• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Buying a motorcycle

rsee03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
A little here, a little there
Gents,

I’m looking at maybe buying a new motorcycle; Yamaha WR250R . MSRP is listed at $6700.

Last time I bought a bike was my Harley from the military overseas sales program. You paid the price listed.

I’ve never paid MSRP for a vehicle. What would one expect to pay for the Yamaha with miltary or first responder rebates? I know location matters. I live in Iowa.

Want something for some fun before I retire.

If it doesn't have knobbies then it is not a motorcycle.

Reactions: strk3
Kinda pricey for that little thing... Is dual sport what you require?

A ninja 400 would be more fun on the road and cheaper by a ways. Won't do shit on the farm or range though obviously.

Otherwise, don't give the dealer more than 5799$ - after the riding season is over... No deals in summer for sure unless they're in a bind.

Yeah, they are expensive. Fuel injected I think bumps up the price. Gotta be a dual-sport. I’m not looking for a straight street bike. I live in rural Iowa.

Thanks for the help.

MSRP + Set Up + Dealer Prep + Dealer handeling + Tax.

There are VERY few dealers who will not add Dealer Prep, Dealer Handling, and Set Up.

And why I usually buy used. ONCE in awhile you'll find a dealer deal on Craig's List or IF they have leftovers you can haggle a bit.

Shop around and you might have to travel to get the price you want. There were a couple dealers who'd sell cheaper and ship but at least Honda will not allow those type of sales any longer, due to complaints from other dealers and being undersold, or you'll lose your dealership status. Not sure about Yamaha.

And IF I was looking at the WR250R I'd also consider the KTM 300 2 stroke in the flavor of your choice. I prefer the XC-W. But I don't know what your plan is and can only assume you're looking for trail/offroad riding. But that's another thread. ;)

I don’t mind traveling. Right now I’m looking at one about 7 hours away. Ive been looking at used, but people still want $3000 for 2008s. For that price, I might as well buy new. Bikes 2-3 years old are not to be found.

Winter will come. Patience should be my friend. KTMs are even more expensive.

Reactions: DGD6MM
What are you going to do with it.?

Have you considered the f version? Or is it mostly for road.?

Here's a good benchmark: https://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/350-exc-f/

Yes, they are expensive, but the engineering, build quality, and performance exceeds the competition making them a much better value. They also return higher resale values. In the end the net financial outlay and overall user satisfaction make them a win.

FWIW - I've had a lot of bikes off-road and on since 1970 and the 9 KTM's easily hold the top honors.

If I were you and wanted a dual sport, my first choice would be a KTM 500 EXC or a Husqvarna TE 501. You can buy one of these and sell it when it’s roached out 6 years from now, and still pull like $4500 for one. Jap bikes lose at least 30% of their value the moment you take it off the lot. KTMs and Huskies hold their value extremely well.

For a used option, consider a Honda CRF450X with blinkers and a street title. These bikes are bullet proof and have many Baja 1000 wins on them. Honda is about to release the new X that is fuel injected, new frame, 6 speed, etc, so that gives you more bargaining room on a used one. A Yamaha WR450F with blinkers and a street title would serve you well also.

I would also take a Suzuki DRZ-400 over that WR250 turd any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I’m on my third Husqvarna (Austrian made versions) and they’ve all been amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
The EXC F versions are good once you spen 1k getting them de choked. Their FI is so lean you choke it out and have stalling issues, once fixed, great bike, the Yammy FX version is the way to go. I own KTM and Husky right now and ride every weekend.

Here's a good benchmark: https://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/350-exc-f/

Yes, they are expensive, but the engineering, build quality, and performance exceeds the competition making them a much better value. They also return higher resale values. In the end the net financial outlay and overall user satisfaction make them a win.

FWIW - I've had a lot of bikes off-road and on since 1970 and the 9 KTM's easily hold the top honors.

Reactions: Desert_Racer
1533505978399.png
1533505978399.png

I would look around at dealers for leftovers. Im not familar with said wr model but i would consider a new leftover 2016ish or how ever old they have sitting around if there havent been any revisions to the model.
The last new bike i bought was a new 2008 i purchased late 09 for 4k less than msrp.

ALL the KTMs are electric start. Including the 2 strokes.

Gents,

I’m looking at maybe buying a new motorcycle; Yamaha WR250R . MSRP is listed at $6700.

Last time I bought a bike was my Harley from the military overseas sales program. You paid the price listed.

I’ve never paid MSRP for a vehicle. What would one expect to pay for the Yamaha with miltary or first responder rebates? I know location matters. I live in Iowa.

Want something for some fun before I retire.

Can't tell you what your discount will amount to. It's certainly a buyer's market right now, though.

The WR250R's reputation has earned it a spot on my short list of bikes to try. Hope you've got plenty of interesting back roads to explore down there.

I've been meaning to ride the northeast corner of your state for the last couple years, but just can't seem to find the time.

IMO DRZ 400 is a great bike power, tons of aftermarket stuff and can be had way cheap. The DRZ 250 is great and very well mannered but parts were harder to find. I have no personal experience with the particular WR you are looking at, but as everyone else has said. Whatever you buy purchase used and always haggle them down on the price. 90% of the time it works every time.

Well, I bought the WR250R and already traded it for a KTM 1090. Loved the WR250R but needed something heavier for highway travel. Wished I could've kept the WR250R but have too many toys to maintain the way it is.

The KTM is tall. Will need a lower seat.

have yah filled out the organ donor registry card yet?

Yeah, and it may behoove you list the ones you'll need as well!

My uncle used to drag race bikes, mostly Yamahas IIRC. Won the IHRA championship in early 80's one year. But all the wrecks took a serious toll on his body and by his 40's he couldn't ride anymore. He just died two weeks ago, the youngest death of that generation in my family; he was 63. The wrecks most definitely led to him having a shorter life.

I'd LOVE to get a bike --and fly like the wind because that's how I roll-- and wind up in ICU because that's also how I roll. But I'd still walk by that bike dealer on the way to the pub with the Ducati's and those badass belt and carbon fiber driveshaft models. Damn I wanted one. And the prices for those bikes they had, those Ducati's and those other monsters were not all that bad. Even affordable?

So IF I was to get one, it'd be one of those wicked bikes sold on Aurora Ave. in Seattle somewhere on the 80 block. OR a parts bike, a cruiser or a chopper, sorta like what we do with AR's.

Man are you a naive fucktard, you fill that shit out, they keep you plugged in until they can find the highest bidder on your parts then they put the sales pitch on your old lady to unplug your ass and do "someone else a favor" that she will get the life insurance and feel good about herself, while they make millions selling your parts. Uncheck that shit on your license, they will then try to milk your insurance by saving your ass. Dont e stupid or naive

have yah filled out the organ donor registry card yet?

$4500 and I’ll ship it to ya.

2006 525exc
580 stoker kit with less than 15 hours since install, bike has maybe 20 hours when the kit was installed
2 sets of wheels, dirt and super moto
Plated, current reg, lights blinkers
Plenty of KTM hardparts

59ACCFF5-A203-47EE-AA9F-D5A0C5776DC7.jpeg

A0B44975-833B-40EE-9C49-83CAAF4CAB87.jpeg