Biscuit Basin in Yellowstone National Park temporarily closed due to hydrothermal explosion

HeavyAssault

Dog-Face One-Horse Pony-Soldier (AVN RGT)
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2011
    Florida
    Here come the big one fellas. Get the gear!!!

Screen Shot 2024-07-23 at 15.39.51.png

Reactions: NoDopes
    not my picture
    1721768336512.png

Geology in real time...super cool.
    Glad that the little kid in the back being abandoned by his parents didn't get scalded or pummeled too badly.

"It's sort of an underappreciated hazard in the Yellowstone region," said Michael Poland, scientist-in-charge with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory and geophysicist with the USGS. He noted that Tuesday's event was not connected to volcanic activity, which is often associated with the park. "People focus on the volcanism there, but there's no sign of any volcanic activity involved in this," he said. "It was simply a geyser system, a hydrothermal system, that experienced changes underground that caused a lot of water to flush the heat." The USGS said an explosion similar to that of today also occurred in Biscuit Basin on May 17, 2009.

m inside the "instant vaporization" zone.
    Me too.

I like how everyone is sort of casually standing around like they are actually out of danger. I am surprised more people don't get messed up by occurrences like that. I have seen some crazy stuff down there when it comes to hot springs, wildlife, etc. Nature can be incredibly unforgiving and some folks clearly have zero clue they aren't in an amusement park.

The most likely volcanic event to happen at Yellowstone. Trapped ground water turns to steam and finds the path of least resistance which is usually up out of the ground. Biscuit Basin, Norris Geyser Basin, and Lake Yellowstone are the most likely areas for this to happen. This was a small explosion, it could have very well been much worse. Hydrothermal explosions typically happen without warning and can get very large. Just look on google earth at the size of Grand Prismatic Spring and some of the craters around the edge of lake Yellowstone for examples. Just some food for thought if you're planning on a trip to Yellowstone. I've been there twice and would like to visit again one day.

i'm surprised that with all the technology and sensors they have, they didn't see a bubble of gas or whatever preceded the event.
    perhaps is was just a crack that finally allowed some water to get somewhere super hot.
    doesn't seem that big in geological terms.

Hurdle the dead, trample the weak.
    You should like totally get t-shirts printed with a still shot of them running and that message! You would make a bunch of money!**

**I was gonna say "make a killing", but that would just be wrong.

I looked it up once... Even as far away as I am the expected ash fall in my area would be like 6 to 8 feet.

Mike
    Depends on how large of an eruption and which direction the wind is blowing. The Yellowstone hotspot has had many non-super eruptions that nobody ever talks about.

i'm surprised that with all the technology and sensors they have, they didn't see a bubble of gas or whatever preceded the event.
    perhaps is was just a crack that finally allowed some water to get somewhere super hot.
    doesn't seem that big in geological terms.
    These things happen suddenly. Even with sensors, there would only be a few seconds warning, if that. Taal Volcano in the Philippines is one of the worlds most monitored volcanos and they still can't predict exactly when it blows off steam. Same with White Island in New Zealand.

^^^^^Past video foretelling of what it will be like when a bigger hydrothermal eruption happens at Yellowstone. Those people in the Yellowstone vid above ran 50', stopped & turned to watch it. That's dumber than petting a buffalo or bear for tiktok cred. Alright kids, today I'm going to teach you about survival of the fittest!