• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Bushnell XRS 4.5x30 XRS and Rem 700 with 20 MOA base..

infidelus americanus

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2014
Hey guys, i have searched the site and couldn't find a thread on this so i apologize if this has been discussed.. I have a 5r Milspec 700 with millet pic base with 20moa built in. i just bought the above scope and when bore sighting it the scope is bottoming out and i am still a little over 6mil high and out of adjustment. i have checked the zero stop and made sure that wasn't the issue and i am out of ideas.. i would have thought with a 34mm tube i would have plenty of adjustment as this setup was used with my 30mm Leupold mk4 for sometime. i have been all over bushnell documentation and can't find anything to help me. I am hoping i am missing something simple here... ideas?? :confused:

thanks in advance for any advice guys!!

Wes

My XRS did the same thing when new. I was able to reset the zero stop and it worked nicely, for a while. After maybe four or five outings since resetting, the elevation knob felt a little lose and it no longer turned smoothly. It turns out the zero stop set screws had slipped and I lost some elevation adjustment (would not come back down to zero). I have reset it again and worked fine the rest of that day. The instructions warn against over tightening the set screws, but I suspect I may not have had them tight enough. Strangely, the set screws felt tight when I went to loosen them during the reset procedure. Still do not know why brand new scopes are coming with the zero stop adjusted so you don't get max travel. That's odd. Love the glass and G2 reticle. Give us an update after you use it a couple times.

bzg4cf;3290764... said:
Still do not know why brand new scopes are coming with the zero stop adjusted so you don't get max travel. That's odd.....

They are adjusted so you have max travel. They are set at the exact middle of the mechanical adjustment range. When you then mount that new scope on a 20 MOA base you are in effect now 5.7 Mils or so, too high in regards to POI.....If you mounted the scope in a 0 MOA base you'd be near right on.

If they set the zero stop to account for a 20 MOA base, guys with 0 MOA bases would be doing the complaining.....

Can you clarify what you meant by saying they are adjusted so you have max travel? The XRS is supposed to have around 35 mils of elevation travel. New out of the box it only had 18 mils of adjustment available, from bottomed out to topped out, so I could not adjust down enough for 100 yard zero. I had to reset or back down the zero stop to allow the scope to have an actual adjustable range of 35 mils from bottomed out to topped out. There was nothing wrong with the scope, but there was nothing in the manual or on the manufacturer web site saying they are shipped that way. Do all manufacturers ship new scopes with zero stops set at mid travel, when they are equipped with adjustable zero stops?