• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes BORS SYSTEM

Re: BORS SYSTEM

Im not exactly sure how good it works the video on Barretts website looks promising but for the cost of it i'd rather just spend my money on another scope to put on another rifle and just do range math the old school way that doesn't rely on electronics that can and will fail at the worst possible time.

I love my BORS system.I have it on a Leup MK4 and have never seen or used one on a NF.I don't think it would work any differently.They had some issues with it being mounted on the Illuminated reticle models,but I think they got that issue straightened out.Call Barrett.Even if the electronics fail,the scope can still function the "Old school" way.I've connected with every cold bore shot I've taken at ranges up to and past 1k yds.You still have to do your part with windage,but the system takes care of everything else.Range it,dial it in and shoot with confidence.Scopes with the custom dials kinda work in the same way,but they don't compensate for the angle/cant of the rifle,or the temp and barometric pressure either.Thats when the BORS system earns it pay.The one con I have with mine,is that it eats batteries.A week with alot of useage and it's time to change the battery.Yet thats another issue I think they've taken care of with the newer units.
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dartvidar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it to, cant any of you buy this and test it on a NF 5.5-22. </div></div>

Why? People here including myself have posted their likes & dislikes about the BOR, just because we used a Leupold and not NF doesn't matter. It dsn't change your optics quality or click adjustments. It's just a piggy backing elevation only ballistic calculator.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dartvidar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like it to, cant any of you buy this and test it on a NF 5.5-22. </div></div>

Why? People here including myself have posted their likes & dislikes about the BOR, just because we used a Leupold and not NF doesn't matter. It dsn't change your optics quality or click adjustments. It's just a piggy backing elevation only ballistic calculator.
confused.gif
</div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">They had some issues with it being mounted on the Illuminated reticle models,but I think they got that issue straightened out.</span>

Thats why.

I had one of these on a Leupold 4.5-14. Sold it. There were several issues:

1. The potting material they used inside it was poorly applied, and the recoil of my .338 caused it to start going through a battery a day, and ultimately caused it to not turn on.

2. Adds weight. You can carry a whole bunch of tables for the weight gain of the BORS.

3. Batteries. Ultimately this was the killer.

A caveat to #1. Barrett took care of me in a short time frame...I think it was 10 days from mailing to receipt. They also reset the warranty for an additional year. I have had no problems with the company.

FWIW, the BORS is a nice toy, but I have decided that the fewer electronic gadgets I use in my shooting the better: they always seem to attract "Murphy's Law" issues.

Out of my experience and hopefully barret does this in the future, if they could turn it into a TRUE SCOPE MOUNTED PDA meaning you can enter your wind speed and direction and when you do dial in the elevation it would give you a wind correction, THAT WOULD BE THE SHIT! ;)(sorry for the unproffeional language)

After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that were I to get an electronic device, it would probably be an older-model TDS Recon. I don't need an extremely fast computer for the ballistic calculations, and the older ones can be had for a decent price.