• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Burning Of Escondido 'Bomb Factory' House

socalsheepdog

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Socal
Some crazy news in my neck of the woods. Is this the best way to handle this, just burn the house down.

http://www.10news.com/news/26033580/detail.html

Kind of reminds me of that old video of the city who blew up the beached whale.

Should be interesting.
<span style="font-style: italic">
SAN DIEGO -- Originally set for Wednesday, 10News has learned the house of a man accused of making bombs and storing large amounts of explosives at his rented Escondido home is now scheduled to be burned at 9 a.m on Thursday as long as weather conditions permit.

Tuesday The San Diego County Board of Supervisors will vote on whether to ratify a declaration of a local emergency regarding the rented Escondido home where a man was accused of making bombs and storing large amounts of explosives.

The emergency declaration is necessary to allow authorities to burn down the house this week, determined to be the only way to render the site safe.</span>

Re: Burning Of Escondido 'Bomb Factory' House

The discovery came when gardener Mario Garcia, 49, accidentally stepped on some of the explosives and triggered a backyard blast at the home. Garcia is recovering from injuries to his left eye, torso and an arm.

They guy robbed a bunch of banks also.

Hopefully the fire spreads to South Central L.A., East L.A., and Detroit, Harlem, New Orleans, and South Chicago.

I can't help but have this tune playing in my head...
grin.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8PcKlI28wLE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8PcKlI28wLE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully the fire spreads to South Central L.A., East L.A., and Detroit, Harlem, New Orleans, and South Chicago.

</div></div>
Don't forget Berkly, Seattle and Washington D.C.

About 30 mi north. Wonder if one of the affiliates in SD will show the burn live. I would like to see it.

Jakubec's attorney is trying to stop the burn citing that they are going to burn evidence his client needs to mount a defense. Interesting point.

Edit. I was just looking on Zillow and saw that this house, 1954 Via Scott is the most expensive house on the block. Doesn't make sense to me. It's valued at 496K according to Zillow and everything around it is right around 300K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About 30 mi north. Wonder if one of the affiliates in SD will show the burn live. I would like to see it.

Jakubec's attorney is trying to stop the burn citing that they are going to burn evidence his client needs to mount a defense. Interesting point.

Edit. I was just looking on Zillow and saw that this house, 1954 Via Scott is the most expensive house on the block. Doesn't make sense to me. It's valued at 496K according to Zillow and everything around it is right around 300K. </div></div>

Well Escon-ghetto has earned its nickname. Cant pay attention to list prices around SD, home values are still inflated even after the market crash. You couldnt pay me to live in Esco.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is this the best way to handle this, just burn the house down.</div></div>

Yeap, burning explosives is the best and safest way to get rid of it. I've had occasions where someone would buy and house and find dynamite in the shed or garage. What happens with dynamite is the nitro leaks out. Often when it gets old its perfectly harmless. BUT, the ground it's setting on is highly explosive. Only safe way is to burn it. I even made mud balls from the dirt explosives were setting on, capped it and it when of "like a stick of dynamite".

I was a senior bomb tec. I wouldn't let one of my guys remove that stuff just on the off chance you might have property damage.

Burn it, if it goes HI ORDER, so what, at least no one gets hurt.

I'm not there, only know the little bit I've read, I'd yield to the sr bomb tec on scene, he's the one who is responsible for his team and anyone else who might be in dangered if its moved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully the fire spreads to South Central L.A., East L.A., and Detroit, Harlem, New Orleans, and South Chicago.

</div></div>
Hey easy on the south side of Chicago . Some of us still need a job.

Better get there soon it is going up tomorrow. The judge denied the motion to save it.
tried to use google street view but the camera car didn't go down the street.

I had the google car come into the dealership the other day. Funny looking thing with a bunch of HD cameras on a ball. I will try to get a pic of the inside.

Talked with the guy for a while. He said he regularly gets people that stop him in the middle of the street so he can drive by again after they cover boats, cars, etc. I figured it was either for IRS or for theft reduction. Or both?

11-24-10_0936.jpg

11-24-10_0935.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is this the best way to handle this, just burn the house down.</div></div>

Yeap, burning explosives is the best and safest way to get rid of it. I've had occasions where someone would buy and house and find dynamite in the shed or garage. What happens with dynamite is the nitro leaks out. Often when it gets old its perfectly harmless. BUT, the ground it's setting on is highly explosive. Only safe way is to burn it. I even made mud balls from the dirt explosives were setting on, capped it and it when of "like a stick of dynamite".

I was a senior bomb tec. I wouldn't let one of my guys remove that stuff just on the off chance you might have property damage.

Burn it, if it goes HI ORDER, so what, at least no one gets hurt.

I'm not there, only know the little bit I've read, I'd yield to the sr bomb tec on scene, he's the one who is responsible for his team and anyone else who might be in dangered if its moved.

</div></div>

Kraig is correct. Depending on what type of explosives he was manufacturing they could be very touch sensitive. Feather sensitive in some cases. There are ways to try and desensitize explosives but it is not worth risking someones life over. I wish I was back in SD to watch this go up but coudnt get a ticket in time from Afgan International to San Diego International.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talked with the guy for a while. He said he regularly gets people that stop him in the middle of the street so he can drive by again after they cover boats, cars, etc. I figured it was either for IRS or for theft reduction. Or both?

11-24-10_0936.jpg

11-24-10_0935.jpg
</div></div>

Well what did the guys say? Does he try to help out with people or does he notcare and just take the photos?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boom2336</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is this the best way to handle this, just burn the house down.</div></div>
</div></div>

Kraig is correct. Depending on what type of explosives he was manufacturing they could be very touch sensitive. Feather sensitive in some cases. There are ways to try and desensitize explosives but it is not worth risking someones life over. I wish I was back in SD to watch this go up but coudnt get a ticket in time from Afgan International to San Diego International.</div></div>
He had HMDT very touch sensitive and PETN also pretty sensitive stuff. Who knows what else he made. They could not send it the bomb robot because the house was like one of the ones on "Hoarders buried alive". So that was a no go. Watched it on TV and could see the smoke from the roof of the dealership. That sucker went up fast and hot just like they wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boom2336</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talked with the guy for a while. He said he regularly gets people that stop him in the middle of the street so he can drive by again after they cover boats, cars, etc. I figured it was either for IRS or for theft reduction. Or both?

11-24-10_0936.jpg

11-24-10_0935.jpg
</div></div>

Well what did the guys say? Does he try to help out with people or does he notcare and just take the photos?</div></div>
He said he will usually do a second pass. He was a real nice guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They could not send it the bomb robot because the house was like one of the ones on "Hoarders buried alive". So that was a no go.</div></div>

Plus, why take the chance of screwing up an expensive robot when you know the house is FUBAR. Burn baby burn!

Well, in my original post I stated that this seemed like the exploding whale story but I have to say, they did a great job, unlike the whale.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/79tl2H3QzT0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/79tl2H3QzT0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eIlKxaEIFDk"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eIlKxaEIFDk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

lady here at work today says she knows this guy...biblically apparently, and that he was "a real pleasant fellow with a crazy sense of humor" back in the 90's. she cant believe hed ever rob a bank tho.