• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Cabelas Decline

Bass Pro is anti gun. I was talking to a firearms manager about offering defensive shooting classes through them. The manager informed me that Bass Pro does not sell defensive firearms. I asked him if his customers were buying those J-frame revolvers for hunting

Never set foot in a bass amateur since.

hlee in post #40. About diversification by City planners, you are spot on. You should not have all of your eggs in one basket and Sidney did not. They pushed all kinds of things, some worked out and some didn't.
A bit of history, and the Depot is a big one you should read up about.
There used to be the Sioux Ordnance Depot there before Cabelas that employed many but shut down after the war years and many of those facilities were used by local people, including Cabelas warehouse area, to build things like Egging Tractor cabs before that was a thing that the Govt. with OSHA brought to be, and an Electrical Company that I think is still going, and a Tech. Collage and numerous machine shops supporting the Oil Patch, a railroad car repair facility, many that still remain and some that don't but they can only offer a limited amount of jobs.

Cabelas on the other hand started out there with an old 2 story brick building down by the railroad tracks to the North of Main St. that is US 30 so they got a lot of drive by customers and the Bargain Basement was just exactly that, all of the returned shit that was serviceable was there greatly marked down and quite a few jobs but nothing like later on.

When Interstate 80 came through, several miles South of town, much of the traffic was no longer coming by and the whole community felt that just like any and all other communities all across the nation when they got bypassed.

With a bit of thought by the business people of the area, a lot of them moved South to be near the Interstate and Cabelas built a Big store and later built a Big Office complex that employed thousands of people from all over the area. A lot of people used to commute there from miles around. A lot of businesses stayed to the North of town in the Industrial Area also.

Sidney is not a "Ghost Town," quite the opposite, there are still a lot of jobs in the area, but the Buyout of Cabelas has for sure hurt the area and it is sad to see all of the jobs gone and that BIG Office complex sitting vacant other than skeleton crews that try to keep the nice new building from freezing up.

May be that someone will buy it up for pennies on the Dollar and get something going on. I hope so. FM

Cabelas was great up until they became an open stock company. Then they started hiring management from Home Depot and Lowes who had no effing clue about the attitudes and mentality of hunters, and what we expected from them.

I told them at the time. I was affiliated with the company. They did not want to hear it. They were cutting cost while riding high on their reputation.....a situation that always comes to a bad end.

Later still, about 10 years ago they began to feel the effects of their stupidity, but they decided to go further from their early success and double down on failure, so they began making some horrific business decisions - opening up stores at terrible locations - antigun states, cities where there is no real wilderness or hunting opportunities within 50 or 100 miles, with no ambiance or draw for people to go there from out of state, like they did with the old stores. I told them, and they didn't want to hear it. They were dead set on their "business model" drawn up by their ex-Home Depot managers. To them (as we quoted them at the time) "a gun is a sweatshirt is a box of drywall screws, there is no difference in how you sell it".

At that point, I guess I was "too negative" about the direction of the company and "not onboard with the company's vision" so they pushed me out from my management position. And from there, as I watched from the other side of the door, the company really went to hell, just as me and all the other employees who worked there because of our love of hunting had said it would.

Now they have turned into Bass Pro. The stores are getting ragged and worn out, lights are burned out, the mounts are faded and missing hair, there are fewer people visiting, even on weekends, and the endcaps where interesting merchandise used to hang, is now full of hats and other assorted bullshit. My prediction: Soon they will become a clothing store with a small sporting goods department, and after that they will become Dicks. Very sad.

Last edited:
I have a couple "mom and pop" stores close to me. They get all my business.

I go by a Cabelas every month, going to monthly doctor's appointment, and have stopped in a couple times just to browse. They are a good place to find what you want and then purchase through a local indy shop.

Reactions: Blutroop
I got a Bass Pro card shortly after the merger since I wanted a second Capital One card that accrued points. Primarily I only shop at Bass Pro and Cabela’s online selectively for sale items and things that the manufacturer sets the selling price.

Optics are one such as the 5-25x Gen 2 PST I bought my brother last year, it was listed at the standard $999 and due to sales and their promotions I got it 10% off and added $200 in club points to my card. Or reloading supplies, they had a running sale of Hornady brass and bullets last year for cheaper than I could find anywhere else.

