• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Budget hunting scope cq and small game

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hi gents,
I have a CZ455 in 22lr which I want to use for pest control.

I´m looking for a scope which must have illumination,
not to heavy or to big,
being able to perform from 10 to approx. 70yds.
Lowest magnification not over 2x.
Parallax would be a plus, for using it at 10yds.
Budget would be at 600 bucks.

What would you recommend?

I'd take a Vortex over a Bushnell. The Crossfire II is a solid optic for the price. Of course whenever you're buying an optic in that range expect to have some issues with quality.

So, I´ve narrowed it down.

It will be a
2-/2.5-ish to -10/-12ish by x42/x44ish scope.

Used or new:

Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42mm
Bushnell Engage 2.5-10x44
Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10x44 FFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated ACSS Griffin MIL Reticle
Minox RS-4 2.5-10x42

Are there any which I forgot?

I've owned both the SS 3-9x42mm and I currently own the Athlon 2-12x42mm that's mounted on a bolt action 20" 6.5 Creedmoor..

The SS 3-9 is a very nice scope, and very rugged, but the Athlon has a much better feature set, with illumination and Parallax adjustment, and a better reticle for 2x use IMHO.

The PA 2.5-10 was dismissed from my consideration due to a poor reticle (for any type of precision shooting, but fine for CQB), poor eye relief, and low field of view (because it's a 2.5x and not a 2x).

I also own a Trijicon 2-10x36mm, which does have illumination, but no Parallax Adjustment. It's very much like the SS 3-9 in that it's fast to get on target, no fiddling with knobs, so it's perfect for an SPR/ DMR like a 18" AR15, but not so perfect for a multi-use bolt action for targets near and far, or small.