• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Buying a POF black or NP3??

Camo_crawler

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2009
Hello all, i am in the very near future going to be buying a POF 308 and was wondering what the benefit if there is one of the NP3 versus the black. and which would you get?

Re: Buying a POF black or NP3??

I could only get NP3 when I bought my P-308, so I got NP3 and haven't looked back. If I could do it all over again, I honestly don't know if I'd opt for the black or not because the NP3'd rifle is just EASY as hell to maintain (inside and out).

Like folks have said, whether you opt for black or NP3, the internals will still be NP3 so you still get the corrosion resistance/lubricity on the internals/bearing surfaces.

Honestly, if you can get one versus the other for any cheaper...get the cheaper one and get to shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Camo_crawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all, i am in the very near future going to be buying a POF 308 and was wondering what the benefit if there is one of the NP3 versus the black. and which would you get? </div></div> As mentioned, if you think you may refinish the rifle go with Anodizing.
Finished don't stick to well to NP3

You can't have NP3 on the inside of the upper with anadozing on the outside. Its either completely NP3 or anodized, the application process doesn't allow for it to be a mixture of the two. The BCG and gas plug will have NP3 coating if you go with the anodized.

Go with the NP3 finish, and don't look back.

That is what I thought as well.

Yet, I have an older POF that is chromed inside the upper receiver and black on the outside. From my discussion with Robar about the NP3, they made it sound like only a complete coating of a part was possible. I wonder how POF does different finishes on the inside and out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't have NP3 on the inside of the upper with anadozing on the outside. Its either completely NP3 or anodized, the application process doesn't allow for it to be a mixture of the two. The BCG and gas plug will have NP3 coating if you go with the anodized.

Go with the NP3 finish, and don't look back.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dtarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an older POF that is chromed inside the upper receiver and black on the outside.</div></div>

My new black POF is the same.

My 2010 production POF is silver on the inside of the upper and black outside. If its not Np3, then what is it?

NP3 and NP3+ are both applied through chemical baths, you can't do NP3 and a secondary finish on the same part. I do not know what POF does to finish the inside of the receivers, but I do know billet uppers have a similar look to NP3. Take a look at one of Spike's Tactical billet upper made by Glenn Seekins, they look like they are finished in satin also.

I'm pretty sure the interior coating on the older black POF receivers is some nickel teflon type coating, not NP3. I remember back when POF was having lots of quality control issues, one of those issues were flaking of the interior coating. I don't think NP3 flakes off. I also remember them coating the sliding portion of the charging handles. Doesn't seem like they're doing that anymore.

Both my .223 and .308 are NP3 uppers and lowers. I like the silver finish over the black.
P3150515.jpg

P3290525.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't have NP3 on the inside of the upper with anadozing on the outside. Its either completely NP3 or anodized, the application process doesn't allow for it to be a mixture of the two. The BCG and gas plug will have NP3 coating if you go with the anodized.

</div></div>

Hate to burst your bubble but black anodized POF uppers have silver nitrided interiors. I apologize if you can't wrap your head around it, but its true.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">
Ancient Chinese Secret</span>-modern American proprietary info.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't have NP3 on the inside of the upper with anadozing on the outside. Its either completely NP3 or anodized, the application process doesn't allow for it to be a mixture of the two. The BCG and gas plug will have NP3 coating if you go with the anodized.

</div></div>

Hate to burst your bubble but black anodized POF uppers have silver nitrided interiors. I apologize if you can't wrap your head around it, but its true.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">
Ancient Chinese Secret</span>-<span style="text-decoration: line-through">modern American proprietary info</span>.......
laugh.gif
Modern chemisrty

</div></div>

whistle.gif
Not busting my bubble, modern chemistry. Application process was my curiosity since they don't advertise is as NP3 on the anodized uppers, but Silicon Nickel. Which by your statement of Silver Nitride actually explains their proprietary finish application, as well as the flaking issues they had early on. Silicone Nickel is their Marketing term for it, then the its the application process silver nitride (AG3N). Oh well, modern marketing nothing mysterious.

Actually you are correct in that it is Nickel, not Nitride.....
I shouldn't post when tired-I was thinking of the Nitride from the barrel's treatment.

But they do anodize the outside and plate the inside.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually you are correct in that it is Nickel, not Nitride.....
I shouldn't post when tired-I was thinking of the Nitride from the barrel's treatment.