That being said if Midway or Brownells offered a credit card I’d probably pick up one of those as I shop there way more.
I do exactly the same thing. I selectively buy from Cabelas but my patience is running out.

I grew up in Sidney and have fond memories of riding my bike to the old downtown store so I could spend my lawn mowing money in the bargain basement. I still have a lot of gear with the bargain basement XXX scratched into it! In its heyday, Cabelas was almost entirely a catalog business with only a couple of stores. They started an aggressive expansion in the early 2000s going from two stores to something like 80 and opening their own bank to finance their credit card. The only way to fund rapid expansion was to go public. The result was a loss of control. An activist hedge fund identified Cabelas as underperforming, purchased a 10% stake in the company and started pushing for a sale/merger. They talked enough shareholders into selling and walked away with close to a $100M profit on the transaction. A lot of the Cabelas magic disappeared 30 years ago but it is still sad to go into one of the stores and see the bargain cave filled with Bass Pro gear.

I started this and the point I'm making is Cabelas is overpriced BUT if you have their CC you can do a lot with their points and club member 10% off days or you used to be able to.

My big beef is the lost inventory. Look up rifle ammo. Half of what you want is backordered and take for example the Berger bullet selection. Right now nothing in 6.5 mm. THE most popular bullet on earth right now and they have nothing. They put A Tips in their recent holiday shooting catalog. They never showed up on the site to this day. I called CS, had to go to an outfitter as CS doesn't even know what I'm talking about and they tell me they got too little stock to put them on the site. What? it's in your catalog dolts.

I would also agree that in any Cabelas 75% of the people are in the G and A section so what gives? My guess is some MBA who is 28 is heading the buyer department and ordering nothing. Again where is the Nightforce NX8? They are selling like mad and good old Cabelas doesn't have them. Why?

I, too, stopped buying from Cabelas years ago; they just became too pricey. that was long before the buyout. saved quite a bit on powder just last month by buying from my local supplier/smith, who can actually answer questions. scheels seems to be hanging in there in this area.

I started this and the point I'm making is Cabelas is overpriced BUT if you have their CC you can do a lot with their points and club member 10% off days or you used to be able to.

My big beef is the lost inventory. Look up rifle ammo. Half of what you want is backordered and take for example the Berger bullet selection. Right now nothing in 6.5 mm. THE most popular bullet on earth right now and they have nothing. They put A Tips in their recent holiday shooting catalog. They never showed up on the site to this day. I called CS, had to go to an outfitter as CS doesn't even know what I'm talking about and they tell me they got too little stock to put them on the site. What? it's in your catalog dolts.

I would also agree that in any Cabelas 75% of the people are in the G and A section so what gives? My guess is some MBA who is 28 is heading the buyer department and ordering nothing. Again where is the Nightforce NX8? They are selling like mad and good old Cabelas doesn't have them. Why?
I think it is because most of the Sidney HQ folks that used to make all of the catalog and purchase decisions were let go. So, you have Bass Pro purchasers buying in an area that is out of their wheelhouse.

Reactions: Foul Mike
Your mom and pop has the selection of ammo, magazines, hunting boots, dog supplies, fishing supplies among other things that Cabelas has??? Please, let me know where this local shop is located.

I like their selection vvv FAR better than Cabarfas:

Yes, Cabelas has a big store with tons of nice stuff. I'd rather do business with experts that know WTF they are talking about.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Yes, Cabelas has a big store with tons of nice stuff. I'd rather do business with experts that know WTF they are talking about.

I've overheard a lot of good comments at Cabelas over the years. Real head-shaking stuff. Like:

customer: "I'm trying to reload for a 300 win mag, and I don't see any bullets for that. But there's a ton of these '.308' ones. That guy over there said they were the same thing....is that true?"
expert outfitter: "no, you really have to know what you're doing when you reload, and you have to be precise. Those are only for the .308. I guess we're out of the tips for a 300."

customer: "I have a 7x57, but all I see are these boxes of cartridges for a 7mm Mauser. Can I use them in this rifle?"
expert outfitter: "Oh, shit, no. You'll blow up yer gun. These are totally different bullets."

