Rifle Scopes Budget For $300.--$400. Rifle Scope

Re: Budget For $300.--$400. Rifle Scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's a "military dot"? </div></div>
+1

for that price range the only thing that comes to mind is maybe a SS or a Falcon menace 4-14, or perhaps one of the Nikon buckmasters, they are also a good little scope. stay away from Barska, ewe
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: checkmate1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For mid-range target shooting, would like to have military dot. Looking at Leupold, Barska, Sightron and Nikon. 30-06 SPRG
Would appreciate recommendations. Thnx, ba </div></div>

Do you want a variable or is a fixed power scope alright? If you are cool with fixed power then get this:

SWFA SS10x42 Tactical Riflescope

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx

Best $300 you can spend for your purposes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure how you define mid range or target. If you mean steel targets out to 600 yards the 10X Super Sniper is great. If you mean shooting small groups at paper targets out to 600 yards this one is hard to beat. http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13285.aspx </div></div>

This.

Both excellent suggestions at your price point.

The Wotac scopes fall into this price range. For the money, they are hard to beat.
www.sightwonders.com/

I attached the website above. Matt is a great person to deal with also. Another company carrying these scopes is "swfa.com".

I put a 4-14 on a new 5R and couldn't be happier.

Paul

I have spent most of my money on such optics........I have a few higher class ones, but I have too many guns to spring for high end glass on them all.....

the absolute best in my opinion for targets and range work is the buckmaster 4-14. MIl-dot, side forcus, decent turrets. Repeatable, excellent clarity. The only downsides are the fov is a bit small at high magnification and their isn't a ton of elevation travel---I can get my 22lr trainer to 250yrds with a 20moa base and 50yrd zero but that is about max. For me, these issues don't matter on my range/paper punching/shorter distance rigs so I have several of the buckmasters.

here's my list

weaver targets or grand slams
nikon buckmaster (my fav)
super sniper 10x
bushnell 10x
any of bushnell 4200 line

If the OP is shooting targets - especially paper - at known distances, then IMO the mil-dot reticle isn't necessary. The identical Vortex Viper 6.5~20x50 scope with a fine CH & target dot reticle is now being sold for $280 as opposed to $400 for the mil-dot. The target dot is being discontinued and is a fabulous value.

If wanting a fixed scope.... WOTAC 10x mil/mil. If variable...WOTAC 4-14 or falcon FFP mil/mil. I would prefer WOTAC cause Matt has great CS and his products are top notch but he also sells falcon as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also look at the weaver 3-10 grand slam tactical 3-10 </div></div>

...I was wondering why no one mentioned that scope...

...a couple of people said it tracked perfectly for them, a real concern with cheap scopes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also look at the weaver 3-10 grand slam tactical 3-10 </div></div>

...I was wondering why no one mentioned that scope...

...a couple of people said it tracked perfectly for them, a real concern with cheap scopes...</div></div>
No kidding. I have heard stellar reviews about repeatability and reliability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also look at the weaver 3-10 grand slam tactical 3-10</div></div>
+1
Weaver optics are highly under-rated IMO.

For under $200 you can get a Bushnell fixed 10X with Mil Dot. IMO they have to be the best scope for the money. The Super Sniper scopes are a great value as well.

I certainly understand that every rifle can't have a $1000 to $2000 scope but whenever I buy a budget scope I always kick myself later. Having said that I only own a handful of "high-end" scopes and if a fixed power scope fits my needs I go with the Bushnell 10X mil-dot or the Super Sniper.