• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

F T/R Competition Case for an F-TR rifle

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    Since I got my rifle rebarreled it doesn't fit in any of my cases.

Pulled the tape on it today and it is right at 50", the long pelican is 50.5", not sure that will work w/o pulling the action out of the stock, which is fine for flying but I don't want to have to torque the action every time I go to a match.

Anyone else got any suggestions for a case that fits this overweight fly rod?

Re: Case for an F-TR rifle

Another +1 for Hafner... I had been using the black padded ones from OK Weber for a while, but the nose end seemed to wear out fast. I got one of the Hafner bags - I believe it was the Action Plus model for 52" scoped rifles and that thing is hell for stout. I refer to it as my 'pizza delivery' bag - its so well padded that if you put the gun away hot, it'll still be hot when you pull it out for the next relay
    wink.gif

I've got one coming that is very close to the same length. My thought was to use the Pelican with the rifle at an angle (corner to corner) to get a couple more inches. I was also planning to put the buttstock closer to the inside wall as the Pachmayr should provide some padding in and of itself. This would leave more foam at the muzzle end.

Part of that will depend on the height of your buttstock and how close you can get it into the corner. I measured it out a while back as you have, and my best recollection is that it was about an extra 1.5", which gave me close to 2" of foam between the muzzle and the inside of the case. I cut the foam to fit the shape of the rifle pretty snug, so I felt like that was enough. I'll have to go back and check again now that you raised this issue, just to be sure. Otherwise, I may have to be on the lookout for a new case myself. Let us know what you decide to go with and how it works out.

I've used the "Prone to Success". John Hamatas (?) makes really nice cases and it has been very durable for me. My 33.75" barreled rifle fits fine even with the butt plate pulled out to its proper place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used the "Prone to Success". John Hamatas (?) makes really nice cases and it has been very durable for me. My 33.75" barreled rifle fits fine even with the butt plate pulled out to its proper place. </div></div>

This one?

I had the same problem finding a case to fit my 50" rifle. I ended up getting the VOODOO Tactical 60" sniper drag bag scoped rifle case from Midway for $108.95. I don't know why they sell the coyote color for that price and the other colors for $180.95. Midway #144973.
    I like it alot, plenty of pockets to store other gear and its made very well. It even has a pocket for your cleaning rod.

I still have to get a drag bag, in the mean time I picked up a Plano. Inch and a half to spare with the butt against the other end.. Lots of foam surfaces on the front of the stock, scope, trigger and grip to keep it in place. And it was less than 1/2 the price of a Pelican.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have to get a drag bag, in the mean time <span style="font-weight: bold">I picked up a Plano</span>. Inch and a half to spare with the butt against the other end.. Lots of foam surfaces on the front of the stock, scope, trigger and grip to keep it in place. And it was less than 1/2 the price of a Pelican. </div></div>

I was going to recommend one of these to you. I've got a 30" barrel on my Open gun and it fits fine.

I find that cases made for shotguns and others made for two guns will often handle rifles of unusually larger lengths.

Here's one which may do the trick. Here's another.

Please note that either of these will accomodate a rifle of your length and none of them lists for over $35.

Another strategy might be to remove the butt pad for travel, mine has several stackers, and I can ususally save several inches in the process. I have a hex blade screwdriver with a ball end that fits my pad mounting screws and makes the process simpler.

I use an older Doscocil Gun Guard (now known as Plano Gun Guard) shotgun case that handles my 52" Ghost Dancer F Class rifle with an inch or two to spare.

Greg

A Tac-Ops "Long" will hold a PRT F/TR with a 30". Forward side pocket will hold a Sinclair bp. Pricey but if you want a drag bag style case it is a great item. Also AIM from the UK has a 60" target rifle case. Have seen one at a match, nice. The Prone to Success case is well made and good price for that quality. AG