Bolt Action Recommendation

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I would like to get in some training on shooting techniques at our 50 and 100 yard range so I can shoot more precisely with my AR15 223 and also have something my wife can shoot. She liked shooting the Ruger 10/22 we have, but wants a bolt action.

I am looking at the Savage Mark II TR (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITR/).

Would there be anything else I should consider in this price range that will shoot accurately and be reliable in operation? Any shortcomings with this rifle? I see the CZ452 can do well, but prefer the Savage stock.

Would appreciate any feedback on recommended scope, rings, and bipod. Just curious, are there any 10 round mags made for this gun? I see it comes with a 5 round mag.

Thank you.

- Phil

Re: Bolt Action Recommendation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would there be anything else I should consider in this price range that will shoot accurately and be reliable in operation? Any shortcomings with this rifle? I see the CZ452 can do well, but prefer the Savage stock. </div></div>

Single rifle samples but not in time comparison; on the range the CZ452 Varmint (wood stock) outperformed a Mark II BTV (laminiate thumb hole) across both shooters and match ammo. Triggers apply and both were tweaked, the CZ had a sear bushing mod.

There were other additions like a Annie, Sako quad, 17HMR Savage.

It's a broad generalization and like I said; single rifle comparisons. Given these limitations, limited experience, and two choices, I'd pick the CZ452 over the Savage but the one you linked is new to me.

I have a TR and fully believe it's a waste of money. For the same amount of money, you can have the CZ 452 Varmint, which I believe to be a superior gun for the money. That being said, the reason I say the TR is a waste of money is because you're basically paying for the bolt knob, which IMO is very unimpressive. The stock is a Boyd's tacticool and isn't very strong at all. In fact, it's one of those "you get what you pay for" type products. Weak, but good enough for most people's purposes. The other beef I have with the TR is the barrel flutes which are shallow, and prevent you from cutting the barrel shorter if you wish to do this. I hate the finish on mine too. It just looks bad IMO. If I could do it all over again, I'd either just buy the 452 V or I would buy a MkII-FV and throw it in a stock of my choosing. (Which would be a Prone-Culbertson's from Richard's Microfit, but my needs are different than your I'm sure.)

MkII-FV:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/975/products_id/24563

Tacticool:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-TactiCool-Savage-93-p/600-430.htm

This way will save you a bit of money and you can put that towards better optics or ammo or whatever else you need.

10 round mags:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=994737

Base:
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164826&CAT=3602
OR
http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46218.aspx

My preferred choice of rings (I have a pair of once mounted mediums that i'd consider letting let go for $45 if you're interested) :
http://swfa.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactical-30mm-Rings-P3673.aspx

And last but not least, optic choice. I can't really suggest anything without a budget at the least. But I can say that I have yet to read a bad review on the SWFA SS series of scopes. I have one and love the hell out of it. I got the 10x but am thinking of trading it for a 16x or 20x version as it would be a more ideal magnification for my type of shooting.

Here's a link to the 10x:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

That's the best scope for the money IMHO

Hope this helps,
Dylan

Phil,

I don't know which side of that fence to hang out on. On one hand, I like the reputation that the 452's have built up over the time that they've been in production and their following is incredible amongst rimfire enthusiests. However, I do not like the foreward action screw being on the barrel of most 452's. They shoot fine still, and any decent 'smith can fix the non-problem easy enough, but I just don't like it at all. The 455 has two things going for it in my mind. three if you care about looks, as I feel the action is much better looking than the 452.

Anyways, the 455 uses a system that allows you to change barrels easily and I like that feature alot. I also like the fact that CZ has moved the foreward action screw back to the action, where I feel it belongs. I for one welcome the 455 although I do wish CZ would chose to keep the iron sights found on models like the 452 ultra-lux. Those are very cool sights, but have been replaced with simpler sights more similar to typical open sights found on entry level rifles.

I believe that the 455 is alot of bang for the buck and has enourmous potential in its future. In fact, I think that it would be a fantastic option for a "budget" custom rimfire build. Seeing how Lilja has told a number of us that he will be making drop in barrels for the 455, the future for this action indeed looks good. We'll see how it all pans out though with time. I for one want one. It may just replace my TR if I decide to go that direction.

-Dylan

I will throw in my .02.
I have owned 3 cz rifles and was impressed with the overall quality and performance. I have one beef with cz i just cant get over , For some idiotic reason they decided to reverse the safety.
on every other rifle i know of, lever/button forward is fire and back is safe, this is reversed on cz .

As much as im not a ruger fan, the 77-22 seems to be a good solid rifle in this price range.

My $.02...

I have an old and very basic Savage MKIIF. For practice and training myself and many, many kids, my own Grandchildren included; it does a very good job.

I don't really believe a trainer needs to be a cookie-cutter duplicate of anything else. If anything, demanding all my rifles look and feel the same may be doing me a disservce. IMHO, the better marksman is not limited by specific rifle configurations, but has a palette of marksmanships skills that will adapt to any reasonable platform.

Putting supahdupah features on a .22lr reminds me of that line about gilding the lily

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terror!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...However, I do not like the foreward action screw being on the barrel of most 452's. They shoot fine still...</div></div>

I had my reservations about this as well when I purchased my 452 Varmint. Those reservations hav been nulled and voided from my mind. My 452 will shoot (usually) consistently around 1.25" (some slightly larger) 5-shot groups at 100 yards with decent ammo. Mine prefers Remington Eley Target Rifle though, and wih this ammo, and when I do my part correctly, and wind isn't an issue, it will shoot around or slightly under 1.00" 5-shot groups at 100 yards. I haven't bothered shooting 50 yards with it. Maybe I will sometime or another. Wish I could speak (firsthand) to the Savage Rimfire rifles, but I have never been behind one. Many of the members here seem to have outstanding results with their TR's and the like though. Their experiences and results are wht tore me between a Savage and the CZ I purchased. When the opportunity became available for the Manners T4 for the CZ rimfires, that sealed it for me.

Best of luck with your decision, whatever it may be. The knowledge and experiences here on the 'Hide though have been some of the most informative I've ever found when it comes to improving my 'game'. Read, read and read more. And I dry fire a metric asstonne now with my rimfires when I don't have time for the range. This website is THE knowledge if you ask me.

(Edit: just saw your join date and post count: I'm sure you already know that last part well enough.
grin.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littletoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a company (can't remember name!), but they manufacture a pic-rail for most popular .22's, including the CZ.

Hear they are planning a run for Lefty's too! </div></div>

i believe the company your thinking of is di products

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littletoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a company (can't remember name!), but they manufacture a pic-rail for most popular .22's, including the CZ.

Hear they are planning a run for Lefty's too! </div></div>

www.diproductsinc.com
www.rimfiretechnologies.com
www.egwguns.com/savage/

The Savages are generally pretty good shooting rifles; but I do agree that the TR model isn't worth the extra cost. The bolt knob is nice, but the fluted barrel and stock aren't things that I would have chosen to add as upgrades in the first place. Get a cheaper model Savage and modify it to suit you.

As for which other rifle to get, I don't know. I'm a fan of CZ rifles myself, but Savages usually shoot better.