But they do anodize the outside and plate the inside. </div></div>

I understand that, the point was being made regarding NP3's application process, and trying to understand the finish inside the anodized recievers. In earlier post people were mistaking it for NP3, and there is some ambiguity there with the descriptions. Understanding how NP3 is applied, the question that was being raised, was what was the silver inside the anodized receivers since Silicon Nickel is a marketing term as opposed to an actual type of finishing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the benefit of the NP3 over the black anodized?

I like how one looks versus the other, but is one "better" than the other for some reason? </div></div>

I don't think one is actually <span style="font-style: italic">better</span> than the other, but I have the NP3 version and I get a LOT of looks and compliments. It's definitely the nicer looking of the two, IMO of course.

Regarding whether one is better than the other, NP3 is better, however POF has improved their anodized rifles by using a similar material to NP3 that they term as Silicone Nickel on the interior of the reciever. Combine that with a BCG that is NP3 coated, and the result is almost as good as a NP3 coated receiver.

NP3 is a electroless nickel application combined with Teflon. The finish allows for several things regarding to function; a superior lubricity and lower coeffecient of the mechanism's utilizing the finish without having to use conventional oils, extensively longer durations of use between cleanings, ease of cleaning due to the natural lubricity of the teflon, and though it is a satin nickel finish, it is non-reflective. Because the Teflon is actually locked into the nickel matrix, it actually makes the finish self lubricating. Meaning that as wear occurs, the teflon does not wear off.

From the standpoint of application, NP3 is able to be applied very accurately to the surface, approximately .002 of an inch, allowing for consistant thickness throughout the surface its applied to without affecting the mechanical tolerances of the components. It has a very high Rockwell rating which is neccassary in harsh environments, allowing for excellent corrosion and abrasion resistance.

Lastly, NP3 allows for mechanical tolerances that may become out of spec on stainless steel during its use to excessive use to wear evenly and not on the substrate. basically, if you have components that may creat galling in high use areas, the galling occurs on the NP3 and not on the substrate or plated surface. NP3 is also completely strippable with no ill affect on the substrate it is applied to.

I do not work for Robar, but I have been using their finishes for years on my hard duty use weapons.

So on their AR's that are NP3 coated vs anodized, which parts are affected? I mean you see the outside of the lower but that is just cosmetic - what parts that matter are coated that would actually give you the performance increase or security with lubricity or wear?

Sorry for the questions - I'm new to AR's and so I'm not sure what to ask exactly to determine what might make something superior to something else. Does that make sense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So on their AR's that are NP3 coated vs anodized, which parts are affected? I mean you see the outside of the lower but that is just cosmetic - what parts that matter are coated that would actually give you the performance increase or security with lubricity or wear?

Sorry for the questions - I'm new to AR's and so I'm not sure what to ask exactly to determine what might make something superior to something else. Does that make sense? </div></div>

The entire bolt is coated, making for a oily feel that doesn't actually <span style="font-style: italic">require</span> lubrication. Until you've actually touched it yourself, it's hard to explain. If I were you, I would definitely get the NP3 version. You will <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So on their AR's that are NP3 coated vs anodized, which parts are affected? I mean you see the outside of the lower but that is just cosmetic - what parts that matter are coated that would actually give you the performance increase or security with lubricity or wear?

Sorry for the questions - I'm new to AR's and so I'm not sure what to ask exactly to determine what might make something superior to something else. Does that make sense? </div></div>

The entire bolt is coated, making for a oily feel that doesn't actually <span style="font-style: italic">require</span> lubrication. Until you've actually touched it yourself, it's hard to explain. If I were you, I would definitely get the NP3 version. You will <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> be disappointed. </div></div>

How long is that coat supposed to last?

Lifetime from Robar. If it gets squirrelled up, they will strip and recoat it. I have several Glocks and a Beretta that have been through the ringer for over fifteen years of law enforcement with no issues and minor cosmetic scuffs, but no flaking or peeling, and the NP3 is still as smooth as when I had it applied. The texture feels like armorall, very slick.

So the NP3 coating on the POF's are lifetime warranty?

I'm liking the POF more and more. I really haven't heard much if anything that is negative about them. Being a first time buyer I'm not seeing how I could go wrong in buying a POF - or have I missed something?

Other than cost, as in being able to buy the parts separately and building one cheaper, I think it's as good as any others out there from what little research I've done. That and maybe the LaRue seem to be highly spoken of.

If you look hard enough, you're going to find negative reviews for POF. However, Frank stands behind his hardware and he has <span style="font-style: italic">always</span> made it right. When POF-USA got started, they had some growing pains such as customer service issues, etc. They've come a long way since then, so buy with confidence.

