Building comp rifle

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
As the title states, I want to get into a competition gas gun. Have been running PRS bolt gun for years, and want to try something new. I have a pretty extensive knowledge base on “duty grade” ar15s, and have been to multiple armorers courses and worked on a lot of higher end “duty” guns, but the competition side is newer to me. I’d like to go in the direction of 6arc.

I’m looking at a vltor MUR, FCD URF, or generic thermal fit upper such as a bcm, solgw, etc. Do the enhanced uppers really make any tangible difference?

As far as lowers, I’ve heard great things about Aeros M4E1. But am not opposed to a more generic aero gen 2 milspec, or something a little nicer like a geissele mil spec.

I’d like to stick to an arca based rail, preferable full length.

Will likely go with a Geiselle trigger or mbt2.

I’ve always run A5 buffers, but the JP has me intrigued.

And as far as barrels, I’d like to be in that 20-22” inch range.

I will be topping with a mk5hd 3-18.

Any suggestions from guys with experience?

Makes 2 of us. Been doing some research on this very thing. I’m leaning toward a 22-24 arc barrel. Seems that a thermo-fit receiver is the way to go from my reading. A +1 or +2 barrel is recommended and a 16.5” or longer handguard will be able to cover gas block.trigger wise I may go with a TT. Not sure about their gas gun triggers but thats all I use in my bolt guns. Be interested in the build you end up with.

I shoot alot of Ar's not really long range much but I have used TT triggers in ar's and they are nice but Ive also used a few different variations from Geissele and IMHO they are better and provide a more tactical feel. I run TT in my bolt guns and like them alot but just not the same fell Im after in an Ar. Vltor uppers are nice but not thermal fit. Thermal fit is always an added benefit but if you really like one upper over the other I wouldn't let the thermal fit be the deciding factor. That's about all I can input here that would be relevant. Good luck with the build out.

As the title states, I want to get into a competition gas gun. Have been running PRS bolt gun for years, and want to try something new. I have a pretty extensive knowledge base on “duty grade” ar15s, and have been to multiple armorers courses and worked on a lot of higher end “duty” guns, but the competition side is newer to me. I’d like to go in the direction of 6arc.

I’m looking at a vltor MUR, FCD URF, or generic thermal fit upper such as a bcm, solgw, etc. Do the enhanced uppers really make any tangible difference?

As far as lowers, I’ve heard great things about Aeros M4E1. But am not opposed to a more generic aero gen 2 milspec, or something a little nicer like a geissele mil spec.

I’d like to stick to an arca based rail, preferable full length.

Will likely go with a Geiselle trigger or mbt2.

I’ve always run A5 buffers, but the JP has me intrigued.

And as far as barrels, I’d like to be in that 20-22” inch range.

I will be topping with a mk5hd 3-18.

I've been shooting gas gun in PRS for several years, the last couple with 6 ARC and 6 GT.

My input on 6 ARC would be to use a 22" barrel since you'll get around 2700 fps with 105-107 grain bullets when using Lever or factory ammo. My rifle is consistently 1/2" to 5/8" 100 yard groups with 107 SMK handloads. I use the Aero enhanced upper receiver and either the Aero handguard with a bolt on arca or the Sgt of Arms arca handguard.

If you'd consider a large frame gasser, the 6 GT yields an additional 150 fps over ARC using the same 107 smk out of a 22" barrel. Recoil is nearly identical between the AR and GT. The large frame gun is about 2 pounds heavier than the small frame.

Aero makes good lowers as do many others. Triggers are a personal preference. I like the TT diamond. Buffers are similar.....pick what works for you. I used A5 with flat wire springs in my small frame and a Kynshot hydraulic buffer with a flat spring in the large frame.

I've been shooting gas gun in PRS for several years, the last couple with 6 ARC and 6 GT.

My input on 6 ARC would be to use a 22" barrel since you'll get around 2700 fps with 105-107 grain bullets when using Lever or factory ammo. My rifle is consistently 1/2" to 5/8" 100 yard groups with 107 SMK handloads. I use the Aero enhanced upper receiver and either the Aero handguard with a bolt on arca or the Sgt of Arms arca handguard.

If you'd consider a large frame gasser, the 6 GT yields an additional 150 fps over ARC using the same 107 smk out of a 22" barrel. Recoil is nearly identical between the AR and GT. The large frame gun is about 2 pounds heavier than the small frame.

Aero makes good lowers as do many others. Triggers are a personal preference. I like the TT diamond. Buffers are similar.....pick what works for you. I used A5 with flat wire springs in my small frame and a Kynshot hydraulic buffer with a flat spring in the large frame.
What brand barrel did you run in your ARC?

There’s a thread on it here.

From my limited match experience, one thing I think is beneficial is ambi controls on the lower. Being able to release, or lock the bolt back without taking your firing hand off the grip certainly reduces fiddle factor before and after the stages.

Reactions: loclass