• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Both eyes open, Like a Red Dot

FreedomFeens

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2013
I have an SWFA 1-6 HD. I am just getting into shooting and have setup the scope properly with regard to eye relief, parallax, etc. I closed my eyes, laid my head on the stock and opened them to ensure i'm looking through the middle of the scope. I did most things right i think and probably better than most people mounting a scope. However, i noticed that when i close my left eye and look through the scope(i am right eye dominant), the reticle blurs. But when i close both eyes then open both eyes and look at the reticle it is perfectly clear at both long and short range. I understand the SWFA is meant to be used both eyes open on 1x but is it ok to use it both eyes open on 6x? I'm much faster with both eyes open when using 6x and experience a blur-clear-blur effect with just my right eye, this blur-clear-blur is absent with both eyes open.

yeah both eyes are preferred. it cuts down on eye fatigue they say. I notice at least, that my eye that is still open will start to water after a while. Shooting with my non dominant hand I still only use one eye though.

I have heard that if your dominate hand/eye are different, especially when shooting pistols, you can pull your shots to the dominate eye. For instance, if you are shooting right handed and lining up your sights using your right eye, but are left eye dominate, your sight picture will subconsciously pull to the left eye. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but you may want to verify what your dominate eye is since it doesn't always match your dominant hand. To me this would be an indicator that your eye/hand do not match up, especially if the problem only shows up when shooting w/both eyes open. Just a theory though.