I bought my POF 20" P-308 in May. It's the first firearm I have ever purchased, and I've never regretted it for a minute. Everyone has their preference in color, and I prefer the NP3. There are TONS of black rifles and I wanted something a little different. The NP3 version is definitely the eye-catcher and when I order my POF 416, it will also be NP3 coated.

I actually prefer the look of the all black, but if the NP3 coating is better... well, I'll probably get the NP3 simply to know things are going to function better because of it.

If it's more practical to have the one coated with the NP3 then that makes the most sense rather than choosing the black over that simply for how it looks.

I'm going to get the 415, 18" model.

Thereafter I'll have to choose some back-up iron sites, maybe an optic sometime later. I think I'll get some of the magpul magazines as well - they seem to have fairly good reviews. But... I don't want to pull this thread too far off topic.

the np3 look is too flashy in my opinion. why cant they make black np3?
im really looking at buying a 16 inch 308 pof rifle... dont want a silver gun though. im kinda see sawing between the dpms mk 12 in 308 and the pof... 700$$ difference. could get a better optic with the dpms, but not as good of a rifle. what to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually prefer the look of the all black, but if the NP3 coating is better... well, I'll probably get the NP3 simply to know things are going to function better because of it.

If it's more practical to have the one coated with the NP3 then that makes the most sense rather than choosing the black over that simply for how it looks.

I'm going to get the 415, 18" model.

Thereafter I'll have to choose some back-up iron sites, maybe an optic sometime later. I think I'll get some of the magpul magazines as well - they seem to have fairly good reviews. But... I don't want to pull this thread too far off topic. </div></div>

the Troy low profile sights available from POF complement the POF's rail height. regular BUIS's may be too high for many.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: battle-scarred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the np3 look is too flashy in my opinion. why cant they make black np3?
im really looking at buying a 16 inch 308 pof rifle... dont want a silver gun though. im kinda see sawing between the dpms mk 12 in 308 and the pof... 700$$ difference. could get a better optic with the dpms, but not as good of a rifle. what to do? </div></div>

On the contrary, it doesn't reflect any light whatsoever, if that's what you meant by "flashy".

As far as choosing between DPMS and POF, you get what you pay for. The POF is much easier to clean and in my opinion, a much better rifle.

Like yourself, I was trying to decide which brand I wanted when I purchased my POF. Initially, I wanted and always had my heart set on getting a DPMS SASS-308. In a last minute decision, and because of what all came with my rifle, I spent a few hundred dollars more and bought the POF.

I have never had a doubt about my rifle and I'm confident the right choice was made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Troy low profile sights available from POF complement the POF's rail height. regular BUIS's may be too high for many. </div></div>

Good to know - thanks. It seems like Troy sites come up a fair amount when I read so they must be good stuff.

So to verify I emailed a guy at POF that I had been asking a few questions. Here is what I asked:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On the models that are black anodized, are the bolt, receiver, extractor, firing pin and gas plug all coated with NP3? Or how are those parts treated?</div></div>

His answer:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The internals on the black are coated in Np3 as well.</div></div>

So, that being the case, is it really anything other than cosmetic? I mean, yes the NP3 on the receivers outside is going to wear better but how much wear does that receive? That'll be dependent on how rough you are with your weapon I guess, but other than that?

Still just trying to see the benefit of one over the other if the internals are coated the same on each.

With the internals being the same on both rifles, the choice is yours as to which finish you want on the exterior. Yes, the NP3 is going to wear better but as long as you take care of your rifle, you won't have anything to worry about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just saw the prices go up on the web page. anything news on whats changing? </div></div>

That is the manufacturers <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">suggested</span></span> retail price. You can get one cheaper on Gunbroker or through an authorized dealer. Here's a prime example, and if you're serious about getting one, you'd better not pass up this deal.

<span style="font-weight: bold">POF 20" P308-20-MRR-308 GAS PISTON AR-10 $2299 on GUNBROKER</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just saw the prices go up on the web page. anything news on whats changing? </div></div>

That is the manufacturers <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">suggested</span></span> retail price. You can get one cheaper on Gunbroker or through an authorized dealer. Here's a prime example, and if you're serious about getting one, you'd better not pass up this deal.

<span style="font-weight: bold">POF 20" P308-20-MRR-308 GAS PISTON AR-10 $2299 on GUNBROKER</span> </div></div>

Already got one but that is a HELL of a deal! I hope someone jumps on that as the uppers are over 1800 so a complete rifle for 500 more is a deal. I think I paid something like 2600 for my setup. And if the bonus comes through at the end of the year I might be getting a second one for the safe.