• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Buying a POF black or NP3??

Re: Buying a POF black or NP3??

Great choice! Trust me, you'll not only love the feel of the NP3 but you'll be equally pleased with how it looks. Where did you get it from, if you don't mind? If you were to purchase it on Gunbroker, you could get it NIB within a week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam Hail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back to your question Camo -
What color does NOT occur naturally in nature . . . . . Black
My that NP3 is sexy ! </div></div>

lets start with this I can go on but I doubt low light wants this site to look like marlin perkins wild kingdom

black-bear-returning.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading this thread I have decided to go with the NP3. Hopefully I will have my POF P308 by the end of the year.

The real question is what about the new HSR hand rail?
Does any one have experience with one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5zVXlQtn0 </div></div>

As soon as it's available for the P-308, I'll be placing an order for one. I may call POF on Monday and inquire as to when they will begin production.

I'd go black, for a lot of the same reasons stated by others. The NP3 doesn't really look right to me, and being a piston upper, the coating isn't really doing a whole lot to help.
Ultimately just get which ever YOU think looks better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great choice! Trust me, you'll not only love the feel of the NP3 but you'll be equally pleased with how it looks. Where did you get it from, if you don't mind? If you were to purchase it on Gunbroker, you could get it NIB within a week. </div></div>

Right now I'm setting aside 200 per week for the POF fund. I have $1,200. So like I said "before the next year."

After I get the rifle I plan on just keeping Troy Industries irons on it for the time being and getting a 22MOA riser with Talley Tactical 34mm rings and a Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 PMII LP. Anyone know where to get good deals on S&B?

(sorry a little thread drift)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great choice! Trust me, you'll not only love the feel of the NP3 but you'll be equally pleased with how it looks. Where did you get it from, if you don't mind? If you were to purchase it on Gunbroker, you could get it NIB within a week. </div></div>

Right now I'm setting aside 200 per week for the POF fund. I have $1,200. So like I said "before the next year."

After I get the rifle I plan on just keeping Troy Industries irons on it for the time being and getting a 22MOA riser with Talley Tactical 34mm rings and a Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 PMII LP. Anyone know where to get good deals on S&B?

(sorry a little thread drift) </div></div>

Good luck with the new purchase. I handle my rifle nearly every day. It's truly my pride and joy and I can hardly wait to top it with a NightForce and suppressor, which will finish out the package.
cool.gif

If you haven't ruled out other brands for optics, you should seriously consider a NightForce NXS.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bear Basin Outfitters - Top 10 Best Selling Long Range Scopes</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you haven't ruled out other brands for optics, you should seriously consider a NightForce NXS.
</div></div>

I have considered all of these options for scopes. S&B, Zeiss, Leopold, Premier Heritage, NightForce, SWFA, IOR, US Optics, and Swarovski.

Don't get me wrong all of these scopes are very fine glass. Schmidt and Bender became my choice because of quality of the glass and construction, along with their reputation of excellence. After handling a 5-25x56 and comparing it to a Leopold MK4 and Nightforce NXS side by side to me the S&B was a better product. Aside from S&B and Premier Heritage all of the other manufactures products are found in your average gunshow / gunshop. On top of everything else having something that people outside of F class and 3 gun competitions don't normally see gets you great range attention haha!! All of this on top of being a FFP along with a illuminated P4 reticle is just icing on the cake with sprinkles on top!

I've not had the opportunity to handle anything other than Leupold and finally a NightForce NXS at Wanenmacher's World Arms show in Tulsa, OK, this month. I'd always had my eyes on a NightForce but it wasn't until I had the chance to examine one in person that I knew it was what I wanted.

I was watching a show on The Military Channel called "Top 10 Sniper Rifles" which demonstrated the best sniper rifles in the world and more than half of them were using the NightForce NXS with a couple of them looking as if what might've been U.S. Optics and something else that I couldn't recognize.

Before anyone claims that it was an advertising/marketing ploy, there wasn't a single mention of NightForce nor was there any commercials for it. I just happened to notice what optics were mounted on the rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was watching a show on The Military Channel called "Top 10 Sniper Rifles" which demonstrated the best sniper rifles </div></div>

And its the same show that keeps showing a graphic of a 7.62X39 whan they are describing the 7.62 Nato round. That particular show IIRC does have a bit of marketing driving content.....

