• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Blast from the past.

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    This is an attempt to put a few minds at ease. Since Garrett got here I've been routinely asked, "are you going to be the one building my gun?"

I can appreciate the question. In many ways its flattering. I've come to learn/realize that it's pretty common that when a business grows it inevitably leads to an ever growing displacement between "what was" vs. "what's now."

Perhaps this will help grease the skids a little.

This is a 338 Lapua Magnum Garrett built for himself in 2005. It was a personal project that he did after hours when the two of us were at Nesika. I think its safe to say that anyone who's seen mine/our/shop's present day work there is a definite lineage.

He had this rifle shipped from his home in OH at my request to specifically address this concern from our clients.

It's my effort to try and put some minds at ease that I looked long and hard before hiring someone.

Respectfully,

Chad

Here's the rifle: As I stated, this rifle was built in 2005 making it six years old. It's been used frequently. Obviously Garrett takes care of his stuff. My personal guns are more akin to old whores on a corner. Worn and battered.

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Re: Blast from the past.

Aw I didn't wana talk about the knob install after all. I was just messin' with ya. Looks like a Stiller/PTG put on as an afterthought. I didnt know if it was like that from Nesika or not.
    But then I decided not to ask.
    I dont even know who first made that design. I assumed Stiller but thats always been an assumption

My question is about the painting. What type of paint/coating is it?

We're finding out we dont really like Cerakote for stocks. Its too thin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aw I didn't wana talk about the knob install after all. I was just messin' with ya.

My question is about the painting. What type of paint/coating is it?

We're finding out we dont really like Cerakote for stocks. Its too thin. </div></div>

I have been putting Cerakote down in layers. It's turning out fine for me.... Priming with a solid base color has also helped. Then of course the clear coat is crucial. Keep in mind I am not doing camo. Just solid colors to more or less protect what is under the coating.
    smile.gif

We had to do it in layers too. But a lot of layers. Some stocks just ate up the Cerakote.
    Seems like something thicker would be better.

Has to be a cheaper, thicker coating that would work better for stocks.

I've heard Polane is great. Might have spelled that wrong but anyone using it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We had to do it in layers too. But a lot of layers. Some stocks just ate up the Cerakote.
    Seems like something thicker would be better.

Has to be a cheaper, thicker coating that would work better for stocks.

I've heard Polane is great. Might have spelled that wrong but anyone using it? </div></div>

There was a thread some time back about this.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2524177#Post2524177

Polane is apparently the generic name for Duracoat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Housel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Polane is apparently the generic name for Duracoat.
    </div></div>

Polane is a trademarked name for an industrial polyurethane enamel product produced by Sherwin-Williams, there are a number of Polane variations T, S, B, SP, HS and a number of others depending on the intended application.

Ok so which is the kind people use on stocks.

I thought I heard Manners uses it <span style="text-decoration: underline">but that could totally be wrong</span>

And thats a beautiful rifle. I dont know why anyone would worry whether you or your hired smith made their rifle. It'd still have your name on it.

Looks like another fine rifle from LongRifles, Inc. I believe that was the point.

On the second topic brought up, I have used polane and like it fine for stocks. Its thick won't suck into pores (HS stocks for example).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what paint is it? Polane? </div></div>

Keith,

No secrets here or new earth shattering info. Contact Ryan Engles at Sherwin Williams Paint in KC, MO.

Polane T is the only way to fly for stock paint colors and is what most use. Ryan already has several colors in the computer so custom mixing isnt necessary.

Ryan Engles
    Sherwin Williams
    6701 N Universal
    Kansas City,Mo 64120
    Please send all payments to new address as well.
    Phone = 816-471-1490
    Fax = 816-421-5111
    E-mail = [email protected]

Nice 338 BTW

Chad, you keep showing threads like this one, then the folks on the phone are going to be asking "Are you sure it will be HIM that will be building my rifle....?"

I'm just kidding... the opportunity was there and I jumped at it.
    smile.gif

Good job, and on the HR as well as the PR fronts, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's fine with me too.

Means I get a life (maybe)

Thanks!

C. </div></div>

Sorry Chad it don't work that way.

Working up a new project (not the 52C yet). We will be down on Oct. 20th. We can talk at dinner.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I have used polane and like it fine for stocks. Its thick won't suck into pores (HS stocks for example).
    </div></div>

Thats exactly what I was talkin about.

Thanks!

And thank you William for the info. We're going to be ordering some soon.

I don't care which one of you is building my rifle...........

Lets see some pic's, especially of you putting the adjustable cheek piece in the walnut stock :^))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what paint is it? Polane? </div></div>

Keith,

No secrets here or new earth shattering info. Contact Ryan Engles at Sherwin Williams Paint in KC, MO.

Polane T is the only way to fly for stock paint colors and is what most use. Ryan already has several colors in the computer so custom mixing isnt necessary.

Ryan Engles
    Sherwin Williams
    6701 N Universal
    Kansas City,Mo 64120
    Please send all payments to new address as well.
    Phone = 816-471-1490
    Fax = 816-421-5111
    E-mail = [email protected]

Nice 338 BTW </div></div>

What a guy!!! Don't know if it means anything to you or not Keith, but this is what McMillan also uses on their stocks. When I order a stock, I ask for bondo patch. I do the final coating. This way I can fill and sand any imperfections, plus not worry about hurting a finish during bedding.

Very nice Chad,
    Glad to hear you got a good right hand guy to help you.
    Being in business myself for 23 years,i know what is like not to have good help,and having a good right hand man that knows how to get things done around your shop,without having to baby sit.
    I happen to have a Nesika RBLP magnum action and a MasterClass stock that you will be getting next after my 2 other projects with you are completed.