Cartridge “optimization” formulae?

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
I have gotten the impression from reading some of the SH posts that there is some “optimization” formulae to determine whether a cartridge is properly “optimized’ (I think the idea is “balancing” a cartridges parameter – case shape, capacity, etc). I did searches on SH and found nothing. Is there such a “formulae” or anyone recall threads that touched on that?

Thanks.

Re: Cartridge “optimization” formulae?

My feeling is that what was mentioned was not QuickDESIGN. In any case, I believe you mean QuickLOAD which applies powder type and "calculates" a pressure value - given specific case and projectile physical and locational dims. You "design" in QuickDESIGN and then import to QuickLOAD for "evaluation".

ELR,
As im sure you are aware, every case design is different, with a different end goal. There is no magic formula. Expansion ratio and projectile weight to propellant charge are good starting points!

There are only four people that I am aware of who have a full theoretical understanding of case optimization, and none of them publish(ed).

Hays Zeigler, once in charge of R&D in this area at ATK, was very open to inquiries by amateurs like me... but with his passing a few years back, resources are limited.

Of all topics that could be subjected to analytical discussion on this board, internal ballistics is least likely to produce fruit beyond the basics.

PO Ackley talks about powder, bbl length, and bullet diameter ratios to describe a cartridge as being 'over-bore' in Handbook for Shooting and Reloading volume 1.

Powder Burns:

Thanks for the lead. I have Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders" (no "volume", circa early 50s, well worn bright yellow cover, yellow plastic spiral binding). No index or TofC, so may take a bit to find that info. But now I know to look. [Had some notes on a piece of paper in the back..."Rifle complete - $525 incl tax." An absolute pearl of a book.]

Thanks again and God Bless!