• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Bipod recommendations

I certainly don't have every model, but I do have just about every brand. I've been shooting EI and Acutac since I was told they're "off brand" junk by Atlas only people right here.

There's no question that the Ckye Pod is the most versatile/most adjustable "normal" bipod (sans the ability to rotate the rifle 360 in the ring, which only the EI has). You have to get really used to it I think. Once you learn how to adjust it well it's easy to see why a lot of people prefer it. I've never actually used it in a comp, but I can easily see the advantages on certain stages. It seems pretty bomb proof to me, but I have not really beaten on it.

Elite Iron isn't just plug and play, you need to get the right parts to set it up, which can be a pain. I think it's significantly the most robust one with all steel, and very little to break or malfunction, but it's pretty heavy. It, like Atlas, has "slop" in its function to facilitate loading the bipod for high recoil rifles. I view this sort of like a shitty Glock DA trigger, it DOES suck, but people get used to it and it really wont effect anything once you do. There are also some features that aren't all that useful in comps, but are very kewl. I feel like the ring makes eliminating cant easier than in any other design. I use the EI on my .300WM, and feel like there is no position or situation it won't work, including silly ones where a "normal" bipod won't work.

The Acutac doesn't have slop designed into the locking system for loading. It's a very toight (like a tiger) lock up on the legs with no movement. I feel that in this respect its more suited to free recoil/mod FR shooting on the low recoil/sub cartridge comp sticks where some play to facilitate loading isn't necessary (or desirable). Also I really like how you just pull on the whole leg to adjust the position, just pull on the feet to extend the legs, and they're spring loaded to retract them fast. It's the fastest, simplest deploying bipod of them all IMO. I just feel like I never drop seconds because there's noting to mess with. There's just nothing going on with it and nothing to learn. Sort of the gross motor of bipods.

There isn't a tier one bipod that I don't "like". My advice would be to ask to finger bang and play with them at a match to see what makes sense to you and find what you like without jumping just on the basis of what other people like (same thing with scopes).

I've used quite a few, but I'm not a gamer, so I think for PRS etc. the most flexible unit is probably the Ckye-pod. I could see a double/triple pull being useful for hunting, normally smaller prone bipods don't work where I hunt, too much tall grass etc. so you almost need to be sitting height often. I also find if I'm in more hilly/rocky terrain I can almost always usually get a nice position with a pack etc. without a bipod. So you really have to look at your use case. I'd buck some of the trend for smaller bipods, in my mind if I'm just using it prone at the range or at the bench, I'd rather have a larger/wider bipod than a small narrow one. If space/weight is not a concern might as well get more stability and often height adjustment. I'm not a big fan of panning, but that highly depends on your use case. My go-to at the range now is usually always a Super Cal or WB5 and I usually always have a V8 in my range bag, but I never use it anymore.

Attachment and your use case matters a lot, do you want something that's only picatinny, or do you need Arca, or both and does the system offer that. If you only use it on one gun it doesn't really matter, if you need to use it across a range of guns it does. Height adjustment matters a lot as well, some of these offer a lot more range of adjustment than others. The AccuTac in particular do not offer much height adjustment in the legs, especially the smaller "4" legs.

I've used Elite Iron, Harris, B&T (Atlas, Cal, Super Cal, 5H), Accutac (FC5, BR4, WB4), CkyePod and they all do things well and not as well as others. To be honest I tend to shoot good groups with them all, obviously the wider and more solid options do a bit better, but you can easily shoot awesome groups with any of them.

The Elite Iron is very solid, but it's not versatile from gun to gun unless you buy a ton of expensive adapters etc. that can easily end up costing more than the bipod itself does. I want to like it, but I rarely find myself taking it to the range. They are pretty heavy compared to the smaller bipods, even the lightweight is 23oz, that's almost twice the weight of something like a B&T V8 Atlas. However it's lighter than a CkyePod double pull by almost 6oz.

B&T are nice, I like the larger SuperCal quite a bit, if I had to pick just one for my use that would probably be it. Certainly the tried and true design, and they have a bit more "flex" in them to take up and "load" the bipod. 15 years ago they were considered "too expensive" by many, now they are the budget option. I was not a huge fan of the 5-H but to be fair at the time I had one I wasn't really using big/wide bipods so if I used it today I might feel different about it.

CkyePod is super flexible, but it just seems "fiddily" to me and I don't usually need all the extra bells and whistles and it just feels like you give up solid/strength for them. Also not a fan of the price, it's not that I can't afford it, it just isn't worth it to me. I'm sure if I shot PRS I'd probably own 3 of them.

AccuTac is my most recent experiment and I do like them quite a bit, but they are not perfect either. They are super solid and I like the leg extension design and the cant lockup is super solid. However the legs have about half the height adjustment than the SuperCal, and if you want panning like the FC-5 it adds a lot of height so the rifle doesn't sit nearly as far into the triangle of the legs as it could. The rifle sits further into the triangle on the WB4 without panning than the FC5 even though the FC5 is significantly wider/larger. I also wish they used the ARMS 17s mount for the ability to add something like the RRS Arca/Picatinny clamp. Their picatinny clamp, while rock solid, is very touchy to adjustment, I end up having to adjust it for just about every rifle I put it on, and I rarely need to adjust the RRS on my SuperCal. I wish they made a FC4 that had a non-panning attachment like the WB series to drop the rifle further into the leg triangle, and had a ARMS 17s mount option.

There are lots of others of course, so many good bipod options have cropped up the last few years, but all the options just means you really have to evaluate your use case and the features of them all to find the best fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: FNG1001