Just curious, have you shot you POF/NF combo in any comps yet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I was watching a show on The Military Channel called "Top 10 Sniper Rifles" which demonstrated the best sniper rifles </div></div>

And its the same show that keeps showing a graphic of a 7.62X39 whan they are describing the 7.62 Nato round. That particular show IIRC does have a bit of marketing driving content.

Just curious, have you shot you POF/NF combo in any comps yet? </div></div>

I'm only a weekend shooter when I have the time. Why do you ask? For what it's worth, I've spoken with a few who happen to have the NXS 5-22x56mm mounted on a POF and they've nothing but good to say about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The real question is what about the new HSR hand rail?
Does any one have experience with one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5zVXlQtn0 </div></div>

Scottmilk9 came up with the inspiration for the HSR while he was at POF, and its a great setup. Not sure if its in full production yet but I run one on my comp 6.5 Creedmoor:
pofhunterrail003.jpg

Sobrbiker883, that is one badass setup you have. VERY nice! How are you liking the new HSR hand rail and how much did it set you back? I'll be glad when I can get one for my P-308.

I like the HSR not only for the slimmer feel of the forend with out all the rails, but primarily for the fact that I can get a scope that much lower. Given the choice, I would have taken the entire top off because I don't run BUIS or NVG on my rifle, but I know Frank's reason for leaving it there.

Mine's one of the first out was given to me to T&E on my Team POF 6.5 Creedmoor....

The only issue of fitting the HSR to older MRR rifles is the fact that the bayonet lug will need to be milled ot ground off. The HSR will just fit over the lug, but its tight enough that contact is made when shooting off a bipod.

I'm not sure if they are available as a seperate part, but I knwo the upper/forearm/barrel nit packages are available ont eh website under "upper accessories".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Battista74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you haven't ruled out other brands for optics, you should seriously consider a NightForce NXS.
</div></div>

I have considered all of these options for scopes. S&B, Zeiss, Leopold, Premier Heritage, NightForce, SWFA, IOR, US Optics, and Swarovski.

Don't get me wrong all of these scopes are very fine glass. Schmidt and Bender became my choice because of quality of the glass and construction, along with their reputation of excellence. After handling a 5-25x56 and comparing it to a Leopold MK4 and Nightforce NXS side by side to me the S&B was a better product. Aside from S&B and Premier Heritage all of the other manufactures products are found in your average gunshow / gunshop. On top of everything else having something that people outside of F class and 3 gun competitions don't normally see gets you great range attention haha!! All of this on top of being a FFP along with a illuminated P4 reticle is just icing on the cake with sprinkles on top!
</div></div>

Good choice. You will be more than happy with the S&B. Pick up some 1" height rings and a Badger 22 MOA rail and it will sit perfectly on your rifle.

P3290525.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sulenski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just saw the prices go up on the web page. anything news on whats changing? </div></div>

The choice of the HSR or a Tactical rail is the reason for the increase in MSRP. At least, that's what the sales guy said when I emailed them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N3TD3ViL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you haven't ruled out other brands for optics, you should seriously consider a NightForce NXS.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bear Basin Outfitters - Top 10 Best Selling Long Range Scopes</span> </div></div>

Hmm... more thread drift, sorry, but they don't sell Vortex. I wonder where a comparable Vortex would land in their line-up if they sold them.

Love the scope. Perfect scope in my opinion. Have 2 of them. I don't think it's too heavy at all. People get too hung up on things like that. Maybe if it was a short range 16" .223 a 1-8x would be more appropriate but it's a 20" .308 long range rifle and deserves a proper scope for it's use. So it weighs a few ounces more than another scope? Big deal. If a few ounces of the scope is going to be a hindrance then you need to hit the gym a little more
wink.gif

Well all of the S&B Scopes 3-12X50, 4-16x50 and the 5-25X56 are all really about the same price.... Because honestly whats $200-$300 when your spending $3000 anyways. Might as well get the best.

So is your S&B 5-25 P4,P4F?

(Sorry I totally hijacked this thread and took it on a tri-state pursuit!)