I've seen numerous outfitters look in the wrong end of a scope, and yes, I once saw a scout scope come out mounted backwards.

I don't know about the other two Cabelas' in MT, but the Billings' Cabelas pretty much sucks. Scheels and Shipton's Big R tend to have better deals.

The Billings store is tiny...

There's other Cabela's?

I go to Bob Ward's or sportsman's Warehouse in Bozeman or Scheels and big r in great falls. I won't bother going to Billings as it's nothing like the rest of MT.

I like their selection vvv FAR better than Cabarfas:

Oh I know these folks. I just really wish I had the coin to buy an AI AX from them. Bucket list item for me. My wife does not yet agree.

Reactions: TripleBull
The Cabelas in Okc used to be pretty decent, especially in the amount of reloading stuff they would carry but since they’ve been bought/merged by Bass Pro it’s almost a waste of time to even stop there.

You could go on and on about the decline. Take Winchester 6.5 Staball for example. It's all over. At Cabelas not a chance. To be honest it's almost like they are intentionally doing it. Another product I loved was B & P shotshells - Italian made best of the best. They were the only major retailer stocking them and they sold out over and over. All of the sudden they are gone. What brick and mortar walks away from something like that? You're biggest problem is having enough stock to sell and you step away? I hope someone at Cabelas who can do something about it is reading this. You are driving away a good portion of your once loyal customers. Why do you want that? Back to reloading bullets. I've been sorting by newest for months. It's still a Hornady .303 caliber that's been there for at least 6 months. If you sort the entire powder / primer section there is absolutely nothing that is labelled new. Next Brass - the newest thing and it's not marked new is Hornady Rifle Brass! My black card is getting cancelled. I earn all of these points and can't do anything with them and BTW if you take notice club 10% off plus free shipping days no longer apply to firearms. I know it's been declining but it's just about reached the level of no longer telling my family to buy me their gift cards as gifts. Mile High, Midway, boutique sellers the door is open to push Cabelas out of the firearm business. Heck, Cabelas and Bass Pro are just handing it over to you. Tikka T3X TAC A1 - none in stores. Sako TRG22 - gone. Ruger Precision Rifle Magnums - never added to the inventory. How many Rugers do you sell Cabelas? Why no RPR in 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua or 300 PRC. The first two have been out for over a year. Even the real tactical Bergara is gone. Nightforce NX8 - No sign. S & B - one model - yes one single model. Vortex AMG - Backorder with no expected delivery date. Total count on Semi-Auto rifles - 43 as of today. What happened? Is Bloomberg buying all of the stock?!?

I grew up in Sidney and have fond memories of riding my bike to the old downtown store so I could spend my lawn mowing money in the bargain basement. I still have a lot of gear with the bargain basement XXX scratched into it!

I read this post and thought to myself "Damn, when did I write this?!" I too grew up in Sidney and I often rode my bike down to the old brick building and my friends and I would spend hours in that store. Sidney was a great place to grow up.

During my military career people would often ask me where I was from and my stock answer was "Sidney, Nebraska" after a blank stare indicating they had never heard of it I would add "You know, the home of Cabela's". EVERYONE had heard of Cabela's.

Jim and Dick were good people who cared about their community, it is not a coincidence that the sale happened a few years after Dick's death.

In NJ Walmarts have become 'non-gun'. I can't even buy clays any longer for about a year now. No offense but it used to be funny as the local store had many people of Indian decent not American Indian heritage and they had no idea what clays were nor a shotgun BTW. One cashier started ripping a 90 pack open arguing that I couldn't possible get that whole box for $5.98. She planned to scan orange clays separately. I got the manager and he cleared it up, Now my club charges $15 for the exact same box 12 months later.

I travel for work and accumulate hotel points which I then trade for gift cards usually Cabela's cards. The prices were higher but what I was getting was essentially free or at a discount using gift cards. The last time I went to a Cabela's I'm walking around with $350 in free money and I could not find a single thing I wanted or needed. No bulk ammo which used to be great, no powder, no bullets, that I would want. no reloading supplies that would want . Walked out with nothing, it was sad. I guess I'll just keep saving them. It's like walking into an auto parts store and expecting to see auto parts and all you see is cheap shiny do dads.

