• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Build or Buy? Chasing a sub 7.5lb 16"-18" .308

Rprecision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Progressive Hell, CO
So, I have been watching from the sidelines for several years on a large frame AR. There seems to be a ever growing list of proprietary guns and some in between. DPMS, DPMS G2, Armalite, Savage, LaRue, etc. Then all the receivers out there to build from...........

I'm trying to keep it simple: Naked gun = 7.5lbs, 16" - 18", .308, SR25 pattern mags, ambi charge handle, safety, geissle SSA, nice long slender m-lock fore end, adjustable gas block for running suppressed, .75 - 1 MOA with 175 FGMM. Would be nice for better but I'm realistic.

budget $1500- 2000

So pour some wisdom on me!

Buy? Build? Should I avoid proprietary stuff? I can find most of what I want in factory guns with exceptions, I'm concerned that if it won't shoot I'm going to really struggle to get a good barrel for the proprietary stuff. Adding a good adjustable block could be interesting.

This is all new to me, thanks

Your budget might be a little light to get both sub-moa in that light of a large frame. A lightweight receiver set like the 2A and all the little TI pieces will eat it up before you make it to the barrel.

I'm in the market for a similar setup. Larue PredatOBR is appealing to me the most for a factory rifle. As far as building one, I am really hoping the DPMS G2 pattern catches on in the aftermarket, specifically with a receiver set from 2A.

I agree with tsu45 to get an accurate large frame AR the budget seems to be already tight and then add ambi controls and make it lightweight will definitely make it cost a bit more. As an example of an guaranteed accurate AR rifle using the Larue OBR in 16" .223 is 7.5 lbs and the .308 version in 16" is 9.5 pounds.

MY Christensen Arms 18" 308 weighs about 7.2 pounds, I got it for just under $2400, and I was happy to find that deal. The 2A arms set would be they way to go, but the set plus a carbon fiber barrel and BCG will put you at the low end of your budget.
SLR Helix is a great lightweight hand guard and I used one on a KAC receiver set build build for my dad, and that felt nice and light, though I don't have an exact weight. We used a JP barrel on that one, turned out nice.
The hand guard and barrel are the spots where you can save some weight. Always a tradeoff.
The S&W M&P 10 might be really close to what you are looking for.

Scott

Actually the M&P10 is a rifle that fits well into your budget and discription. I have one and installed an slr adjustable gas block and an ssae trigger. It shoots sub moa without even putting on a free float handgaurd. You need to be careful to not get the pencil barrel too hot. I believe accuracy can suffer if you overheat it. There are guys that have been able to buy aftermarket barrels for theirs so barrel replacement is now an option, but limited. Some parts are proprietary so do the research to find out if it is suitable for you.

Well this might be to rich for your blood but I have a JP Enterprise LRP-07 Lightweight .308 and it weighs 6.7lbs empty. This is a high end rifle that is hard to beat if you have the cash.

Actually the M&P10 is a rifle that fits well into your budget and discription. I have one and installed an slr adjustable gas block and an ssae trigger. It shoots sub moa without even putting on a free float handgaurd. You need to be careful to not get the pencil barrel too hot. I believe accuracy can suffer if you overheat it. There are guys that have been able to buy aftermarket barrels for theirs so barrel replacement is now an option, but limited. Some parts are proprietary so do the research to find out if it is suitable for you.

2nd. I'm going to add some 2A titanium parts to mine and a couple of Lancer, carbon fiber parts, stock & forend to mine and see where it takes me?

Savage rifles look promising?

Last edited:
Always build for price/performance. In terms of parts the xanthos + bhw/cra light barrel + v7 titanium bcg and then just normal lighter parts will probably get you to your weight goal.

I wanted the same type of set up a couple years ago. 4 grand and 2 guns later I came to the conclusion that I should just stick with bolt buns. I have had very poor luck with the AR 10 platform. Kind of like a helicopter, not as many parts but all trying to accomplish the same thing. To tear itself apart. Even the expensive name brand guns jam. I may have just labeled myself as dumb ass but once again, I had very disappointing results. Do the research.

3rd one here to approve of the M&P10.
18" barrel, 7 3/4lb, ambi controls, <$1300, & shoots sub-moa with most decent >165gr ammo I've fed mine [and this is with the factory non-free-floated hand-guard].
I can't say enough good things about mine.

https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/022188150308?upc_only=1