren’t outgrowing the capabilities of your Harris. It’s okay to want a more expensive bipod “just because” but it won’t make you shoot any better.

Also, I’m with @Rob01, how the fuck are people breaking Ckye pods? I’ve run one in over 200 match days, PRS, comp dynamics, ELR, ETC. and it’s still just fine. How about we not let the gun flop over on the “cant” and slam the angle adjust pins? And yes, they are worth the price.

I wonder if it's the longer legs that cause issues? Mine is a PRS short version. Maybe more leverage on those long legs effects the pins more.
I do think that’s a definite contributing factor plus rifle weight. Using a pint size game changer or fortune cookie I have to have the legs all the way wide most times with the standard. The shorter prs being more vertical would help alleviate the shear.

And all the way wide with a 26lb rifle putting all that weight right where a thinned piece of stainless goes into a little brass bushing just is too much over time.
I also suspect the machined in stop between the legs and the center body meet are ever so slightly too wide which ends up not taking any of that load off of the pins. But if they go too narrow it can’t lock wide. Catch22 but for 500 fuggin bucks you’ll think they could.

Customer service is excellent though.
1719105389051.gif

Reactions: DownhillFromHere
Are you beating Austin Orgain and or Clay Blacketter? You aren’t outgrowing the capabilities of your Harris. It’s okay to want a more expensive bipod “just because” but it won’t make you shoot any better.

Also, I’m with @Rob01, how the fuck are people breaking Ckye pods? I’ve run one in over 200 match days, PRS, comp dynamics, ELR, ETC. and it’s still just fine. How about we not let the gun flop over on the “cant” and slam the angle adjust pins? And yes, they are worth the price.
Don’t know who either of those 2 are, but I used ‘outgrow’ for lack of a better term. Like I said, recently I’ve found myself being restricted in some situations by the Harris. Believe me, I would much rather not have to spend more than Harris money on a bipod, but for what I’m doing these days, the Harris ain’t cutting it.

Don’t know who either of those 2 are, but I used ‘outgrow’ for lack of a better term. Like I said, recently I’ve found myself being restricted in some situations by the Harris. Believe me, I would much rather not have to spend more than Harris money on a bipod, but for what I’m doing these days, the Harris ain’t cutting it.
Someone mentioned competition early in the thread. I assumed we were talking about that. What kind of shooting are you doing wherein you feel underserved by the Harris?

Orgain and Blacketter are among the very best PRS shooters in the world and both use Harris almost exclusively.

The one place I’ve found the Harris missing is on the “3 roof top” stages where you have a pretty extreme left sloped roof and then in the other side a right sloped roof. The ckyepod angle cant adjustment when on a steep slope is definitely nice. I had found the harris w/ rrs mount didn’t let me get all the way vertical but the ckyepod was zero issue.
Here’s how much it can adjust.
IMG_2903.jpeg

Dang near flopped over 90 degrees.

I agree. I have never had an issue with mine and I bought it used from the PX.

The small button issue is solved using the CrossTac kit. Makes it even more rapidly adjustable.

Reactions: Rob01