Can I get there or not?

CAG55

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2010
Kansas
Hy Folks,
I am trying to be able to shoot 1000yd 12" gong's! Not compition just for my own personal needs.I am disabled and spend lot of time in bed. In 2010 I bought a Olly 243WSSM AR upper, I have been working on loads every chance I get (not much) my back controls my life but if I am to have a life I just got to deal with it! The other day I got a good deal on a 18" - 6.5 Grendel barrel and I am putting it togehter as I can!
I am not saying that I can shoot 1000yds, im asking if one of my guns has what it takes to get out there??
243WSSM vs 6.5 Grendel?
I do a lot of reading on here and watch a bunch of AWESOME U tube video's I don't post much because I have nothing to ad. If and when I do, I will.
Greg

Re: Can I get there or not?

I don't know much about those calibers, but posting your shooting locations average Density Altitude, or at minimum the altitude of city your shooting in, will help the more knowledgeable guys answer correctly. Things like that make all the difference if your asking about stretching a calibers maximum effective range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAG55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hy Folks,
I am trying to be able to shoot 1000yd 12" gong's! Not compition just for my own personal needs.I am disabled and spend lot of time in bed. In 2010 I bought a Olly 243WSSM AR upper, I have been working on loads every chance I get (not much) my back controls my life but if I am to have a life I just got to deal with it! The other day I got a good deal on a 18" - 6.5 Grendel barrel and I am putting it togehter as I can!
I am not saying that I can shoot 1000yds, im asking if one of my guns has what it takes to get out there??
243WSSM vs 6.5 Grendel?
I do a lot of reading on here and watch a bunch of AWESOME U tube video's I don't post much because I have nothing to ad. If and when I do, I will.
Greg </div></div>

They'll both make it just fine. A 20 moa base will help you not run out of elevation on your scope.

I think you have a 10 twist in your 243wssm. Mine liked the 95 grain Bergers and 87 vmax with Varget,along with massive amounts of brass prep.

Steve you are right, my 243WSSM is a 1-10, I wished I would of known about Mike and the uppers he builds!! Anyway,Bohem, yes the 123gr bullet is what I am planning on shooting in the Grendel, I don't have it put together yet. I have a whole lot of work that I need to do. I been reloading since 1972 and I got buy just fine but I wasn't trying to do this type of shooting and I wasn't all broke down!!It was mentioned to me to read TresMon 5 chapter series on Reloading for Long Range, i would say I knew 80% of what he wrote but the other 20% was
AWESOME!! With that said, I am going to throw out all my load data that I was working on and start over fresh!
I am also going to take a extra pistol grip and cut it allmost all the way off so that my AR's will fit in my Lead Sledge and I am going to ty the sledge and the rifle down so tight nothing can move, of course nothing touching the barrel, that should take most of the human element out of my ladder testing.
Timelinex, i live in S.E. Kansas we always have high humidity!!!
Please feel free to correct me on anything I might say, I amm asking so that I can join the club!
I am great full?
I can't wait to hear from others.
Greg

The 87 gr Berger VLD will reach 1000 yrds fine.

But BC can be a challenge you since it's below .4 , so windys days are tough. But it's doable and a fun round that will not recoil hardly.

Radar,
I am going to test the 87gr bullets.I went a little over broad when I put the 243WSSM together, I went surfing and I did my best to buy every open box ox 6mm bullets that was for sale! If I was to do it over I would of bought a box of 85gr bullets and did ladder testing on that box of bullets, I would then buy a box of 95gr Nolser and test them. Then I could of compared the 85's to the 95's, and just maybe see if the grouping of the 95's were better than the 85's, then I would look at fine tuning around the 95's.If the 85's produced the better grouping I would have to buy a 69gr or 70gr bullet and ladder test the smaller bullet. From what little I have looked at I would pick the Berger 69gr because of the high BC than the 70gr bullet I have seen! .
I welcome any idea's good or bad.
Greg

The Berger 87's VLDs have a BC of .391 I believe. At MidwayUSA's website Berger advertises a BC of .412 for the same pill. I don't know about that. Either way it should take you to 1000 yards and a little beyond w/o problems.

70's do great for the 500 - 600 yards competitions. I sometimes develop a certain round for mid-range and a different one for LR.