Cabela's did away with the 5% military discount on firearms but brought it back. I purchased a pistol there a couple of months ago and got the 5% off.

I was surprised to learn about it and the sales representative told me that it was Bass Pro's doing but brought the discount back.

They will give veterans a discount on just about everything now.

I needed a primer pocket uniforming tool last week. The local reloading store doesn't list one. You know who did? Cabelas. Drive down there and there it was. Picked up a box of 74gr ELD-Ms while I was there. Paid with Cabelas points. And, this is one of their "Outpost" stores. For all of the talk about decline, they're still better than a poke in the eye. Some store are probably "better" than others, dictated by local managers and the local market/political environment.

I never shopped there much before. Either didnt have what I wanted or was way over priced. Usually just sale items. Get gift cards to there once in a while which is the only reason for me to go.

I met and visited with Dick Cabela several times. Very nice man. Pretty sure he is turning in his grave at what has happened to Sidney and the company. I would also bet knowing what happened, he would have preferred to keep it smaller vs what happened.

He once told me “You sound like an old fashioned American conservative...... And there is not a damn thing wrong with that.”
My chest puffed a little.....
A compliment from a guy I had known of since about age 6 and met later on. Their catalogs were like the Christmas Wish Book for me.

All said, I spend my $ at local shops mostly, except gift cards. Have several now so a trip is in order soon...

I read this post and thought to myself "Damn, when did I write this?!" I too grew up in Sidney and I often rode my bike down to the old brick building and my friends and I would spend hours in that store. Sidney was a great place to grow up.

During my military career people would often ask me where I was from and my stock answer was "Sidney, Nebraska" after a blank stare indicating they had never heard of it I would add "You know, the home of Cabela's". EVERYONE had heard of Cabela's.

Jim and Dick were good people who cared about their community, it is not a coincidence that the sale happened a few years after Dick's death.
I don't know about you but I was mesmerized by the giant bin of plastic fishing worms in the bargain basement. As a 10 year-old my tacklebox was filled with ridiculous plastic worms that never got used and wouldn't have caught anything if they ever were! If nothing else, the filled the space!

I also laugh with my family about the annual summer bargain basement sidewalk sale they would have out at the new store. It was a spectacle. I have vivid memories of the chaos... people rushing in and throwing whatever they could into giant piles, fighting over things, trying to crawl over the fence to get in. If I remember correctly, they stopped doing it after a couple of people got trampled.

I also laugh with my family about the annual summer bargain basement sidewalk sale they would have out at the new store. It was a spectacle. I have vivid memories of the chaos... people rushing in and throwing whatever they could into giant piles, fighting over things, trying to crawl over the fence to get in. If I remember correctly, they stopped doing it after a couple of people got trampled.

Oh yeah! Remember the Beanie Baby insanity?

I have about 2000 of them in bins throughout my house. The wife and mother in law went insane for about 2 years. This is my burden....

That's a lot of reactive targets!

Cabela's also sells the Cold Steel Big Bore blow gun. You could get one of those super silent death wind instruments and put the most despised of the stuffed-money-wasters against the wall and have a blast. Get more than one blow gun and have a Beanie Baby shooting party:)

I was in one today for some items. Brass reportedly listed as in stock on the website, was not in stock. Powder also listed as in stock, was nothing but an empty shelf. 180gr Sierra’s in stock, but weren’t. Large magnum rifle primers, same deal. I won’t bore you with the rest of my shopping list but I walked out without purchasing a single item on the list. All totaled up, they lost out on about 300 bucks or so that I was planning to spend. Other retailers who actually have what I need will get my business.

I am unaccustomed to shopping for pet food, rifles, and ammo in the same place. There is at least one chain that is better: sportsman’s warehouse.

For hunting and fishing, I’m sure there are locals that are far superior.l due to decades of local intelligence. Cabelas or Bass Pro would not be able to replicate. I’ve seen a few locals listed here. A few more in my local area:

Fran Johnson’s
Three Bears
Bob Wards
And half the hardware stores in the Jefferson and Madison valleys.