Budget build for LR hunting

Triggertoe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2024
South Carolina
Wanting to do a budget build for long range hunting (=-<700yards). I know “buy once cry once” is golden and budget and build is an oxymoron but I would like to have a little more knowledge of what I like and don't like before I have a complete custom built. Open to suggestions and ideas on what some of you guys have done? I’ve looked at the Zermatt Origin actions with a shouldered pre-fit and also considered building off a Tikka action if I can find a donor rifle. I hand load so I’m considering the 7SAUM, 7PRC, or 6.8 Western. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Any of those cartridges would work great. I have a 300 wsm that I consider my all around rifle with max range around that 700 mark. I built it off a tikka, but if you don’t have a tikka already, I’d do an origin. I would also recommend going and finding some stocks and actions and playing with them before you buy

"Budget" would be a stock Tikka, not that there's anything wrong or lacking in that.

Tikka action, Proof carbon prefit barrel, pure precision altitude stock, is a pretty easy 'build.' No fussing with bedding, trigger, mag system, etc. In the middle of my 4th one.