Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20x60-80

super jim

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2011
I am researching to purchase my first spotting scope. shooting .308 at 100 - 400 yards. The Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20x60-80 45 degree looks to be a good match of quality and price. list $730 available for around $341.

Any reviews of this scope or recommended equivalent. Not looking to spend more than $350.00

Re: Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 20x60-80

I too am looking for something very similar to you. I looked through the spotter mentioned at the local Bushnell dealer today. It looked really clear at distance... the problem is its very difficult to tell what you could see at the range. I really liked the focus knob as there is a course and fine adjustment, which was really nice at 60x.
For me it is between this scope and the Konus 20-60x with 100mm Objective. That scope gets great reviews but I would hope to hear from someone who has looked through both.

I had the liittle brother, the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 12-36x50mm 45 degree which I used for 100 - 300 yards.

First off I will say that for the money you get alot of scope. While It was my first spotter as well, I had recreational shooters with lesser scopes (sub 200 dollars) mention it looked better than theirs. The package includes the scope, non-removable eyepiece, soft case, and even a tabletop tripod.

My impressions on its performance is only adequate. The tripod was not very stable. Built out of plastic it would shake even in light wind. At mid to higher magnification it was quite a bit darker, most noticably on cloudy days or when the sun was setting. The two level focus knobs were nice in fine tuning, but could never achieve what you may consider "impressively sharp". The eye relief was not long enough to view with shooting glasses on. There was also a piece of trapped material that from time to time appeared in the view. A nice smack would get it stuck to a side to become invisible again for a few months. Due to the 36x magnification maximum, had it been better image quality, would probably have sufficed even for 300 yard shooting but I decided to upgrade.

After about a year I ended up trading it back to SWFA for about 75% of what i had paid to upgrade to a Pentax PF-65ED with a fixed 39x WX eyepiece . I researched quite a bit, wanted something in the 60-70mm area to improve the brightness but not be too big. This scope is amazing. Much wider field of view, crisp and sharp image from better glass and focus, longer eye relief to accomodate glasses. I even do a little bit of stargazing with it now and bring it along on some trips to national parks. The views are stunning.

Overall the Bushnell is a good scope for the price and should beat most others in its range. I am not trying to knock it especially if price is the limiting factor, however from my experiences, paying the extra money to upgrade to the Pentax was definitely worth it.

Well, just came home and read the above review.. I went to the local Bushnell outlet (sell "new" as well) with the intent of buying the Legend. They had sold out and only had the behind the glass unit left. After inspection, it had something that looked like a black spec inside the scope. They said they would have to order one and they were backordered until next month. With the above review on a similar model and the one I looked at today, it has kinda turned me off a bit on the Bushnell...

The original poster seems to be limited in funds. If you aren't as restricted, take a look at the Pentax if you have a chance. I'd be surprised if you did not like it. Generally with spotting scopes, like rifle scopes, there are so many features its easy to point out stuff which the manufacturer overlooked or did not design well. I find with the Pentax they have most of their bases covered and I genuinely have little to gripe at.

I woulld expect this at maybe Leica or Swarovski price range, but it is only around $400-500 for the 65mm without eyepiece, it is much less than the big names. They also have a larger 80mm model. Almost all the reviews I saw online have been very favorable as well. If your budget can afford it, take a look.

I was researching spotters and ended up choosing an 80mm Celestron Regal. They have a 65mm as well. It is not a 'tactical' by many means, but I found the Regal’s offered a lot for the money. Reviews consistently rate them high, with many commenting their glass is competitive with $1000 models. Also they have removable standard threaded eye pieces, so they are easily upgradable or modified to fit different needs.

I spend a lot of time on Bird Forums when I was researching spotting scopes.