• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Breaking in new rifle

wildturkey2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Lovilia , Iowa
Breaking in new rifle 22 Creedmoor today hate breaking in new barrels loaded 15 rounds with 41 grains of h 4350 75 grain edlm not pressure signs so wondering if I can jump to 42 grains or just go up a half a grain to 41.5 .

What was your velocity? What your coal for the rifle. As for breaking it in, I just grab some ammo and shoot. I know that over next hondred or so rounds it will speed up. Then I clean it when I get home and again in a week. If the patches look good it is broken in.

What was your velocity? What your coal for the rifle. As for breaking it in, I just grab some ammo and shoot. I know that over next hondred or so rounds it will speed up. Then I clean it when I get home and again in a week. If the patches look good it is broken in.
Think 2 .158 was OAL from ojive to base of brass using lapua brass 6 cm necked down .

If you want to break it in, the norm would be to shoot “normal” velocity rounds for a bit to “season” the throat. If you start burning the barrel you might really burn out the throat.

How would pushing a hot load with zero rounds on the barrel hurt the throat, more so than the same load at 200rnds on barrel??

How would pushing a hot load with zero rounds on the barrel hurt the throat, more so than the same load at 200rnds on barrel??
Maybe not, just thinking hotter powder burn more pressure, more velocity more heat. Would be interesting to see if there is any “heat treat” metallurgy change during the first few shots.
Personally I don’t baby my new barrels, I don’t hot rod them either. It just seems that moving towards max pressure from the get go is a risk, but just an opinion, not gospel or written in stone.

Reactions: sloporsche
Maybe not, just thinking hotter powder burn more pressure, more velocity more heat. Would be interesting to see if there is any “heat treat” metallurgy change during the first few shots.
Personally I don’t baby my new barrels, I don’t hot rod them either. It just seems that moving towards max pressure from the get go is a risk, but just an opinion, not gospel or written in stone.
I think just don’t shoot to fast let think’s cool down the 22 CM is a barrel burner that’s why I already have another Krieger barrel on hand I didn’t build a corvette to drive it like a ford bronco.

Reactions: sloporsche
I think just don’t shoot to fast let think’s cool down the 22 CM is a barrel burner that’s why I already have another Krieger barrel on hand I didn’t build a corvette to drive it like a ford bronco.
Ok, that’s cool. Starting a new 6 Creedmoor tomorrow and will be pushing it a bit (105@3025). That was why I asked your purpose. Enjoy

What is this "breaking in" you speak of?
looking-around.gif

I don’t, not anymore. Years ago I would “Break in” a barrel using the shoot one clean, shoot 2 clean repeated twice shoot 3 clean repeat 3 times to five shots following the same progression. Never saw a difference except I had burned rounds and got tired of clean. I also shot a new 6ppc barrel and went straight to 5 shot strings at match pressure ( over pressure backed off a couple of tenths). Burned barrels out real quick, but it was fun.

I don’t, not anymore. Years ago I would “Break in” a barrel using the shoot one clean, shoot 2 clean repeated twice shoot 3 clean repeat 3 times to five shots following the same progression. Never saw a difference except I had burned rounds and got tired of clean. I also shot a new 6ppc barrel and went straight to 5 shot strings at match pressure ( over pressure backed off a couple of tenths). Burned barrels out real quick, but it was fun.
Ok sir good information here both sides of the story

Just go shoot. I don't believe in break-in. I do believe getting solvent into a warm bore at the end of a session, pack up, and clean at home. Gives the solvent time to do its' thing.
I'm taking a new CZ457 to the range for the 1st time tomorrow. Don't have a rod and jag that fits right so it'll be a couple days before it gets its' first good cleaning.

For those that change barrels every 1000 rounds or so, break-in is a waste of time. You can clean with aggressive agents and won't see a difference in the life of the barrel.

I shoot .308 and clean after every range session. This barrel is supposed to last me more than 6K accurate rounds. A well run-in throat cleans easy making my life easier for what is a small investment in time and effort at the start.

Reactions: oldrifleman
I used to do the "break in" voodoo. Now my break in procedure is open box take rifle out go shoot and don't look back.

My thought is what is a couple hundred rounds going to do to a barrel that is meant to last for a few thousand rounds.

I would rather lay down some copper to get the barrel up to normal speed than worry about breaking it in.

I used to do the "break in" voodoo. Now my break in procedure is open box take rifle out go shoot and don't look back.

My thought is what is a couple hundred rounds going to do to a barrel that is meant to last for a few thousand rounds.

I would rather lay down some copper to get the barrel up to normal speed than worry about breaking it in.
Ok thanks guys !!! Breaking in a barrel is a pain. Thanks again for information.

Reactions: Steel+Killer